K, this might get heated, but let's talk

bmags

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Well, I will say I don't usually come to a full stop at stop signs while on the bike. I slow down to a crawl, pull up to the line, and take my turn. But I don't just fly through.

Right, and some dont warrant a full stop, but I just see too many people on bikes totally ignore any rules of the road and then they are upset when they jeopardize their own lives and lives of others. I am an avid biker, but I do it in a reasonable manner, and if I want to ride fast, I do it on the lakefront.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
I'll say one thing for sure.... you gotta be f***ing crazy to ride around on a bike in the streets of Chicago. You got idiots, people without licenses, people driving cars that should not be on the streets, etc. It's a death trap.

I would wager its safer to ride around in a city than in a suburb. Average speed tends to be slower, and with so much going around you, drivers tend to be more aware of what's happening around them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
Right, and some dont warrant a full stop, but I just see too many people on bikes totally ignore any rules of the road and then they are upset when they jeopardize their own lives and lives of others. I am an avid biker, but I do it in a reasonable manner, and if I want to ride fast, I do it on the lakefront.

That lakefront path, anywhere from downtown north, in the afternoons and evenings, is more dangerous that riding in city traffic IMO. I wouldn't go near it. 8 zillion walkers and bikers of all different speeds and not paying attention. I'd rather take the street.

It works well in the very early morning though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
That lakefront path, anywhere from downtown north, in the afternoons and evenings, is more dangerous that riding in city traffic IMO. I wouldn't go near it. 8 zillion walkers and bikers of all different speeds and not paying attention. I'd rather take the street.

The Hudson river Greenway path is ridiculous on the weekends, parents out with their small kids, mixed with oblivious rollerbladers with iPods and amateur racers that thinks a path in a park full of little kids is a great place to practice your sprinting technique.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)

There is a spot, just south of Fullerton that has got to be one of the most dangerous spots. It's basically just the lake, the path and some stone steps and there are CONSTANTLY kids darting across from the lake to the steps. I've been in many near crashes on my bike and when I rollerbladed. Nobody looks. I think they should make the bike path safely attached to Lake Shore Drive. Maybe have a fifth bike lane separated by barriers.

Also: I've always said, Chicago is a right-of-way city. When I drive, I have the right-of-way. When I walk, Ihave the right-of-way. When I bike, I have the right-of-way. And I think most Chicagoans feel that way.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
There is nothing I hate more than cyclists on the street. Makes me way too nervous. I always feel like I am going to kill someone.

I'd actually prefer for drivers, and riders, to be more nervous than the typically are. All these discussions about talking on the phone, texting, eating, wearing headphones, whatever while driving/riding, center around people allowing themselves to be distracted. In short, people don't take driving/riding seriously enough. They are too relaxed. They need to be in yellow alert mode, not green. Driving is dangerous, a 3000 pound semi-guided missle is dangerous.

So if bikes on the road makes more cyclists and drivers nervous, I actually call that a win.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
There is a spot, just south of Fullerton that has got to be one of the most dangerous spots. It's basically just the lake, the path and some stone steps and there are CONSTANTLY kids darting across from the lake to the steps. I've been in many near crashes on my bike and when I rollerbladed. Nobody looks. I think they should make the bike path safely attached to Lake Shore Drive. Maybe have a fifth bike lane separated by barriers.

Also: I've always said, Chicago is a right-of-way city. When I drive, I have the right-of-way. When I walk, Ihave the right-of-way. When I bike, I have the right-of-way. And I think most Chicagoans feel that way.

That part of the lake isnt even a path, I would venture up there. I go from about Monroe down south past the museums, VERY clear sailing.

Actually, most states have laws governing this. In New York state, its legal to pass a bicycle at any time, provided that it can be done safely.

And the truth is, if you can't pass a bicycle riding on the right of the traffic lane because of opposite travel because there isn't enough clearance, 45 probably isn't a safe speed regardless.

I'll let the traffic engineers determine the speed limits, not a bike rider.

Had another asshole that jumped too far from the curb in a 4 lane 45 MPH speed zone last night. Just to feel safe I swerve onto the white dotted lines in order to pass him. What should I have done if it was busier and there was someone in my blind spot? Slam to screeching halt?

Where should kids ride their bikes? What about grown adults with those attachments that hold toddlers behind them? You want them on the street, not the sidewalk NSS?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)

Had another asshole that jumped too far from the curb in a 4 lane 45 MPH speed zone last night. Just to feel safe I swerve onto the white dotted lines in order to pass him. What should I have done if it was busier and there was someone in my blind spot? Slam to screeching halt?

