Bulls To Let Ben Gordon Go?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 2, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
thank god we have gordon, i don't know where we'd be without him the last 2 games. I say 5 years 70 million this offseason, lets do it. BG = championship

Really? equals championship? So why does he have 0 rings? The Bulls have offered him nice contracts the last 2 summers, he wants superstar money. He's not a superstar.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
Really? equals championship? So why does he have 0 rings? The Bulls have offered him nice contracts the last 2 summers, he wants superstar money. He's not a superstar.

He wanted more money than Deng because he thought he was more of a contributor and at the time thought he was the best player on the team. If you think about it, at both times, he had a good ass case. He also accepted last year's deal towards the end, but Paxson pulled the offer. Both are at equal blame for Ben being a free agent now.

Superstar money is around 90 million. He doesn't demand that. He would probably accept somewhere around 10 million a year, but that's just pure guessing right now.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
This draft isn't deep at any position. It's the worst draft class this decade according to many scouts.

Idk about that.

Plenty of solid guards, Maynor, Meeks, Curry, Mills, Rubio, Harden, Flynn, Lawson, Terrence W. Left some off because I don't think they will amount to much, Teague, Jennings etc....

I'd love to get Terrence Williams or Maynor but we really don't need either.

Were probably best off trading the pick and throwing our money towards a Boozer or J ONeal.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
He wanted more money than Deng because he thought he was more of a contributor and at the time thought he was the best player on the team. If you think about it, at both times, he had a good ass case. He also accepted last year's deal towards the end, but Paxson pulled the offer. Both are at equal blame for Ben being a free agent now.

Superstar money is around 90 million. He doesn't demand that. He would probably accept somewhere around 10 million a year, but that's just pure guessing right now.

Hes not even worth 10 million a year, thats the thing. All he can do is shoot and dribble. Thats it.

I suppose 8 million is reasonable but I really don't want to bring him back and thats not only because of yesterdays piss poor performance from him. But 8 million to a 6th man seems wasteful.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)

Regardless, he's not worth it. At best he's just a REALLY good 6th man. Again, i'll take him if the Bulls can work out a nice deal with him, but i'm not crying if he's gone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Ben is going to go to where ever offers him the most money. In a year when the cap is expected to contract, and everyone is saving for next years class, there might not be any other offers, other than a one year deal from the Bulls.

There are a handful of teams that actually do have the cap space to make some moves this offseason. Detroit and OKC currently have over $10 million that they likely will spend, Memphis could offer a Max deal but they're highly unlikely to do so with anyone, Atlanta could have some cap space but they're going to lose a lot if they hold either Bibby or Marvin Williams, Minnesota has about $7 million, Portland can go $3-$4 million or so, and Toronto has about $7 million but again I think they're not likely to use it.

OKC I could see legitimately offering Gordon a good chunk, although that'd be interesting after trading for another SG that they'd like to develop in that Sefalosha kid. Detroit isn't going after Gordon. Atlanta has a fairly good scoring guard in Joe Johnson. Toronto and Minnesota could legitimately make a run at Gordon, but they can't offer him much more than the MLE without moving players. After that, a lot of teams can maybe offer the MLE. And let's not forget, there are still some decent names on the FA market other than Gordon. Iverson, Marion, Boozer, Turkoglu, possibly Marvin Williams, Artest, Odom, Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Andre Miller, Chris Wilcox, Mike Bibby...it's a crowded veteran market already, and not many teams have more to offer than the MLE.

Gordon is almost sure to have to go a sign and trade route if he thinks he's going to get more than the MLE...unless something crazy happens like how the Clippers found their space last year by letting Brand walk.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)

There was so much sarcasm in my post that I didn't think it needed to be green :)

BG needs to go, thank god he didn't sign the Deng contract we offered. Helped us out and screwed himself since he won't see that money ever again.

The BG we saw in game 6 & 7 is the real BG. He'll explode every once and while, but for the most part is a selfish player who isn't good enough to warrant it. I was waiting for him to just start shooting from half court last night.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
Idk about that.

