Mark Buehrle Enjoys Hunting

whitesoxmanager

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
This is pointless. For a while there I actually thought you had some semblance of intelligence gut you've completely disproved that today.

You basically just called him a moron without actually saying moron. Watch it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
You basically just called him a moron without actually saying moron. Watch it.

He's been trolling each of my posts using arguments that an uninformed grammar school student would use. It can get grating after a while.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
actually it's not. your values are completely ridiculous and contradictory; judging from your posts here you deserve the ridicule directed towards you.

Please explain how my values are ridiculous. I didn't call your values ridiculous.

And how are my values contradictory? I explained that I go out of my way to not use any animal products. If an animal gets ACCIDENTALLY harmed in the process of the production of what I purchase how exactly is that contradictory?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Please explain how my values are ridiculous. I didn't call your values ridiculous.

And how are my values contradictory? I explained that I go out of my way to not use any animal products. If an animal gets ACCIDENTALLY harmed in the process of the production of what I purchase how exactly is that contradictory?

i'll take back the ridiculous values part. I’ve already addressed the contradictions in your stances and answered your current inquiry in my previous posts.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
I’ve already addressed the contradictions in your stances and answered your current inquiry in my previous posts.

No you didn't but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

I believe anyone who eats meat should harvest an animal and process it for consumption. The ethics should begin with a simple question, are humans naturally carnivores? I do not believe a lion, for example, is evil for eating a gazelle. Nor do I believe a domestic cat is evil for killing a mouse. Therefore, if humans are carnivores, and I believe we are, it cannot be called evil to kill a cow, pig, deer, chicken, goat, dove, etc.

I certainly respect the position expressed by those on the list who are vegetarians and believe killing is wrong. However, I have a difficult time respecting those that tell me hunting is wrong while eating a bacon wrapped fillet mignon.

Sadly, by the time we learn if our maker designed us to eat meat, it will be too late to tell those left behind.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
I believe anyone who eats meat should harvest an animal and process it for consumption. The ethics should begin with a simple question, are humans naturally carnivores? I do not believe a lion, for example, is evil for eating a gazelle. Nor do I believe a domestic cat is evil for killing a mouse. Therefore, if humans are carnivores, and I believe we are, it cannot be called evil to kill a cow, pig, deer, chicken, goat, dove, etc.

I certainly respect the position expressed by those on the list who are vegetarians and believe killing is wrong. However, I have a difficult time respecting those that tell me hunting is wrong while eating a bacon wrapped fillet mignon.

Sadly, by the time we learn if our maker designed us to eat meat, it will be too late to tell those left behind.

Isn't the purpose of our canine teeth to tear meat? An asparagas doesnt require sharp, pointy teeth to rip it to shreds. At least I can meet your criteria, and then some. I hunt, process and eat what I kill, even though I don't do it anywhere near as often as I used to. I also worked a summer in a small meat packing plant and participated in almost all the processes in the production of animals from the kill floor to the meat grinder. It was interesting work, to say the least, and it didn't turn me off of meat. In fact, I developed a larger taste for a good steak after that summer.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
Isn't the purpose of our canine teeth to tear meat? An asparagas doesnt require sharp, pointy teeth to rip it to shreds.

You really think humans have sharp, pointy teeth like a wolf, lion, or other predators? Perhaps you can demonstrate for me how a human can run down a deer or other prey and sink your sharp, pointy teeth into their hide like other predators do.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
You really think humans have sharp, pointy teeth like a wolf, lion, or other predators? Perhaps you can demonstrate for me how a human can run down a deer or other prey and sink your sharp, pointy teeth into their hide like other predators do.

:lolhitting

I usually dont read the Buster but this thread is hilarious.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Fact is our canine teeth are there to rip into meat weather you want to believe it or not. And nature gave us a brain to get food so that we don't have to run around like idiots trying to kill animals with our teeth and strength. The whole point of life is survival of the fittest, and because of our brain we are the fittest creatures on this planet so I don't feel guilty eating meat or killing animals to get it.

Edited by kev211

Do we have a set of teeth like a cow or a horse?

Or do we have a nice mix of teeth for meat-eating and plant-eating, being omnivores and all?