Where should kids ride their bikes? What about grown adults with those attachments that hold toddlers behind them? You want them on the street, not the sidewalk NSS?

Little kids on their own bikes, I don't actually know if the law is different, but they should probably be on sidewalks or paths when they are learning. Adults with carriers are adults, and should be on the street. They are too heavy and go too fast to be on the sidewalks. They are safer on the street. But me personally, I would never ride with a kid in the city, street OR sidewalk.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)

Traffic engineers seem to have determined that cyclists are safest on the streets. That's why most states require cyclists to be on the street.

I hate cyclists. I live in the south suburbs and nothing gets me more steamed than seeing a cyclist riding their bike on the street when there's perfectly clear and open sidewalks just 5 feet away. I know cyclists are discouraged from using the sidewalks, but I consider cyclists to be pedestrians, no different than people on rollerblades.

Another thing, out here it's usually those limp-wristed ones wearing retarded tights that are preparing for a bike race that are always on the road, even one-lane roads like Wolf road which should be the last streets cyclists should think about riding on.

Another thing I hate: pedestrians in front of food stores/walmart/kmart/etc. I hate how the rules of the road gives pedestrians the right of way, and they just walk all over the parking lot, forcing drivers to stop at stop signs and slow down just to let these pedestrians cross the street. I believe cars have the right of way, not pedestrians, and that pedestrians should wait until the path is clear before walking across the lot to their cars. We all learned as children to look both ways before crossing the street, and the same should apply to pedestrians in parking lots. I always look both ways in parking lots and even run across the path so cars won't have to stop or slow down for me.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
I know cyclists are discouraged from using the sidewalks, but I consider cyclists to be pedestrians, no different than people on rollerblades.

Some bicyclists can bike at speeds over 20 mph. You'd want them flying down sidewalks that your grandmother walks on?

Another thing I hate: pedestrians in front of food stores/walmart/kmart/etc.

When you go to these stores do you just drive right into them?

forcing drivers to stop at stop signs

What a horrible thing for drivers to do. The humanity!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
Little kids on their own bikes, I don't actually know if the law is different, but they should probably be on sidewalks or paths when they are learning. Adults with carriers are adults, and should be on the street. They are too heavy and go too fast to be on the sidewalks. They are safer on the street. But me personally, I would never ride with a kid in the city, street OR sidewalk.

Its is illegal for adults to ride their bikes on the sidewalks, this does not apply to children.

I hate cyclists. I live in the south suburbs and nothing gets me more steamed than seeing a cyclist riding their bike on the street when there's perfectly clear and open sidewalks just 5 feet away. I know cyclists are discouraged from using the sidewalks, but I consider cyclists to be pedestrians, no different than people on rollerblades.

Another thing, out here it's usually those limp-wristed ones wearing retarded tights that are preparing for a bike race that are always on the road, even one-lane roads like Wolf road which should be the last streets cyclists should think about riding on.

Another thing I hate: pedestrians in front of food stores/walmart/kmart/etc. I hate how the rules of the road gives pedestrians the right of way, and they just walk all over the parking lot, forcing drivers to stop at stop signs and slow down just to let these pedestrians cross the street. I believe cars have the right of way, not pedestrians, and that pedestrians should wait until the path is clear before walking across the lot to their cars. We all learned as children to look both ways before crossing the street, and the same should apply to pedestrians in parking lots. I always look both ways in parking lots and even run across the path so cars won't have to stop or slow down for me.

I get to post this for the second time in a week, but to different posters... you managed to be offensive (limp-wristed?) and incredibly ignorant (see all you said regarding bikes and sidewalks and the law) in the same post. Good job.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
I get to post this for the second time in a week, but to different posters... you managed to be offensive (limp-wristed?) and incredibly ignorant (see all you said regarding bikes and sidewalks and the law) in the same post. Good job.

lol, at least "limp-wristed" by-passes the filters. :D

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:17 AM)
I guess I was just surprised, for a guy who claims bigotry against certain people in various other discussions, to see you make a bigoted statement like that.

How is it bigoted? I think you're just being a little too sensitive about everything, it's not like I insulted you personally or called you out. I guess I'm just not finding "limp-wristed" as offensive because I used to joke around with a friend by calling him that as his nickname. Even he thought it was funny.

Chillaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
How is it bigoted? I think you're just being a little too sensitive about everything, it's not like I insulted you personally or called you out. I guess I'm just not finding "limp-wristed" as offensive because I used to joke around with a friend by calling him that as his nickname. Even he thought it was funny.

Chillaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

So it's only bigoted if it offends you.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 08:02 AM)
So it's only bigoted if it offends you.

You're not getting my point. My point is that I didn't call anyone out or anything. People should only get offended if they're called out, as if I called NortsideSox72 and said "You're a _____!" Or whatever.

I got offended once when Duke Nukem came out and said I'm a racist in another thread, that was calling me out. But too many people on this site get offended over every little thing, even when their name was never called out.

Sheesh!!!!!!

Also, what do you think is more offensive? Calling some imaginary competitive biker "limp-wristed" or calling someone ignorant? Cause NorthsideSox72 is quick to throw the ignorant tag out at people. He said I was ignorant of the law even though I made every effort to say that I knew the law (such as saying bikers were discouraged from using the sidewalk). There is a huge difference between being ignorant of the law (like NorthsideSoxFan accused me of) and knowing the law but disagreeing with it (which describes me).

Also, for the record, last night I was reading this thread at the dinner table on my phone, and NorthsideSox72's post actually made me laugh out loud, and my 51 year old mother asked me what was so funny. I showed her NorthsideSox72's post, and my earlier post, and even she thought it was funny and not offensive, and she usually gets offended VERY easily.

I honestly think NorthsideSox72 has a vendetta against me that's bigger than the alleged vendetta Ozzie had against Brian Anderson. I always feel like I'm being singled out on this site.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
I equate your limp-wristed comment to 'bicyclist are f**s'.

But which would you prefer? Me using the term limp-wristed or saying "bicylists are ***'s"? See, even I won't even use the "f" there, at least I'm trying to be as non-offensive as possible while still getting my point across. These competitive bikers DO wear tight spandex, after all.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
You're not getting my point. My point is that I didn't call anyone out or anything. People should only get offended if they're called out, as if I called NortsideSox72 and said "You're a _____!" Or whatever.

I got offended once when Duke Nukem came out and said I'm a racist in another thread, that was calling me out. But too many people on this site get offended over every little thing, even when their name was never called out.

Sheesh!!!!!!

Also, what do you think is more offensive? Calling some imaginary competitive biker "limp-wristed" or calling someone ignorant? Cause NorthsideSox72 is quick to throw the ignorant tag out at people. He said I was ignorant of the law even though I made every effort to say that I knew the law (such as saying bikers were discouraged from using the sidewalk). There is a huge difference between being ignorant of the law (like NorthsideSoxFan accused me of) and knowing the law but disagreeing with it (which describes me).

Also, for the record, last night I was reading this thread at the dinner table on my phone, and NorthsideSox72's post actually made me laugh out loud, and my 51 year old mother asked me what was so funny. I showed her NorthsideSox72's post, and my earlier post, and even she thought it was funny and not offensive, and she usually gets offended VERY easily.

I honestly think NorthsideSox72 has a vendetta against me that's bigger than the alleged vendetta Ozzie had against Brian Anderson. I always feel like I'm being singled out on this site.

Vendetta? I can't even remember the last time I responded to one of your posts, before this thread.

Anyway, your statement is ignorant of the law, as I said earlier. The law does not "suggest" bikes don't use the sidewalks, it specifically says that bikes be on the road, where they belong. Also, rollerbladers are pedestrians, they are not on a vehicle. Also also, you stated that most of the riders on the street are these "limp-wristed" racers, which is patently false - I and most other adults ride on the road where we belong. Also also also, you said you believed cars have the right of way, not pedestrians. And although certainly, peds can be stupid, there is a good reason why cars have to be responsible giving peds the right of way.

So, I stick by my statement - your post was ignorant of the facts I just stated. That isn't to say you are dumb, which I'm sure you are not - it is to say you don't appear to know the law.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
But which would you prefer? Me using the term limp-wristed or saying "bicylists are ***'s"? See, even I won't even use the "f" there, at least I'm trying to be as non-offensive as possible while still getting my point across. These competitive bikers DO wear tight spandex, after all.

You actually think they wear tight spandex because they are gay? Because as far as I can tell, that is the point you are trying to get across.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)

You got me there. No bigotry whatsoever.