Amazon Kindle DX

HuskyCaucasian

Via MacRumors-

Engadget has just wrapped up live coverage of Amazon's press event introducing the Kindle DX, the next generation of Amazon's eBook reader. The Kindle DX, now available for pre-order at a price of $489 for shipment this summer, contains a 9.7" screen and is being positioned as a device for reading documents such as newspapers, textbooks, and research journal articles whose formats have not worked ideally with the smaller 6" screen of the current Kindle 2 model.

The Kindle DX features a built-in accelerometer that allows for auto-rotation of content between portrait and landscape orientations, and increased storage over the Kindle 2 of 3.3 GB, which provides space for up to 3,500 books periodicals, and documents. Like the Kindle 2, which will remain available at its current price of $359, the Kindle DX offers free 3G access through Sprint's network to allow downloading of content on the go. Native PDF support is also included.

The Boston Globe, The New York Times and The Washington Post are all planning to offer long-term subscriptions for Kindle newspaper editions at discounted prices.

Are we finally seeing the future of the newspaper business?

I am torn on the kindle--on the one hand I could save a ton of money buying books that way. On the other hand I love the feel of a book in my hands.

Fortunately I am too broke to afford a kindle--so it's a moot point.

QUOTE (Soxy @ May 6, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
I am torn on the kindle--on the one hand I could save a ton of money buying books that way. On the other hand I love the feel of a book in my hands.

Fortunately I am too broke to afford a kindle--so it's a moot point.

I started to get angry with Josh Marshall at TPM when he was speaking to how he was a kindle convert. I couldn't imagine not having a physical book in my hands, the collection of them and giving and borrowing so ingrained in physical books.

However, I recently got an ipod touch, and have found myself reading sooo much more news because of its accessibility. NY Times app is incredibly clean and the small size is so much more convenient. (The tribs, on the other hand, is a piece of trash. No paragraphs, really?)

The nice thing about the kindle is its ad revenue possibilities. I believe I read that people read the kindle more like a newspaper in terms of where their eyes wander. In addition, NY times and others have been much more effective in helping advertisers create less noisy ads.

Overall, I'd love a kindle.

One neat thing about these digital books (it doesn't have to be a kindle, my buddy has a Sony one) is that there is no backlight. It's almost like an etch-a-sketch or whatever in the form of words.

This does quite a few things... it's not like looking at a computer monitor, it looks like a page of a book... muted, not glowing. It also allows the battery to last forever, because it is only used each time you turn a page. The screen memorizes what is produced and holds it there without battery life.

I go to the library so much that I doubt I get one soon, but if I start traveling for work soon and can have tons of books on my device... it will become a must-purchase.

I want to jump into this space so bad, the only hold up is the ability to convert pdf's into e reader format. Yes it does it, but its awkward and slow, and doesnt do a good job at converting. MY CIO has joked numerous times about how I should get one just to save a forest or two from my printing. If the new Adobe technology solves this, then this is a no brainer. The price however is a bit much for a single purpose device like this. You can get laptops for cheaper.

Edited by southsideirish71