There are plenty of carnivorous animals that do not physically catch their prey at all (scavengers) or that do not bring an animal down with their teeth (apes, including humans).

I do accept that. My point is that I make the absolute best effort to avoid all animal products in everything I consume. There are going to be instances where an animal somehow accidentally was hurt or killed in the process of production for something I purchase. For someone to equate what I am doing with a typical omnivore is ridiculous and deep down inside you know I am right. The 2 approaches are completely different.

And FYI I have been vegan for 3 years now. My life has been very difficult in many ways because of this. I am completely marginalized and even ostracized by some. It's really interesting to see how people immediately get defensive when I tell them about my lifestyle. They feel like they need to diminish what I'm doing or make me feel ridiculous for doing so. I don't walk around preaching to people and telling them how they need to run their lives yet they have no problem to tell me how wrong I am and tell me what I should and shouldn't eat. I don't know if there's some sort of guilt deep inside or they feel threatened or what but it can get quite disheartening living in an omni world.

Do you have any fake leather products?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:42 AM)
Fact is our canine teeth are there to rip into meat weather you want to believe it or not. And nature gave us a brain to get food so that we don't have to run around like idiots trying to kill animals with our teeth and strength. The whole point of life is survival of the fittest, and because of our brain we are the fittest creatures on this planet so I don't feel guilty eating meat or killing animals to get it.

I see so just like all other predators and scavengers I assume you eat all of your meat completely bloody and raw. You don't need to mask the taste of meat by cooking it and putting all kinds of spices and sauces on it. And you don't get sick by eating all your meat bloody and raw because your body was built to eat it this way.

I on the other hand have a very unnatural diet. I must mask the taste of fruits and vegetables by cooking them and masking their tastes with other things. If I didn't do so my body would probably get violently ill since its not meant to eat these types of things and I'm forcing it to do so.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
I'd say we're the only species on the planet with brains developed to the point where we can question whether we're carnivores or herbivores, no?

:notworthy That may be one of the best, briefest, and most profound posts I have read here. I raise a piece of bacon to you :D

We use tools. Much like we have used tools to build our homes, transport ourselves, manage our waste products, etc. Which brings us full circle, Mark Buerhle likes to use tools to gather his food.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
I'd say we're the only species on the planet with brains developed to the point where we can question whether we're carnivores or herbivores, no?

Unless you're Dr Doolittle I don't see how you can ever know that answer with certainty.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
We use tools. Much like we have used tools to build our homes, transport ourselves, manage our waste products, etc. Which brings us full circle, Mark Buerhle likes to use tools to gather his food.

I suggest you read The China Study. It documents the results of a study performed throughout the 70s and 80s in rural China that compared communities that had access to meat and dairy with those that did not. The diets involving animal meat and dairy had much higher incidents of diabetes, cancer, heart disease and osteoporosis.

Contrary to most people's belief, eating meat 3 times a day is a fairly recent phenomena that started early to mid 20th century.

EDITED to add link to book

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Unless you're Dr Doolittle I don't see how you can ever know that answer with certainty.

However, by observing animal behavior and feeding habits, we can learn if other species voluntarily become vegetarians or carnivores.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
However, by observing animal behavior and feeding habits, we can learn if other species voluntarily become vegetarians or carnivores.

That may be the case but as a human I have the ability to avoid undue harm and suffering just to satisfy my taste buds.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)

Yes, you're right, but I haven't ever heard of carnivorous species being vegetarians. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I've never heard of it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
I suggest you read The China Study. It documents the results of a study performed throughout the 70s and 80s in rural China that compared communities that had access to meat and dairy with those that did not. The diets involving animal meat and dairy had much higher incidents of diabetes, cancer, heart disease and osteoporosis.

Contrary to most people's belief, eating meat 3 times a day is a fairly recent phenomena that started early to mid 20th century.

EDITED to add link to book

If we are debating the merits of a meat less diet, to one heavily laden with meat, I agree, less meat seems to be a better diet. And based on our design flaws you mentioned earlier, I'd say we were meant to eat far fewer animal products than the average North American diet. But to maximize survival chances, being able to eat a wider array of items is more efficient than fewer.

Also we have selectively bred and raised animals that are higher in fat than what would naturally occur. Wild game is typically much leaner than what you would buy in the supermarket.