The Great Brian Anderson Debacle

Steve9347

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will copy my previous post:

This is the final test, if he has the flu and goes back to 95% starting in a few days, then fine. If he platoons with Wise for the rest of the season or is still the 4th OF when Pods eventually falls back down to earth, its over for him. Its the one thing I can't stand about Ozzie: far too loyal while also far too unforgiving for stupid s***.

I just can't understand the logic. How can you expect a guy who isn't a great hitter to begin with, to get his swing right when he plays

Edited by Jenksy Cat

For all of you who laughed when we said Wise would be starting/playing over BA.. HA!

Ozzie is an idiot, and I want him fired after the season. The Ozzie Guillen experiment should be over.

I've been saying this for a long time. I thank Ozzie for the past, but Ozzie has PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN that he as an in-game manager he has almsot no clue, and this is just the last straw for me. I really can't believe there are people that still defend him because they can't let 2005 go. They have no trouble saying "get rid of this player, it's not 2005 anymore," yet for Ozzie it's different.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say even when he wasn't hitting s***, BA should have been in there, not Wise. There is NO REASON to trot DW's ass out there when we have a GG caliber CF out there and he is actually hitting, too... NO f***ING REASON.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
Frankly, after watching how Anderson was handled in 2006, I don't believe that at all. I'd love to be proven wrong one of these years.

you mean how he was handed the starting job in spring and by June still couldn't hit his weight?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
you mean how he was handed the starting job in spring and by June still couldn't hit his weight?

Thank you.

I also hate the way BA is being handled NOW, and I'm up for giving him one more shot of sustained, mostly every day AB's. However, I'm completely f***ing SICK of hearing how BA was "mishandled" in '06. He was given a very lengthy and legit shot, and completely blew chunks. We were able to deal with it while the rest of the team hit like the '27 Yankees, but that was unsustainable.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
I've been saying this for a long time. I thank Ozzie for the past, but Ozzie has PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN that he as an in-game manager he has almsot no clue, and this is just the last straw for me. I really can't believe there are people that still defend him because they can't let 2005 go. They have no trouble saying "get rid of this player, it's not 2005 anymore," yet for Ozzie it's different.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say even when he wasn't hitting s***, BA should have been in there, not Wise. There is NO REASON to trot DW's ass out there when we have a GG caliber CF out there and he is actually hitting, too... NO f***ING REASON.

talk about some high standards. 2005 WS CHAMPS, 2006 90-72, 2007 crap, 2008 divison champs. To me, that's pretty good. Don't let the man-love for BA skew your thinking.

Also, Anderson is not a gold glove caliber CF'er. He's very good, above average CF'er. It's not like he's in the class of Griffey,Jones(in their day), Beltran, or Hunter and can win games on the defensive side of things.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)

Wasn't D Wise handed this job... It came down to Jerry Owens and D Wise in Spring Training... KW said himself Owens would have started if he could hit something besides air, but he couldn't. All they wanted was a leadoff hitter, and Wise and Owens were the noly one's who could do it in there eyes. Again, KW said Wise got the job b/c it came down to who fit the mold for a leadoff hitter. Yet now we have a leadoff hitter, and Wise is still out there. There is no excuse for BA sitting if we go by that logic. If he had the flu, I've got no problem with putting Wise out there. I have no problem with Wise being on the roster while Quentin is gone, b/c he can be a decent utility guy in the meantime.

With that said, he is not an everday player. The guy is a career minor leaguer. Many organizations have had a chance to look at him, and all have concluded he's not good enough to be on a big league roster. I don't think anything is going to change.

Thank you.

I also hate the way BA is being handled NOW, and I'm up for giving him one more shot of sustained, mostly every day AB's. However, I'm completely f***ing SICK of hearing how BA was "mishandled" in '06. He was given a very lengthy and legit shot, and completely blew chunks. We were able to deal with it while the rest of the team hit like the '27 Yankees, but that was unsustainable.

He only blew chunks offensively. I wasn't here prior to 05 so I suspect people were this pissed off about how long it took Joe Crede to become what he was in 05-07.

