Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
I forget which one is higher or considered better... is Great Falls or Bristol the higher level?

Great Falls is the higher level. It's usually where we'll send the college players, whereas the high schoolers and younger international guys go to Bristol.

A couple of weeks ago I made the case that it would be interesting to realign the divisions in the minor leagues to simulate the major league divisions, to help stimulate rivalry and competition between some of the younger kids. This is from a couple of months back, but when the Cubs and Sox AA teams hooked up, some guy had pretty much the same idea as me. http://whitesox.scout.com/a.z?s=261&p=2&c=867401

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 12:04 AM)
A couple of weeks ago I made the case that it would be interesting to realign the divisions in the minor leagues to simulate the major league divisions, to help stimulate rivalry and competition between some of the younger kids. This is from a couple of months back, but when the Cubs and Sox AA teams hooked up, some guy had pretty much the same idea as me. http://whitesox.scout.com/a.z?s=261&p=2&c=867401

Teams like to have all their affiliates close together. Realigning for divisional rivalries would require uprooting who knows how many organizations. It makes things harder for the players, coaches, scouts, front office, everybody, and for what? Most of these players are never going to sniff the majors anyway, and a lot of them that do will do so with other organizations. Things are fine just the way the are.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
BriSox preview

The article talked about the manager and Upchurch, but there was an interesting quote from him: "Hopefully, I won’t stay down here long and get moved up to [Low-Class A] Kannapolis."

I like the cockiness. I wonder if it was something they told him if he did well. Maybe they were saving his arm and wanted to keep him away from the hitter's park (and league for the most part) in Great Falls.

I don't think it's cockiness at all. He's just a really nice prospect who will probably move quickly once he gets his shot at full season ball.

Not to mention that the divisions are set up regionally so that they don't have to spend a lot of time traveling. That's why they do the 5 game series. If they were to re-align the divisions they'd also have to move the teams.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 01:29 AM)
Teams like to have all their affiliates close together. Realigning for divisional rivalries would require uprooting who knows how many organizations. It makes things harder for the players, coaches, scouts, front office, everybody, and for what? Most of these players are never going to sniff the majors anyway, and a lot of them that do will do so with other organizations. Things are fine just the way the are.

Another thing to take into consideration is that teams usually switch minor league affiliates every couple of years. The division thing certainly is not a realistic idea, but a cool idea in an ideal world

Todd Gossage, son of Goose Gossage, has been signed out of the independent leagues and will play for Great Falls. He's 25 and he played the past three seasons for the Chico Outlaws in the Golden Baseball League.

So, Dan Remenowsky, after putting up some ridiculous peripherals as Kanny's closer and looked ready for promotion, has not pitched in a week. And he has apparently lost his closing job during that time to Tyson Corley.

Anyone have any news on what might be going on there?

Per JPN and FutureSox, Dan Black promoted to Kanny:

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=519

Daniel Black, after only three games in Bristol, has been promoted to Kannapolis. He’s the first member of the White Sox 2009 draft class to make it out of rookie ball.

In his three games with the BriSox, Black hit third in the lineup. The former Purdue Boilermaker played first base twice and played third base once. He was 4-12 with an RBI, a run and two strikeouts.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
At this point, anything we can get out of him is a bonus. He'd been pretty much written off the board.

Isn't he only like 19 still? Maybe just turned 20? I don't see how he can be written off already. He's not going to make any top prospect lists, but give him a couple years to work his way back. This whole thing for all we know could turn into a blessing in disguise. It's better he got hurt and ditched the slider early rather than advancing a few levels and then having to start from scratch again.

And I still like the pick BTW. Give me power armed high schoolers with injury concerns over soft-tossing college hurlers any and every day of the week. We're much likelier to at least get trade value out of those guys than we are to find an average or above soft tosser.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
So, Dan Remenowsky, after putting up some ridiculous peripherals as Kanny's closer and looked ready for promotion, has not pitched in a week. And he has apparently lost his closing job during that time to Tyson Corley.

Anyone have any news on what might be going on there?

So far 2 scoreless innings in the 8th and 9th tonight in a tie game for Remenowsky.

Great interview up at Sox Examiner with Tyler Flowers. Nice read, with a lot more about how quickly all the Birmingham kids befriended each other. http://www.examiner.com/x-425-Chicago-Whit...h-Tyler-Flowers Also, Flowers and Viciedo appealed to the White Sox higher-ups and were granted permission to play in both the Futures Game and the AA all-star game on consecutive days.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
That's awesome for Viciedo and Flowers... the AA All-Star game is in Birmingham, right? If so, you lucky bastard JPN!

Home run derby at Rickwood the day before too. I have tickets for both, they came with my season tickets package this year. Plus, the playoff tickets are comped for all season ticket holders.