Plenty of solid guards, Maynor, Meeks, Curry, Mills, Rubio, Harden, Flynn, Lawson, Terrence W. Left some off because I don't think they will amount to much, Teague, Jennings etc....

I'd love to get Terrence Williams or Maynor but we really don't need either.

Were probably best off trading the pick and throwing our money towards a Boozer or J ONeal.

Boozer would assure us of getting no one in 2010. J O'Neal is pretty trash and we'd have to pay the tax. JR is not going to do that.

Maynor is Ben Gordon lite. He's not as good, but they are the same player. Curry is the same thing. Mills is trash. Rubio won't be there when we pick and the knock on him is that he can't shoot and he's pretty damn slow. Harden is better defensively coming out college than Gordon, but doesn't have much range on his jumper and is undersized. Flynn will be an undersized SG or at best, a 8th man combo guard off the bench. Lawson could be a starter on the right team, but he's a PG all the way. Terrance Williams is a prototypical SF. Teague is actually probably better than most of the guys you listed.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
Hes not even worth 10 million a year, thats the thing. All he can do is shoot and dribble. Thats it.

I suppose 8 million is reasonable but I really don't want to bring him back and thats not only because of yesterdays piss poor performance from him. But 8 million to a 6th man seems wasteful.

10 million a year sounds right. If you think about it, the Bulls offered him one million less on the overall contract last year. They offered 6 years 59 million according to Comcast Sportsnet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
There are a handful of teams that actually do have the cap space to make some moves this offseason. Detroit and OKC currently have over $10 million that they likely will spend, Memphis could offer a Max deal but they're highly unlikely to do so with anyone, Atlanta could have some cap space but they're going to lose a lot if they hold either Bibby or Marvin Williams, Minnesota has about $7 million, Portland can go $3-$4 million or so, and Toronto has about $7 million but again I think they're not likely to use it.

OKC I could see legitimately offering Gordon a good chunk, although that'd be interesting after trading for another SG that they'd like to develop in that Sefalosha kid. Detroit isn't going after Gordon. Atlanta has a fairly good scoring guard in Joe Johnson. Toronto and Minnesota could legitimately make a run at Gordon, but they can't offer him much more than the MLE without moving players. After that, a lot of teams can maybe offer the MLE. And let's not forget, there are still some decent names on the FA market other than Gordon. Iverson, Marion, Boozer, Turkoglu, possibly Marvin Williams, Artest, Odom, Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Andre Miller, Chris Wilcox, Mike Bibby...it's a crowded veteran market already, and not many teams have more to offer than the MLE.

Gordon is almost sure to have to go a sign and trade route if he thinks he's going to get more than the MLE...unless something crazy happens like how the Clippers found their space last year by letting Brand walk.

I think Detroit is a threat as they really don't seem to care about 2010 because they expect most of the FA's to resign with their current squad. I see Atlanta as a darkhorse as they won't resign Bibby and Johnson is a big guard who can handle most of the PG duties. The offense runs through him as his coach and their fans stated.

And for the Bulls, they are picking 16th and 26. I honestly wouldn't even look to move up in the draft because after Rubio and Blake, there's absolutely nothing there. They're better off trading it for next year's picks.

I would love for the Bulls to get Tyreke Evans. For a guy who can fall to the middle of the first round of a weak draft, he doesn't have a ton of holes in his offensive game. A combo guard with size would be just what the doctor ordered. Granted him and Rose on the defensive side at the same time would not be pretty.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 3, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
I would love for the Bulls to get Tyreke Evans. For a guy who can fall to the middle of the first round of a weak draft, he doesn't have a ton of holes in his offensive game. A combo guard with size would be just what the doctor ordered. Granted him and Rose on the defensive side at the same time would not be pretty.