That said, I don't have much of an opinion or concern about 06.

i can't stand you people who take this holier-than-thou attitude in threads like this. criticizing US for criticizing the team/player/management decision or what have you. we are allowed to not be all buttercups and roses all the time. we're allowed to be unhappy with bonehead decisions by our manager, and the playing of Dewayne Wise over Brian Anderson is one of these. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion, dont say anything. Brian Anderson is a better baseball player than Dewayne Wise, and thus, should be the one on the field. It's as simple as that.

talk about some high standards. 2005 WS CHAMPS, 2006 90-72, 2007 crap, 2008 divison champs. To me, that's pretty good. Don't let the man-love for BA skew your thinking.

Also, Anderson is not a gold glove caliber CF'er. He's very good, above average CF'er. It's not like he's in the class of Griffey,Jones(in their day), Beltran, or Hunter and can win games on the defensive side of things.

Don't let the fact that the division sucked in 08 HORRIBLY skew your thinking.

Seriously, the only defensive cases I hear for Ozzie are not only irrelevant but frankly pathetic.

I mean, do people like you even pay ATTENTION to the games? Ozzie is such an atrocious in-game manager it's ridiculous. Same goes for BA's defense. BA indeed plays GG D.

Nice job not even addressing the topic at hand, BTW.

Edited by TheBigHurt

i can't stand you people who take this holier-than-thou attitude in threads like this. criticizing US for criticizing the team/player/management decision or what have you. we are allowed to not be all buttercups and roses all the time. we're allowed to be unhappy with bonehead decisions by our manager, and the playing of Dewayne Wise over Brian Anderson is one of these. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion, dont say anything. Brian Anderson is a better baseball player than Dewayne Wise, and thus, should be the one on the field. It's as simple as that.

Amen.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Thank you.

And in the first half, the Sox dominated the AL with BA not hitting. Also in 2006 during July and August, BA hit .300. That's something that has long been forgotten. That meant Darin Erstad had to lead off in 2007. There is no question BA wasn't quite ready in 2006, but there is equally no question BA has had a much shorter leash than anyone else since. Brent Lillibridge led off after Ozzie started popping off about him playing in Korea.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
Because Ozzie Guillen doesn't know how to manage a lineup.

Ozzie is not a good game day manager. His mismanagment of the post Rowand CF situation is now approaching legendary status.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
I love Anderson as much as the next guy, but Guillen has a never ending vendetta against him

Guillen is trying to get Wise a lot of playing time now for these two weeks b/c if Wise gets hot, when Quentin comes up, he finally has an excuse to get Anderson off this roster. Guillen is sitting there and praying Wise has the 2 weeks of his life so nobody can say anything when he keeps Wise instead of BA. Unfortunately, Wise just isn't good enough to do it.

This post took some hits but I have to say I agree. I don't pretend to know why Ozzie feels this way.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
I'm not so sure about that.

Ozzie sees Javy sucks when it counts, so Javy is off the team.

Ozzie hates Swisher's attitude, so he's gone.

Ozzie see Boone Logan, Mike MacDougal, etc. all sucking ass so they are gone.

Ozzie sees Jerry Owens and DeWayne Wise sucking so he gives them more playing time.

Something doesn't quite fit.

You know it doesn't fit. Could it be his dislike of BA is so strong that he is giving marginal players like Owens and Wise every chance and then some?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
I don't even care about that. Give him away for absolutely nothing. The kid deserves a chance to play and if Ozzie won't start him in the sorriest CF situation in all of baseball then Ozzie & Kenny need to f*** off already and give him a chance elsewhere.

If the Sox have believed since 2006 that Rob Mackowiak, Darin Erstad, DeWayne Wise, Jerry Owens, and Scott Podsednik were all better CF options than BA then get BA out of here and run out grinder du jour for the next two seasons for all I care since they're just going to do it anyway.

I don't know if BA can cut it in the long term, but the way he's been handled with the Sox almost guarantees his failure. He's never going to be even a good hitter, but if he can hit .260 or so with a little pop in the bat his D is worth it. Jim Landis made a career of it and BA can too. I know it's ancient history, but Landis was given a long term chance and BA needs one too. He's apparently not going to get it here.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)

Seriously, the only defensive cases I hear for Ozzie are not only irrelevant but frankly pathetic.

I mean, do people like you even pay ATTENTION to the games? Ozzie is such an atrocious in-game manager it's ridiculous.

