Cameron antsy to stick it to old team

watchtower41

[Cameron] won't exactly be feeling nostalgic. He's still miffed that no one from Chicago's front office -- a group that included then-GM Ron Schueler and current GM Kenny Williams -- called to inform Cameron he had been traded to the Reds for Paul Konerko in November 1998.

Instead, Cameron learned of the deal via television between Winter League games in the Dominican Republic.

"I still haven't got a call," Cameron said on Thursday morning, loud enough for half the Brewers' clubhouse to hear.

"I held a grudge for so long, and I promised that every time I played the White Sox, I would try to do something special."

This PED-using douche needs to STFU. Seriously, how can you test positive TWICE for using a banned substance and mouth off like this? This cheating asshat should be thankful that he's still allowed to play in the majors.

Edited by WCSox

Annnnd fully reading on...

Cameron would hate to miss a game or two against the Sox. He was Chicago's 18th-round Draft pick in 1991 and played parts of four Major League seasons with the Sox from 1995-98, hitting 14 home runs in 116 games in '97. He endured what he called a sophomore slump the following year, when he batted .210 with eight homers.

So Cameron went to work on his game in the Dominican Winter League. It was there, watching CNN, that he learned of the trade. He feels he should have heard the news from Schueler.

"They've got CNN down there, so they probably have telephones," Cameron said.

The outfielder's ire has mellowed over the years. Today, Cameron appreciates that the White Sox gave him his break in the game, and he has taken some of the lessons he learned from the experience -- work hard every single day, don't take anything for granted -- to heart.

Still, the way in which he was cast away still stings. That's why Cameron makes sure he's ready to play when the Sox are the opponent, even if it's only a Spring Training game.

In the regular season, Cameron is a career .331 hitter against the White Sox, with 10 home runs and 31 RBIs in 130 at-bats.

Cameron's first postseason appearance came in 2000 for Seattle against Chicago, and he drove in two runs in the Mariners' three-game sweep. Two years later, Cameron became the 13th player in Major League history to belt four home runs in a game, and he did it against the White Sox.

"Back then, it was a personal vendetta for me," Cameron said. "At some point, you have to move on. I realize that they brought me up [to the Majors] at 22 when I had only played four months of Double-A baseball. I made it to the big leagues before I went to big league Spring Training.

"When I was traded, I was young and I was mad. But over time, I have realized that the whole experience is why I'm still here today. If it wasn't for old Ron Schueler, none of this would have been possible."

Even praised Paulie. He's an idiot though and has his issues, but he isn't completely denial. I gotta thank Mike. If it wasn't for his potential the Reds saw (or thought they saw), we probably wouldn't have gotten Konerko.

To be completely fair, Mike Cameron would have looked pretty damn good in CF over the past 10-13 years. I'm glad the Sox got Paulie, and he helped the Sox win a Series (which Cameron still has never done), but Cameron has been a much more valuable player over his entire career.

I wonder if some of you eve read the article, he goes on to say he now see's things differently and happy the organization gave him a chance to play so early in his career and praises paulie. But to be honest, if I was traded and on the major league team and couldnt be bothered with a phone call, I would be pretty pissed too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
To be completely fair, Mike Cameron would have looked pretty damn good in CF over the past 10-13 years. I'm glad the Sox got Paulie, and he helped the Sox win a Series (which Cameron still has never done), but Cameron has been a much more valuable player over his entire career.

Cameron's two full seasons in Chicago were busts offensively, and then he suddenly morphed into a consistent 20-30 HR hitter in Seattle. Coincidentally, he also tested positive for PEDs twice.

I would've loved to have a Gold Glove-caliber CF who could hit 20-30 HRs over 10-13 years, but I'd want him to do it the right way.