Bulls To Let Ben Gordon Go?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
Ben's nothing but a shooter. He doesn't do much of anything else. I won't be too sad to see him go. Salmons can be just as good of a scorer as him and provides better defense. You just have to pray that Luol Deng comes back to 2006-2007 form and put him at SF.

He does have a nice floater and mid range game, but he does not finish at the rim or create for others. He is not just a shooter to me like some spot up guy in the Craig Hodges/Steve Kerr sense. He creates space and doesen't need much room to get his "j" off.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
He does have a nice floater and mid range game, but he does not finish at the rim or create for others. He is not just a shooter to me like some spot up guy in the Craig Hodges/Steve Kerr sense. He creates space and doesen't need much room to get his "j" off.

He's great at creating for himself and he has a great sense of the game. He cut the BS turnovers, but people do harp when he does make one. He cannot create for others on a consistent basis which is why he isn't a PG. As an offensive player, he's pretty damn good. His ballhandling has increased. I think his passing is the worst aspect of it. He's not a blackhole on offense like people make it seem like he is. About a month ago, I checked his stats, and 34% of his shots were assisted which was tops on the team IIRC.

Salmons is a different story though. I don't know how people can complain about Ben, but not complain about Salmons when it comes to not getting the ball back. It's like night and day. Salmons won't pass you the ball when he doesn't feel like it which is 80% of the time.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
Also, if I were to look to replace either Gordon or Deng, Evan Turner would be the guy I draft if he decides to come out this year, which he probably won't.

I like Turner. His game is very fluid, reminds me of Walt "The Wizard" Williams. But you're right, he is most likely returning to Ohio State for his junior season.

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (Ron @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I like Turner. His game is very fluid, reminds me of Walt "The Wizard" Williams. But you're right, he is most likely returning to Indiana for his junior season.

That would probably be a good comparison. He's from OSU though. Normally, I wouldn't correct anyone, but I know some guys here will get on your back.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
That would probably be a good comparison. He's from OSU though. Normally, I wouldn't correct anyone, but I know some guys here will get on your back.
Duh! I had me a brain fart. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
And now we get the other side of Ben Gordon.

He went 5-13. Not a great shooting night or even an average shooting night from him. To put it in perspective, Kobe went 5-24 last night. The poor FT shooting was unchararestic for the whole team. We were best in the league in FT shooting and we did piss ass poor.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Time for reality to set in for everyone who freaked out after the Game 2 performance.

Time for reality to set in for everyone who freaked out after the Game 1 Performance of Derrick Rose. Gordon wasn't great last game, but Rose has been worthless than last two. And for those who claim he's a rookie, he's always been this way. He'll be upbeat and want to prove something, then feels he has proved it and coasts. It's his personality, not skill that's the problem.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Ben Gordon doesn't even pretend to play defense anymore. Good riddance.

Hell of a shot though. Couple of those were just awesome.

Anyway...yeah, Allen made him look silly down the stretch. Stay on Ray freaking Allen!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
In that case, he decided to stop playing defense when Ray Allen did anything in the 4th.

May or may have not. Keep in mind, the Celtics have ran Allen through a ton of screens from Game 2 on. The Bulls, which is one thing I'd like to see VDN change up a bit, always switch when there is a screener involved, even when it gives the Celtics the matchup they want. That's why alot of Allen's shots have come against Noah(and Noah's played decent defense on him), or Hinrich as well as Allen. How about give the Celtics a bit of credit for some smart decisions.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
May or may have not. Keep in mind, the Celtics have ran Allen through a ton of screens from Game 2 on. The Bulls, which is one thing I'd like to see VDN change up a bit, always switch when there is a screener involved, even when it gives the Celtics the matchup they want. That's why alot of Allen's shots have come against Noah(and Noah's played decent defense on him), or Hinrich as well as Allen. How about give the Celtics a bit of credit for some smart decisions.

So basically you're saying I should blame the fact that Gordon keeps being totally screened out of position on Allen, thus creating repeated open shots for Allen at the end of the game, on the fact that the Bulls for some strange reason are totally unable to adapt to anything another team is doing no matter how many times in a row the opposing team does it, almost as if they are being totally outcoached.

I can go with that explanation.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
Ben Gordon doesn't even pretend to play defense anymore. Good riddance.

0 defense. He is not a starting SG on a team that wants to be in contention. What team has a selfish starting 5'11" SG with no ball handling skills, no defensive skills and remains in title contention? Nobody.

Thanks Ben for the 3 pointer today, but you have also missed just about every other buzzer/clutch shot in your career. Please Paxson, don't handcuff us with another horrific contract like you did with Deng

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
So basically you're saying I should blame the fact that Gordon keeps being totally screened out of position on Allen, thus creating repeated open shots for Allen at the end of the game, on the fact that the Bulls for some strange reason are totally unable to adapt to anything another team is doing no matter how many times in a row the opposing team does it, almost as if they are being totally outcoached.

I can go with that explanation.

With the screening, yes. Also, just to note, Ben was not in either possession when Ray tied the game and neither was he in when Allen hit the game winner in Game 2. Game 3, Ray Allen started poor and obtained most of his points in garbage moments.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
0 defense. He is not a starting SG on a team that wants to be in contention. What team has a selfish starting 5'11" SG with no ball handling skills, no defensive skills and remains in title contention? Nobody.

Thanks Ben for the 3 pointer today, but you have also missed just about every other buzzer/clutch shot in your career. Please Paxson, don't handcuff us with another horrific contract like you did with Deng

Yeah, no. Again, look at the stats. The SG position has the lowest PER Against on the team by a wide margin. Also the PER Differential is by far best on this squad. Gordon is not only played pretty good defense throughout the season, he also is consistently outperforming the guy he is defending. Now, there are nights where other guys have burned him. With that said, the only guy who has consistently lit him up has been Kobe Bryant.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
Nite, open your f***ing eyes dude.