Nice job not even addressing the topic at hand, BTW.

i addressed it earlier in the thread. You're the one who went off about Ozzie. I don't see such an atrocious in game manager has such a good record the last 4 years. Do people like you even pay ATTENTION to the end results? To me,that's what matters, not whether i think he should have hit and run in the 3rd inning of game 96. The facts are his end results are very good.

i addressed it earlier in the thread. You're the one who went off about Ozzie. I don't see such an atrocious in game manager has such a good record the last 4 years. Do people like you even pay ATTENTION to the end results? To me,that's what matters, not whether i think he should have hit and run in the 3rd inning of game 96. The facts are his end results are very good.

Yeah, let's credit every success of the team to Ozzie. The Sox barely and miraculously won a s*** division in 08, so Ozzie must be good, right? LOL! Let's ignore the SIMPLE FACT that Ozzie terribly mismanages this team and keeps holding back BA to trot crap out there every day.

Seriously, if I had a dollar for every frankly STUPID thing I saw Ozzie do I'd be rich and I'm not kidding. As someone else said earlier in the thread, it sounds stupid but even I could manage a game better, and that's saying something.

Keep living in denial and ignoring valid points while failing to make any of your own, though. It's just more amusing.

Seriously, you, like all Ozzie defenders, have NOTHING to back up your senseless defense of a terrible manager.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)

Seriously, the only defensive cases I hear for _________ are not only irrelevant but frankly pathetic.

I mean, do people like you even pay ATTENTION to the games? ________ is such an atrocious in-game manager it's ridiculous.

Fill-in the blank with name of manager of your choice and you have your typical manager slam post found on practically every baseball board on the Internet. Yawn.

Reality check... the team has won 90 or more games in 3 of the last 4 years.

In the bottom line, it's about winning games. And Ozzie's teams consistently outperform their Pythagorean projections.

So, if it makes you feel better to rag on him, knock yourself out, but don't expect to influence alot of people to your point of view.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Fill-in the blank with name of manager of your choice and you have your typical manager slam post found on practically every baseball board on the Internet. Yawn.

In the bottom line, it's about winning games. And Ozzie's teams consistently outperform their Pythagorean projections.

So, if it makes you feel better to rag on him, knock yourself out, but don't expect to influence alot of people to your point of view.

Hey, thats because everyone else sucks.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
I'm not so sure about that.

Ozzie sees Javy sucks when it counts, so Javy is off the team.

Ozzie hates Swisher's attitude, so he's gone.

Ozzie see Boone Logan, Mike MacDougal, etc. all sucking ass so they are gone.

Ozzie sees Jerry Owens and DeWayne Wise sucking so he gives them more playing time.

Something doesn't quite fit.

I can't figure out why Ozzie is playing Wise over Anderson but I agree that the conspiracy theory doesn't make any sense. Ozzie's doghouse is cleaned out every off-season - even if the Sox are on the losing end of a trade or letting someone walk. Ozzie absolutely hated Cabrera but Cabrera played every day because it gave the Sox the best chance to win.

Here's a thoguht. Ozzie made a promise to Wise that he would get a fair opportunity. Wise was starting to hit right before hje seperated his shoulder. Maybe Ozzie just want to make good on his word and give him every opportunity to succeed/fail. He knows the endpoint is when Quentin returns. I'm guessing this is Wise's last hurrah.

STILL waiting for someone to say something with a valid point.

Using other managers in comparison is NOT a valid argument. Seriously, have any of you even finished puberty? I used to think of this as a more intelligent fan site, but the more time that goes by it's amazing how braindead some people can be.

"I can't make a valid argument, so I think I'll argue around the argument and use cop-outs!"

LOL nice.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)

If you count playoff victories. They didn't win 90 last year.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)

Thank you

And I'm not even one of the negative nancies.

Here's a thoguht. Ozzie made a promise to Wise that he would get a fair opportunity.

So why would he make that promise to one of the worst players in our organization and not to the guy/guys who actually deserves it? This makes ZERO sense.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Speaking of which, I saw the box, looks like Whisler put in a good inning. Anyone actually get to watch him? How did he look?

Since everyone else was too busy on Brian and Dewayne to field a good question, I'll take it.

He looked a little shaky for the first couple of batters, and had trouble finding the zone, but I will chalk that up to nerves. He did get better as the inning went on. Solid, but not spectacular.