Texas Gov: We May Need to Secede

HuskyCaucasian

Gov. Rick Perry: Texas Could Secede, Leave Union

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired up an anti-tax "tea party" Wednesday with his stance against the federal government and for states' rights as some in his U.S. flag-waving audience shouted, "Secede!"

An animated Perry told the crowd at Austin City Hall -- one of three tea parties he was attending across the state -- that officials in Washington have abandoned the country's founding principles of limited government. He said the federal government is strangling Americans with taxation, spending and debt.

Perry repeated his running theme that Texas' economy is in relatively good shape compared with other states and with the "federal budget mess." Many in the crowd held signs deriding President Barack Obama and the $786 billion federal economic stimulus package.

Perry called his supporters patriots. Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

"There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

He said when Texas entered the union in 1845 it was with the understanding it could pull out. However, according to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Texas negotiated the power to divide into four additional states at some point if it wanted to but not the right to secede.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
They are pretty much seceded in their own minds anyways... Texas is whole different world.

You're just racist against Texans. ;)

And it makes me laugh all the "hate" being shown.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
You're just racist against Texans. ;)

And it makes me laugh all the "hate" being shown.

lol I don't hate Texans, but probably more than half the people I've ever known from Texas love talking s***, and they practically beg for me to talk s*** back cuz that's just how I do.

My boss is from Texas, every now and again I like to blurt out "f*** Texas" just to see what he does.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
lol I don't hate Texans, but probably more than half the people I've ever known from Texas love talking s***, and they practically beg for me to talk s*** back cuz that's just how I do.

My boss is from Texas, every now and again I like to blurt out "f*** Texas" just to see what he does.

Talk "s***". :D

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
Texas should change its nickname from the "Lone Star State" to the "Self-Overrated State."

You see, my problem is I like Chicago too much to talk s*** about it. So here I am, defenseless. :lolhitting

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)

My friends and I almost got into a fight at a bar with a couple people from Texas a couple years back after we jokingly mocked their cowboy hats. We were kidding and having fun, they took it seriously.

OK, just tell them if they do the U.S. doesn't give them an ounce of military help if a Mexican drug cartel or the Mexican government itself decides to attack.

Seriously though, Rolling Stone did a great series of article on the drug violence in Mexico going on right now, its worth checking out.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
OK, just tell them if they do the U.S. doesn't give them an ounce of military help if a Mexican drug cartel or the Mexican government itself decides to attack.

Seriously though, Rolling Stone did a great series of article on the drug violence in Mexico going on right now, its worth checking out.

You want the truth about that? I think Texas is more then capable of taking care of that themselves if given the opportunity. They've been told by the feds to let them handle it.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
You see, my problem is I like Chicago too much to talk s*** about it. So here I am, defenseless. :lolhitting

I'm a complete hypocrite because I talk almost as much regionalist s*** as a Texan does.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)

Based on previous standards, I don't think the issue is the U.S. helping the newly independent Texas Republic against Mexico...I think Texas will be having enough problems with that pesky U.S. army when it follows the logic that President Lincoln used. They may be asking the Mexicans for some help in that defense.