Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

What do we know about Dan Remenowski (Kanny closer)?

His numbers last year at GF and Bristol were very good - 0.44 ERA, 18 K in 18.2 IP. Now this year with Kanny - 1.72 ERA, very solid 0.83 WHIP, a ridiculous 5.50 GO/AO, and in 15.2 IP he has an insane 31 K, and only 2 BB. He just turned 23 so he's a bit old for his level, by maybe a year at most. BB Cube says he was UNDRAFTED.

Thoughts on this guy? I know numbers don't tell the whole story, but those aren't just numbers, those are NUMBERS.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
How does a guy without much stuff put up a 31/2 K/BB over 15 innings?

He's probably a gimmick pitcher, like Wasserman, throwing from a weird angle. You can get away with that in the lower levels, but as you rise you get hit more. I have no idea if he is a gimmick pitcher, but, yeah, his numbers are sick. And some gimmick pitchers do tend to have solid ML careers such as Wunsch.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
He's probably a gimmick pitcher, like Wasserman, throwing from a weird angle. You can get away with that in the lower levels, but as you rise you get hit more. I have no idea if he is a gimmick pitcher, but, yeah, his numbers are sick. And some gimmick pitchers do tend to have solid ML careers such as Wunsch.

Well I'm as big a Wassermann fan has anyone here, but, even Ehren never put up peripherals like what this guy is doing.

W-S' closer, Sant Luis, is struggling pretty badly. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Remenowsky up a level sometime soon to see if he's for real.

So, following on the discussions of the Winston-Salem phallic symbol... Every so often, I go check on Sergio Miranda, my former AAP now in the Brewers organization. He plays for the Brevard County Manatees.

If you go to their team page, you get to see what might be the saddest marketing slogan I've ever seen for a sports team: Fear the Sea Cow!

Could Beckham be the 3B of the future?

Fields - stinks

Viciedo - still a big question mark. Not only can he stick at third, but can he hit?

Gilmore - a lot of questions with him, but looks like his D leaves a lot to be desired

Morel - good defensively, but can he be an everyday player?

Retherford - still not sold on him. Hitting good in the minors is one thing, but the majors is another.

Interesting note to pass along. IF Sergio Santos, a spring training NRI for the White Sox, who was traded for future considerations to San Francisco, has been added to the Kannapolis roster as a pitcher. He somehow returned to the White Sox organization and has been in extended spring training converting to pitcher. Also, Mike Johnston was promoted to Charlotte from B'ham, Matt Zaleski was activated from B'ham's DL, Kyle Shelton was promoted to W-S from Kanny, Jorge Castillo and Santos were promoted to Kanny from extended spring training & Jordan Cheatham was reassigned to extended spring training.

Is Charles Leesman a legit prospect? Didn't someone post something that a guy with the Sox org. was talking about him having some serious stuff?

Also, what about Justin Greene. 2008 draft pick, batting .303 in Kanny right now. Doing pretty good, has an .871 OPS and has improved his K rate. Someone to keep an eye on.

Edited by BearSox

Didn't someone post something that a guy with the Sox org. was talking about him having some serious stuff?

The kid supposedly got/gained 2-3 mph on his fastball since he was drafted (I believe he is 93-96 now) slider/slurve is a biter with good movement and his changeup is like a sinker diving away from hitters and desceptive. Big frame guy, (left-handed which is always nice) He's developing a cut fastball right now, and he's still learning to command all of his stuff (esp. offspeed) regularly. He's got very nice upside, but his command (and developing those pitches more) will probably be the key for him to thrive or for his demise. (not everyone learns to harness their stuff so he's a wait and see) Haven't checked out his numbers at all this season FYI so hopefully he's doing well.

Charlie Shirek was promoted to B'ham to take Aaron Poreda's spot. With Colon going on the DL in Chicago, Poreda takes his spot. Tyson Corley, who for some odd reason was promoted from Kanny all the way to Charlotte, should be sent to W-S to take Shirek's roster spot.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
Charlie Shirek was promoted to B'ham to take Aaron Poreda's spot. With Colon going on the DL in Chicago, Poreda takes his spot. Tyson Corley, who for some odd reason was promoted from Kanny all the way to Charlotte, should be sent to W-S to take Shirek's roster spot.

Good on ya, Charlie. Should be interesting to see if he's really the prospect I think he is. I'm sure he'll have a few tough games at first, though.

I think other moves are in the making. I happened to go look at Remenowsky's page on MiLB (for another discussion), and he suddenly doesn't have a team associated with his profile.

Some info I saw on Stephen Sauer while digging through our current year selections:

Sauer struggled under a heavy workload, according to scouts, losing the life on his pitches. In the first half, the Western Nevada transfer sat at 88-91 mph with sink and a swing-and-miss downer breaking ball to go with a solid straight change and get-it-over slurve.

Sauer has been pitching great in his first full season. He got a 72K bonus last year as our 10th round selection.

22nd round selection, Zach Davidson, was a finalist for the Brooks Wallace Award, which goes out to the nations finest collegiate shortstop. Hits for average and played good defense in college.

Below is a link to some video of him hitting a double off a 94MPH fastball.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...ASQQndMFl-9QHSw

College Profile:

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=130