I suggest you take some of your own advice. Let me f*** you up with some truth first.

PER: 17.6

PER AGAINST: 15.0(average right on the dot)

That's a plus 2.6 which is 2.0 better than the next guy which is at the SF position. At that position

PER: 15.6

PER Against: 15.0

So while the defense Salmons has brought us there has been great, he really hasn't produced a great amount like some people tend to believe.

Rose is right behind Gordon in terms of efficiency on the offensive end

PER: 17.4

But sucks defensively:

PER Against: 17.0

http://www.82games.com/0809/0809CHI5.HTM

So not only do I see it, the coaches have applauded his improvement in defense, and the statisticians see it as well. Only people who don't are those from Soxtalk for some reason.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
With the screening, yes. Also, just to note, Ben was not in either possession when Ray tied the game and neither was he in when Allen hit the game winner in Game 2. Game 3, Ray Allen started poor and obtained most of his points in garbage moments.

Yeah, no. Again, look at the stats. The SG position has the lowest PER Against on the team by a wide margin. Also the PER Differential is by far best on this squad. Gordon is not only played pretty good defense throughout the season, he also is consistently outperforming the guy he is defending. Now, there are nights where other guys have burned him. With that said, the only guy who has consistently lit him up has been Kobe Bryant.

I suggest you take some of your own advice. Let me f*** you up with some truth first.

That's a plus 2.6 which is 2.0 better than the next guy which is at the SF position. At that position

So while the defense Salmons has brought us there has been great, he really hasn't produced a great amount like some people tend to believe.

But sucks defensively:

So not only do I see it, the coaches have applauded his improvement in defense, and the statisticians see it as well. Only people who don't are those from Soxtalk for some reason.

Let it go, man. The Ben Gordon hate around here is borderline deplorable. You've got Derrick Rose getting butt-f***ed by Rajon Rondo this series and it always seems to come back to what Ben Gordon can't do. I know what Ben Gordon can do...And that's score the motherf***in' rock. Dude comes up clutch Jordan style not once, but twice! And he's hit big shots like that his entire career.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)

But sucks defensively:

How often is Kirk guarding the other teams SG? Salmons? When, in the history of BG, have you seen him guard the other teams go-to G? Never, ever ever ever ever. And he never will, which affects the rest of the team who have to pick up the slack.

But despite that, there is no stat for dumb in the NBA (that I know of). I've watched way too many BG "shake n bake" moves fail, too many triple teamed air balls fired up, and too many selfish shots taken to justify resigning him.

Don't turn this into another 2006 Deng fiasco: hype the s*** out of an average player to the point that we give him a ridiculous contract and are held hostage by him for the next 5 years. We need to focus on building around the ridiculous 20 year old point guard we have and not forcing this "core" that has supposed to have been "coming together" for 4 years now. Its not working. Without BG next year, we still have a solid, competitive lineup with Salmons and Deng. Then when summer 2010 rolls around, we will have almost $30 million dollars to spend on the likes of LBJ, Wade, Amare, etc.....signing BG destroys that hope.

And if you think we have no shot at that FA class, what team would be in better position than us? "Hey _______(Insert MVP caliber FA here), would you rather play on a team with Rose, Deng, Thomas, Noah or Eddie Curry?" If we have $30 million to spend and that group of guys, add LBJ or Wade and we are instant championship favorites. What other team in that summer has that to offer?

I don't give a flying f*** about defensive efficiency ratings. I can see how bad he is on defense with my eyes. And I don't understand why it has to go back to Rose all the time? Everyone understand pretty well that he's a horrible defensive player. But he's also a 20 year old rookie PG. Gordon has cornered the market on the ole/turn stile defense, can't work around a screen for the life of him, and probably allows more cuts to the hoop than any other player in the NBA.

No one is denying that he has improved defensively. But he's gone from a horrific defender to a bad-to-average defender. If you're legitimately saying that Ben Gordon is a better defender than John Salmons (when 100% healthy), then you need bifocals.

J4L, no one is denying that Gordon can score. It'd be nice if he could do it more consistently though. And number's don't back up any argument of that, because he has horrible nights and great nights, that's why they're called average. I'd have NO issues re-signing him if he was more consistent offensively and better defensively. With that said, if he wants to come back at a reasonable amount, abso-f***ing-lutely do it. If he wants a ton of money, peace the f*** out.

And Jenksy Cat, a good number of teams will have a ton of money in 2010. The Pistons should be one of them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/200...tory?id=4104307

Bulls' Gordon awaits MRI on hamstring

Bulls guard Ben Gordon was scheduled to undergo an MRI on Monday after straining a hamstring in the first half of Sunday's double-overtime victory over the Boston Celtics in Chicago.

Gordon, who knocked down a 3-pointer to tie it with 4.5 seconds left in the first overtime, tweaked his left hamstring on a drive to the basket in the second quarter of the 121-118 victory.

"I was driving and I heard something pop," said Gordon, who incurred the injury while shooting in the second quarter. "It's sore; hopefully it's not too serious. I'm going to do what I need to do."

Gordon also was knocked to the floor, on his back, on a hard foul by Glen Davis with 9.8 seconds left in the first OT.

The Celtics led by five points in the first overtime and were still up 110-107 after Ray Allen hit two free throws with 9 seconds left. They were then supposed to foul, but instead, Gordon buried another dramatic 3.