Dye named AL Co-Player of the Week

Balta1701

Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, who saved three games to reach the 500 mark in his career, and White Sox right fielder Jermaine Dye, who batted .500, were named on Monday co-winners of the American League Player of the Week Award presented by Bank of America.

Rivera did not allow a run and struck out six batters in his three appearances. Against the Mets on Sunday, he became the second pitcher in Major League history, and the first in the American League, to record 500 saves. Only Trevor Hoffman of the Brewers has more career saves. He has 571.

"You can add up all the players that ever played the game, and Mo has been as consistent as anyone," Yankees captain Derek Jeter said. "He's done it in the regular season, he's done it in the postseason, he's done it in Spring Training, he's done it in the Minor Leagues. He's done it everywhere he's been."

In six games, Dye led the Majors with a .500 (12-for-24) batting average, 25 total bases and four doubles while also contributing three home runs and six RBIs to the White Sox. The 35-year-old also had a Major League-best 1.042 slugging percentage in addition to a .520 on-base percentage. The two-time AL All-Star right fielder compiled six consecutive multi-hit games and increased his home run total to a club-best 18.

Link

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:10 AM)
Where does he rank in Sox history with regards to the best outfielder, would you say? Top 3?

I'm sure I'm not an authority to answer this being a late comer to Sox fandom (1998). But, from what I know, yes top 3. Easily the best since I've been following the Sox. He seems to get better with age.

Shoeless joe jackson, magglio ordonez, jermaine dye, and carlos lee in that order.

Lee has really come on strong once he left chicago. In no way was lee a slouch when with us, he hit 152 homeruns while here, which is good for 25 home runs per season.

Since he left, not counting this season, lee has hit 129 home runs, which is good for 32.25 home runs per season

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:42 AM)
Shoeless joe jackson, magglio ordonez, jermaine dye, and carlos lee in that order.

Lee has really come on strong once he left chicago. In no way was lee a slouch when with us, he hit 152 homeruns while here, which is good for 25 home runs per season.

Since he left, not counting this season, lee has hit 129 home runs, which is good for 32.25 home runs per season

What about Harold?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:45 AM)
What about Harold?

Ever since 1987 he went on to dh, 1987 was the best he ever hit while with the sox, and he eventually went on to be traded to the rangers after 97 games played. Baines was in the field for 6 seasons with the sox, and he practically never played the field after that 1987 season and on. Five of his seven best years were either when he was no longer a sox, no longer in the field, or a combination of the two.

Shoeless joe jackson.

Magglio ordonez.

Jermaine dye.

Carlos lee.

Harold baines.

Realistically lee and baines could be flipped and it would not bother me.