NO to Bonds, not now to Pedro

southsider2k5

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/05..._right_now.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Asked last week if Barry Bonds would be a Plan B for Jim Thome if the White Sox slugger's heel injury turned into something worse, general manager e-mailed a one-word reply - a resounding "No.''

Manager Ozzie Guillen wasn't as adamant when Pedro Martinez's name came up for a possible Plan B if Jose Contreras continued to struggle, but the answer was still the same.

"Pedro Martinez was mentioned in spring training, but just because a couple of his friends called me, and my job is to give Kenny the information,'' Guillen said on Tuesday. "But that's it, no, Pedro, no, not right now. I don't know if we're going to because that's Kenny's decision, but right now that's not on my mind.''

With Contreras making a huge start on Thursday - possibly his last start before a demotion to the bullpen - the team actually doesn't have a Plan B. At least one that excites them.

Guillen discussed a few more possible scenarios, and again didn't seem thrilled with either one.

"Plan B would be Jose,'' Guillen said. "I think Richard threw the ball better [Monday], but he hasn't impressed me enough to be the guy. Something maybe in the future, yes, but right now we're still fighting for the pennant race. Right now, I don't have the right answer. Right now, a couple people have dropped a couple of names, but I don't think those names fit the best. If we have to make a move I will do it, if it will help the ballclub I will do it. Will it be Richard? I don't know yet.''

Fresh off a five-inning, rain-shortened no hitter for Class AA Birmingham, top prospect Aaron Poreda also wasn't a real consideration.

"I think Poreda, he's not ready,'' Guillen said. "I don't think this kid right now is ready to be in the big leagues. I don't think we're doing a favor for him or the ballclub to bring him up. We have to take it easy with that guy. That's our future.''

So if his threats last night were directed at Gavin Floyd, which they very well could be, how can they not be considered idle if this is how he feels about a replacement of another rotation member? The cupboard is bare, at least for immediate help. Its pretty obvious by who they have been calling up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:17 AM)
Cupboard? I think you have have the Chicago Cubs on the brain, or Mike Cubbage, lol.

Maybe the Cubs having a winning streak (until Lincecum) while we've been sucking hasn't helped so much!

I'm an exsellant spellar.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 6, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
Lwet's sign that there Pedro Martinez. Contreras can pitch long relief and Broadway can go down or Richard maybe

The Count needs 45 minutes to warm up. I don't envision him being a bullpen guy.