Dayan Viciedo: A First Half Review

danman31

Fantastic writeup. I've always felt good about Viciedo all season even when others have been pointing out his low OPS, etc, and it's nice to see a very solid article backing a stance I agree with - that he's doing just fine for his 1st season in the U.S.

Edited by dasox24

JPN, do you think the friendly hitters park in Charlotte will benefit Viciedo more than BHam? I tend to think so but there is no graphical tool in MILB.COM that shows to what fields he is hitting the ball to. With Beckham I got a chart that showed he was spraying the ball all over the place once he got to the bigs and especially at the Cell which is a hitter's park but not so sure with Viciedo. Do you think AAA will be a good promotion for him next year?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 04:04 AM)
JPN, do you think the friendly hitters park in Charlotte will benefit Viciedo more than BHam? I tend to think so but there is no graphical tool in MILB.COM that shows to what fields he is hitting the ball to. With Beckham I got a chart that showed he was spraying the ball all over the place once he got to the bigs and especially at the Cell which is a hitter's park but not so sure with Viciedo. Do you think AAA will be a good promotion for him next year?

I know you asked JPN, but I'll give my opinion also. I think B-ham is a better park for him right now. While it could deflate his numbers, it won't get him into bad habits of lofting flyballs just to get them out of Charlotte's stadium. I think if he proves he can hit AA pitching consistently, his time in AAA will be short, if he goes there at all. However, his numbers to date don't indicate he's ready for a promotion, IMO.

Guess what? Viciedo picked up another error (23 for the season). He is butchering 3rd base and is definitely not the answer there long term. Outfield, 1st base, or DH maybe?

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 03:04 AM)

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:11 AM)
Guess what? Viciedo picked up another error (23 for the season). He is butchering 3rd base and is definitely not the answer there long term. Outfield, 1st base, or DH maybe?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
JPN, how does Viciedo's defense at 3B look?

All will be answered in my first Barons blog which I should have ready to post on Future Sox sometime tonight.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 04:11 AM)

He's 20 years old. Joe Crede made 30 errors at the same age.