6/12 Games

scenario

Charlotte loses 3-2 in extras to Lehigh Valley

Torres with another strong start for the Knights. Season ERA is now 2.55. Too bad the team can't hit.

Lillibridge now batting .192 for Charlotte. :o

Birmingham a 6-2 winner at Mississippi

Another good outing by Harrell. (6 innings, 2 earned runs on 7 hits, 3 K's, 2 BB's). Excellent relief pitching by Nunez and Hernandez. 11 hits including 5 doubles by the Barons... 2 by Flowers.

W-S loses 3-2 at home to Wilmington

Rasner with another nice start. The team just couldn't score enough runs to back him up. Mollenhauer with 2 hits... a double and a triple.

Kanny a 6-4 winner over Greensboro in 10 innings.

Seth Loman auditioning for the big league team by hitting 3 solo home runs. He's been tearing up the South Atlantic League. Probably time to move him back up to Winston-Salem.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
How close is B-ham to clinching now?

Magic number is 4, I think.

But for all practical purposes, they've got the first half title wrapped up. They're 7 games ahead of the second place team.

Jordan Danks certainly has been working on striking out less since his jump. He's actually around the same number as earlier this season with W-S and remember he's jumped a level.

WS: AVG-.322 AB-118 H-38 R-25 2B-11 3B-2 HR-3 RBI-21 BB-18 SO-32 SB-5 CS-1 OBP-.409 SLG-.525 OPS-.934

BIR: AVG-.314 AB-118 H-37 R-20 2B-5 3B-1 HR-3 RBI-11 BB-14 SO-31 SB-3 CS-2 OBP-.383 SLG-.449 OPS-.833

He's hitting less XBH and he's cooled off a bit, but he's still been very impressive.

Numbers-wise at least, the system has a very good set of closers...

Jon Link, AAA: 7 saves, 2.57 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 10 BB / 38 K in 28 IP

Fernando Hernandez, AA: 11 saves, 1.32 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 11 BB / 33 K in 34 IP

Nathan Jones, A+/A- combined (not the closer in W-S, but that is his projection): 1 save, 1.57 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, 11 BB / 33 K in 28.2 IP

Dan Remenowsky, A-: 8 saves, 2.78 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 4 BB / 40 K in 22.2 IP

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
Magic number is 4, I think.

But for all practical purposes, they've got the first half title wrapped up. They're 7 games ahead of the second place team.

They have a 7 game lead with 9 games left to play. Guess I won't get to see them clinch at home this year.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
3 homer game for Seth Loman, I never understood why he was demoted to Kanny because home run power aside he was hitting reasonably well.

Wasn't getting any playing time in W-S. Only DH'ed when he did play. But, they have an open roster spot, so someone may come up soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
Numbers-wise at least, the system has a very good set of closers...

Jon Link, AAA: 7 saves, 2.57 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 10 BB / 38 K in 28 IP

Fernando Hernandez, AA: 11 saves, 1.32 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 11 BB / 33 K in 34 IP

Nathan Jones, A+/A- combined (not the closer in W-S, but that is his projection): 1 save, 1.57 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, 11 BB / 33 K in 28.2 IP

Dan Remenowsky, A-: 8 saves, 2.78 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 4 BB / 40 K in 22.2 IP

This is why I'm ok with trading Dotel this season - you have to figure the Sox give his spot to one of these guys next season either way.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
This is why I'm ok with trading Dotel this season - you have to figure the Sox give his spot to one of these guys next season either way.

Link is the most realistic guy and I am confident he will be up in September at the latest. Hernandez might still be a year away, and Jones is definitely at least two years away. I would also be surprised if Remenewsky (or however you spell it) is ever a major leaguer. Relievers in the minors don't usually have the best track records in the majors. Edwin Almonte, Dave Sanders and Arnie Munoz come to mind.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
They have a 7 game lead with 9 games left to play. Guess I won't get to see them clinch at home this year.

How does the halves system work again? So if Birmingham clinches the 1st half, are they in the playoffs for sure?

Also, do all levels have the halves system?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
Jordan Danks certainly has been working on striking out less since his jump. He's actually around the same number as earlier this season with W-S and remember he's jumped a level.

WS: AVG-.322 AB-118 H-38 R-25 2B-11 3B-2 HR-3 RBI-21 BB-18 SO-32 SB-5 CS-1 OBP-.409 SLG-.525 OPS-.934

BIR: AVG-.314 AB-118 H-37 R-20 2B-5 3B-1 HR-3 RBI-11 BB-14 SO-31 SB-3 CS-2 OBP-.383 SLG-.449 OPS-.833

He's hitting less XBH and he's cooled off a bit, but he's still been very impressive.

That's still on pace for 130+ strikeouts in a 500 at bat season. His BABIP in the minors is still up over .400.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
That's still on pace for 130+ strikeouts in a 500 at bat season. His BABIP in the minors is still up over .400.

He's probably not a .320 hitter, which he has shown this year and even better than that in college. Because he Ks so much, he is probably a .275-.290 hitter in the majors, which is absolutely fine because he walks a lot, has decent power, steals bases and plays a GG CF.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
How does the halves system work again? So if Birmingham clinches the 1st half, are they in the playoffs for sure?

Also, do all levels have the halves system?

Yes, if the Barons win the 1st half, they're automatically in the playoffs. And no, not all levels use the half system. AAA doesn't and one of the AA leagues doesn't (Eastern League, I believe). Not sure about some of the A-/A+ leagues.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
Yes, if the Barons win the 1st half, they're automatically in the playoffs. And no, not all levels use the half system. AAA doesn't and one of the AA leagues doesn't (Eastern League, I believe). Not sure about some of the A-/A+ leagues.

W-S is close to clinching too.

Guess who's career averages these are (the percentages take into account all years, but the other stats are averaged from seasons with only 600+ AB's):

.275 BA | .366 OBP | .486 SLG | 142 SO | 82 BB | 41 2B | 27 HR | 81 RBI | 29 SB | 116 R

If you guessed

Grady Sizemore

, you are correct!

If Jordan Danks can come anywhere near those numbers in the majors, I'll be f***ing ecstatic.