Jose Contreras

The Ginger Kid

It's pretty early to be starting an appreciation thread, but i have to raise a toast to Jose Contreras. He could've easily followed the prescribed rehab and returned mid-season, but instead he sacrificed, worked his ass off, dropped thirty pounds, all in effort to help our Chicago White Sox. Regardless of the results he has this season, I have an even greater appreciation for him as an athlete; my hat is off to you, El Titan de Bronze.

:cheers

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
Given how he was able to carry on after massive over-use/abuse in Cuba, I'd have to say that Jose is one of the most physically tough pro athletes I've ever seen.

Indeed. And what a great story it would be if he regains his 2005 form and leads another dominant staff to another, dare I say...

It IS his contract year. :gosox3:

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
It's pretty early to be starting an appreciation thread, but i have to raise a toast to Jose Contreras. He could've easily followed the prescribed rehab and returned mid-season, but instead he sacrificed, worked his ass off, dropped thirty pounds, all in effort to help our Chicago White Sox. Regardless of the results he has this season, I have an even greater appreciation for him as an athlete; my hat is off to you, El Titan de Bronze.

:cheers

I'm with you and I'll drink to that! :cheers

My favorite all-time Sox pithcer. No lie. The guys is cold as ice... he got an unfair shake in 2006 wiht all of his off-season problems, and I really would have liked to think he started to turn a corner last year before what COULD have been a career ending injury. I'd expect a nice bounce-back year from the Bronze Warrior, the makings of which could very much benefit the team's chances. Coop has already gone on record to say that Jose shold bne the prototype for this type of re-hab.

August 2005: 33.2 IP, 8 ER, 27 K (2.14 ERA)

September 2005: 45.1 IP, 10 ER, 35 K (1.99 ERA)

2005 Playoffs: 32 IP, 11 ER, 14 K (3.09 ERA)

April 2006: 37.1 IP, 6 ER, 17 K (1.45 ERA)

May 2006: 21.2 IP, 6 ER, 11 K (2.49 ERA)

Pretty good stretch.

I think Jose's arm is going to be a huge key to this season. If we are left looking for a replacement for him (and, possibly Colon), we could be in for a long year. Hopefully this spring hasn't been a mirage and he's actually healthy. Here's to you Jose! :cheers: