Viciedo's First Performance Yesterday

DBAHO

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The early returns on Dayan Viciedo's bat? Worth the $10 million over four years that the White Sox paid for it.

His glove at third base? That's clearly a work in progress.

Making his Sox debut Thursday in a 4-1 win over Colorado, Viciedo went 1-for-3, singling to left field in his first at-bat, hitting into a double play and lining out to right.

''It was a good feeling to play a game in the big leagues,'' the 19-year-old Cuban defector said through interpreter Joey Cora. ''I felt relaxed.''

Now the bad. Viciedo booted a Scott Podsednik grounder in the third inning that was ruled a single by a player-friendly home scorekeeper. Omar Quintanilla lined a ball past him in the fifth, but in Viciedo's defense, it would have taken a Joe Crede-esque play to stab it.

''We all know he's going to get better,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''He's not there yet, but he will get better. That will come with time, and I'm pretty optimistic this kid will be a pretty good ballplayer.''

Viciedo admitted the balls jumped at him quicker than when he was playing in Cuba, but he insisted there was ''no problem'' with his defense.

''I understand that I need to continue to work,'' Viciedo said. ''And I know that's what it's going to take to be here.''

Overall, Guillen was impressed.

''He can swing the bat,'' Guillen said. ''He had good at-bats. He's not scared. Obviously, at third base, he's got to work a little more, but I like what I see with young kids.

''He hit the ball hard twice. Someday we'll say we didn't spend $10 million just because. This kid is going to be in the big leagues soon.''

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
So it really sounds like they are planning on Viciedo starting in the minors when Ozzie is saying he will be here soon.

He should go to the minors. He's 20. He's not a polished 3rd baseman, and he hasn't played enough of the other possible positions. Hopefully he has a nice season in Birmingham, and if he does well, comes up in September with Beckham and Flowers.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
He should go to the minors. He's 20. He's not a polished 3rd baseman, and he hasn't played enough of the other possible positions. Hopefully he has a nice season in Birmingham, and if he does well, comes up in September with Beckham and Flowers.

Flowers is a ways away.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
True. I mean if he tears up AA, I don't think a September callup is out of the question. Also depends on the 40-man roster at that time, since he would need to be added.

I would also imagine that if the white sox are out of the race, then they might get him up to the big club to take a look. If they are contending, then I don't see him up or playing much.