AAP: Jared Mitchell

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
I'm really trying to put in a lot more effort into following the prospects and I'm confused why people are so high on Mitchell (top 10 in the organization). Sure he's got speed, but it seems like he has lost a step after the injury.

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/07/...ed-mitchell-of/

Also, it doesn't look like he hasn't batted his way into the top 10. Last year, he had a line of .237/.358/.420. Also, his K% from last year was above 30%.

So am I missing something here or is he just rated high because people believe he has a high ceiling or what?

I think he gets rated high because of his tools he had when he was drafted. He was VERY raw, but he was extremely athletic. IMO, I don't think Mitchell will ever be a MLB regular. I'm sure he sees time in the majors though as a 4th OF, but I really can't see how anyone can still get excited by him. I really hope he make me eat this post a few years from now, lol.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 01:57 AM)
I think he gets rated high because of his tools he had when he was drafted. He was VERY raw, but he was extremely athletic. IMO, I don't think Mitchell will ever be a MLB regular. I'm sure he sees time in the majors though as a 4th OF, but I really can't see how anyone can still get excited by him. I really hope he make me eat this post a few years from now, lol.

Thanks for the reply and I hope he does too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mitchell's season was a little disappointing last year, but good god has this season been bad. I can't imagine what the problem is. It's Dunn-like. I feel bad for the guy, honestly.

Damn. I haven't followed the farm system as much as I used to, so this was the first time seeing his stats. While I always thought he was overrated within the organization, I also feel terrible for him. It seemed like he just couldn't recover from that injury he suffered before the 2010 season.

Last year in AA: .800 OPS, 10 HR, 12 3B, 13 2B, .240 AVG/.370 OBP

There was some hope there. BA a little low, but at 23 he still had time to sharpen that up. He was looking at least like a serviceable MLB backup with his speed and defense.

This year...there's no explaining that. Some have said he is a release candidate, but at age 24 and with a little bit of track record I'm going to try to find a level/batting approach/position/something where he can succeed and hope something clicks back into gear.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
Last year in AA: .800 OPS, 10 HR, 12 3B, 13 2B, .240 AVG/.370 OBP

There was some hope there. BA a little low, but at 23 he still had time to sharpen that up. He was looking at least like a serviceable MLB backup with his speed and defense.

This year...there's no explaining that. Some have said he is a release candidate, but at age 24 and with a little bit of track record I'm going to try to find a level/batting approach/position/something where he can succeed and hope something clicks back into gear.

IIRC He opened last year with a major hot streak and finished out the season on a major slump. The hot streak brought some hope, the end of the year didn't bring much.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...