7/6 Games

Heads22

Durham (48-35) @ Charlotte (38-44)

Carlos Hernandez (5-4, 3.63) vs. Wes Whisler (5-6, 3.64)

6:15 PM CT

Birmingham (6-7/54-28) @ Montgomery (6-8/39-45)

Daniel Hudson (1-0, 3.93) vs. Aneury Rodriguez (4-8, 6.13)

7:05 PM CT

Salem (8-3/40-40) @ Winston-Salem (5-5/43-35)

Seth Garrison (4-7, 4.74) vs. Jacob Rasner (1-0, 3.11)

6:00 PM CT

Delmarva (5-6/41-39) @ Kannapolis (7-3/44-36)

Nathan Moreau (1-2, 4.75) vs. Stephen Sauer (4-2, 3.07)

6:05 PM CT

Great Falls (8-5) @ Ogden (7-6)

TBD vs. TBD

8:00 PM CT

Bristol (4-9) @ Johnson City (8-5)

TBD vs. TBD

6:00 PM CT

DSL White Sox (21-10) @ DSL Rockies (18-13)

TBD vs. TBD

10:30 AM local time - PPD?

Huddy - 5 innings, 7 K, 0 BB, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER

Like to see him cut down on the pitches per inning a bit, but overall, a really solid start.

He's now at 107 K's and 21 BB's in 90.1 IP, with an ERA at I believe 2.80 right now. He's had a really fantastic first half+ to his season. If he keeps this up, I think he could make it into top 50 MLB prospect lists.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
JPN, how is Hudson pitching in your opinion with a bird's eye view? How is his fastball and secondary pitches? Thanx

He's doing well. Still acclimating himself to AA. More patient hitters, so he's having to throw more pitches. I've seen him twice and his fastball was humming the first time, but a little flat the second time. Which accounted for the 5 runs he gave up. It topped out at 98 the first time and just 94 the second. He has a good set of offspeed stuff. He had a low 80's change and something he threw in the high 70's. But, both times he was efficient with his pitch count.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
nice first outing for bellamy....2 perfect IP 3 K

I really like him. The upside might be somewhat limited, but he should freaking destroy the low minors. I like him enough to be in AA sometime next season. I've seen him on TV a couple times and he is a really polished pitcher. I'm not completely sold on the deception of the sidearm being as successful in AA or higher, but that's why he was a 5th rounder and not higher.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 01:53 AM)
He's doing well. Still acclimating himself to AA. More patient hitters, so he's having to throw more pitches. I've seen him twice and his fastball was humming the first time, but a little flat the second time. Which accounted for the 5 runs he gave up. It topped out at 98 the first time and just 94 the second. He has a good set of offspeed stuff. He had a low 80's change and something he threw in the high 70's. But, both times he was efficient with his pitch count.

It's funny you say you don't know what his breaking ball is because the scouting reports I've read on him (mostly from college/draft time though) don't even agree on what it is. One said he had a good curve and mentioned a slider. One said he had a plus slider that he relied on a lot. Another said he had a 'good breaking ball,' not even going as far as to name what pitch it was.

Recaps...

Charlotte lost to Durham, 6-1. Whisler actually went 7 strong, Russell 1 good IP, then Link fell apart and gave up 5 ER in the 9th for the loss (also made an error that inning). Link has a 7.82 ERA in his last 10 appearances. Lillibridge 3-4, Lucy 2-4 with a double getting his Avg back above .200.

B-Ham won 3-0. Hudson (5 IP), Brooks (3 IP) and Mabee (1 IP) combined for the shutout. Cook 2-3 w/ RBI, BB, and Shelby with a solo HR. Danks was 1-5, 2B, R, K.

Winston-Salem lost to Salem, 4-0. J-Lowe gave up all 4 runs over 6.2 IP, took the loss. Morel and Gallagher w/ 2 hits each. Morel on an 8 game hitting streak, he's hitting .424 over that stretch with 4 doubles and 3 HR.

Kanny lost 5-1 to Delmarva. Sauer was decent over 7 IP, gave up 3 runs but just 1 earned, walked 3, K'd 5. O'Neill had a rough inning, Remenowsky 1 scoreless IP. Phegley finally looked mortal going 0-4, KWJR had a double in 4 AB, Escobar 2-3, 3B.

GF Off.

Bristol beat Johnson City, 4-0. Charles Delk went 6 shutout IP, 7 H, no walks and 6 K. Bellamy 2 scoreless, 3 K. Rienzo closed it with 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K. Wagner 2-4 RBI, HBJR 1-4 hitting .120 now, Pangilinan as stated earlier homered in his first pro AB, finished 1-4.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 03:32 AM)
I really like him. The upside might be somewhat limited, but he should freaking destroy the low minors. I like him enough to be in AA sometime next season. I've seen him on TV a couple times and he is a really polished pitcher. I'm not completely sold on the deception of the sidearm being as successful in AA or higher, but that's why he was a 5th rounder and not higher.

It's funny you say you don't know what his breaking ball is because the scouting reports I've read on him (mostly from college/draft time though) don't even agree on what it is. One said he had a good curve and mentioned a slider. One said he had a plus slider that he relied on a lot. Another said he had a 'good breaking ball,' not even going as far as to name what pitch it was.

Yeah, it looked like it could have been both.