"We're just not good right now"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
Good post. There almost better off just letting Dye, Thome and Contreras walk at the end of the year and just use the type a or b compensation when they leave via free agency.

The problem is you'd have to offer those guys arbitration and given the economy they might accept. That is why I think you'll see very few players kept this deadline where as in the past you would keep the player if you didn't get a fair offer cause you'd figure you'd get compensation.

Case in point, you offer Dye arbitration and he's going to get 12-13M guaranteed and if he went out on the open market I don't know if he gets a deal that gives him that much. I think he might get a 2-3 year deal at 8 million per if he was really really lucky but wouldn't be shocked to see him get only something like a 3yr 18M deal.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
Good post. There almost better off just letting Dye, Thome and Contreras walk at the end of the year and just use the type a or b compensation when they leave via free agency.

That would require offering those 3 players arbitration, something that will not be happening. (Dye is the only one that's even remotely possible)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
That would require offering those 3 players arbitration, something that will not be happening. (Dye is the only one that's even remotely possible)

Even in that case I think the Sox would be better off to negotiate a deal with him and by all means I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Dye back on a 2yr 12-14M deal with incentives as our DH (key word being as our DH). He could ocassionally play in the field but primarily would be the DH.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Even in that case I think the Sox would be better off to negotiate a deal with him and by all means I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Dye back on a 2yr 12-14M deal with incentives as our DH (key word being as our DH). He could ocassionally play in the field but primarily would be the DH.

I'd like to see Dye sticking around for a few more seasons as DH. I'm starting to like the transition that is being set up here. Obviously Fields is a (current and perhaps temporary) disappointment, and there are, and always will be, questions on the back of the rotation, but overall a rebuilding may be at hand without enduring a 90 loss season.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
I'd like to see Dye sticking around for a few more seasons as DH. I'm starting to like the transition that is being set up here. Obviously Fields is a (current and perhaps temporary) disappointment, and there are, and always will be, questions on the back of the rotation, but overall a rebuilding may be at hand without enduring a 90 loss season.

I could see a buyout and a contract restructure. Like 3 years for 16 million. Dye as a DH is a great idea. It would replace Thome and KW could offer a deal to Bay or Crawford this offseason.