I'd take Maynor over Tyreke. There's a reason why Tyreke had to switch to PG in the season. It's because he needs the ball in his hands at all times. He does not know how to share the ball aka play off the ball at all which is sad since he is 6'6. People state that Ben is a chucker, well this guy's a chucker and he's nowhere as good as a shooter as Ben or even John Salmons for the hell of it. He's also pretty damn lazy defensively. No thanks. His negatives outweigh his positives big time.

This is the worst draft I have ever seen, and I've been paying attention to the NBA Draft for quite a while now. I'd like to see Terrence Williams drafted though. He's a good fit in that he actually defends (the Bulls can use that) and he can legitimately play the 1 through 3 on both ends of the floor, which is a good fit since VDN loves to play those stupid ass small lineups so often.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 4, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
This is the worst draft I have ever seen, and I've been paying attention to the NBA Draft for quite a while now. I'd like to see Terrence Williams drafted though. He's a good fit in that he actually defends (the Bulls can use that) and he can legitimately play the 1 through 3 on both ends of the floor, which is a good fit since VDN loves to play those stupid ass small lineups so often.

The 2000 NBA Draft was much worse, IMHO.

Good to have someone else on the T-Will bandwagon.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 4, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)

I like Williams as an energy guy off the bench. His defense creates a lot of points and he's an energy player, but he also has talent. Actually, now that I think of it, he's one of the few guys that I think could start in this league and legitimately not suck unlike most players in this draft. Only guys who I think are starter material are Blake, Demar, Terrance and Lawson. I honestly think Rubio is going to be a bust. I think DeMar can be one too. Terrance though would be a nice safe pick and a pleasant surprise in one.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 4, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
Marcus Fizer, lol... oh my god. It's hard to fault Krause for whiffing on that class when you look at the rest of the players.

There's a fair share of decent NBA guys there.

Not as awful as 1986 though.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 4, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
I like Williams as an energy guy off the bench. His defense creates a lot of points and he's an energy player, but he also has talent. Actually, now that I think of it, he's one of the few guys that I think could start in this league and legitimately not suck unlike most players in this draft. Only guys who I think are starter material are Blake, Demar, Terrance and Lawson. I honestly think Rubio is going to be a bust. I think DeMar can be one too. Terrance though would be a nice safe pick and a pleasant surprise in one.

Love Terrence Williams, I agree he should be a legit starter or starter material. I don't think Demar will be good, curry should be 6 man material off the bench and I like Meeks as a possible starter too but he may need a year in the league or another year at Kentucky.

But if we don't resign Ben Williams would be an ample replacement. Especially if we don't resign Ben then he would be a great replacement.

Gives you two lengthy guards in Salmons and Williams and two points in Kirk and Rose.

I'm not feeling Demar DeRozan. He relies solely on his athleticism to get dunks and close jumpers. No range to speak of (64% from the free throw line, 19% from 3) Matador defense. He coasts at times, shows very little effort. He's more athlete than ballplayer at this point.

I think there are some good players in this draft. Blake Griffin, Ricky Rubio, Jordan Hill, Jonny Flynn, Earl Clark, Terrence Williams, Jrue Holiday. I think they could all be very good pros.

Tyreke Evans & Hasheem Thabeet both need to go into the right situation, but I believe both have real upside.

Patrick Patterson, Stephen Curry, Wayne Ellington, Danny Green, DeJuan Blair, Chase Budinger will be role players.

DeRozan, Austin Daye, BJ Mullens, Gani Lawal are works in progress.

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 5, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Not a lot of Tyreke Evans love.

Because from what Ive seen that guy can play.

I don't think people question that he has some ability. He has great size, pretty good quickness and can handle the ball well enough to get to the basket. He can be a shutdown defender if he wants to be and can obviously be a dangerous slasher.

He has significant flaws though: he's a sub par shooter, has shown that he struggles a lot more off the ball, and he's shown that he can be a ballhog that makes poor decisions with his shot selection. Unless he changes his attitude and playing style or greatly improves his jumper there seems to be a pretty good chance he falls into that Ricky Davis/Corey Maggette zone of guys that put up great numbers on bad teams but do more harm than good on decent ones.