Reduced Ticket Prices for Angels Series

joeynach

Despite the fact that the sox are able to spin next weeks discount ticket prices for the angels series off as "Mark Buehrle appreciation series", they finally seem to be getting it. Tickets for the weekday series against the angels are going to be discounted, Upper Reserved reduced from $23 to $9, Lower Reserved reduced from $38 to $27, and Bleachers from $38 to $27. The sox are saying the $9 price if for Marks perfect 9 innings, and the $27 is for his perfect 27 outs, nice PR spin there. Basically we all know how they botched the weekday series against the Dodgers by charging Prime prices for tickets and drawing lowly crowds in the low 20,000s, so this is an effort to avoid the same scenario. Which is actually really nice to see the sox being proactive and actually doing something about their previous poor decisions with weekday prime prices. Its so much better to get fans in the ballpark buying concessions, parking, souvenirs, etc. Im happy to see the effort being made!

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
I was at the game last night, and the park was pretty empty. They claimed there was like 31K there though.

I think the sox know that if they didn't find a way to discount the Tue, Wed, Thur night series against the Angels they would see crowds like they did for the Dodgers series, like around 22K. Now we have a chance to see if our theory is correct, that the prices do matter regardless of the opponent not named the Cubs or Yanks. We have another 1st place team coming to town for a weekday series while we are right in the thick of things. The Dodgers series was the control, now the discounted Angels series is the experiment. The law of supply and demand should play into effect here, if the supply is too high the price must be lowered to spur demand, move merchandise, etc. Like I was just saying a lot of teams wouldn't do anything and just let the Prime prices stand, its nice to the sox being proactive. I mean seriously the economy is way down and ppl have less money, you have to do something!

In Minnesota, they have Market Mondays where the price of a lower level outfield seat is determined by the DJIA. I was there this past week and bought the ticket when the dow was in the 8000s so the tickets were $8 a piece. Tuesdays they are half priced in the same sections so $10.50.

When the Sox play at home against Minnesota in Sept., the Monday game is half priced so $17 and the Tuesday game is $34.

You're looking at $18.50 vs. $51 per seat for comparable seats for 2 games. Family of 4 thats $74 vs. $204.

The White Sox have very expensive tickets. Unless you want to sit in the upper deck in the corners, you're going to pay a ton of money. With season ticketholders gobbling up most of the better seats, and the arrival of HDTV and the economy, I think more are apt to sit back, relax and strap it down on their couch.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
In Minnesota, they have Market Mondays where the price of a lower level outfield seat is determined by the DJIA. I was there this past week and bought the ticket when the dow was in the 8000s so the tickets were $8 a piece. Tuesdays they are half priced in the same sections so $10.50.

When the Sox play at home against Minnesota in Sept., the Monday game is half priced so $17 and the Tuesday game is $34.

You're looking at $18.50 vs. $51 per seat for comparable seats for 2 games. Family of 4 thats $74 vs. $204.

The White Sox have very expensive tickets. Unless you want to sit in the upper deck in the corners, you're going to pay a ton of money. With season ticketholders gobbling up most of the better seats, and the arrival of HDTV and the economy, I think more are apt to sit back, relax and strap it down on their couch.

They do have expensive tickets. Its somewhat justified. They have a high payroll and operate in a city with large amount of wealth. The problem is the sox have never been the type of franchise that attracts the whales, types of people with so much money they dont know what to do with it. It is and always has been a blue collar fanbase of teachers, salesman, city workers, policeman, fireman, etc. They have a few discount days, but I think they should so more. Make a lot more weekday games discounted in certain sections, or have varying prices on some days/sections dependent upon a certain factor (stock market, team wins, etc).

Well so far my theory is being proven correct. On Tuesday night June 23rd against the dodgers, a Prime priced game, the sox drew 22,251 fans. Tonite the sox drew 30,228 fans on their promotion of reduced ticket prices for some tickets as well as perfect game commerative plaques being given away. Its working.

I have onl seen a few other teams ticket prices but im wondering if the Sox have the most ridiculous ticket prices in baseball.

I mean 38 for outfield is bad, in Pittsburgh I know there outfield seats are like 7 bucks and I sat on the first base side, 100 level for only 24. And 23 for 500 level, thats ridiculous

Edited by SockMe

QUOTE (joeynach @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 01:36 AM)
Well so far my theory is being proven correct. On Tuesday night June 23rd against the dodgers, a Prime priced game, the sox drew 22,251 fans. Tonite the sox drew 30,228 fans on their promotion of reduced ticket prices for some tickets as well as perfect game commerative plaques being given away. Its working.

Although the Buehrle theme gave the team an excuse to lower ticket prices (I buy into that), your theory assumes that the lower ticket prices are the only reason for the increased attendance. I'm not convinced that's the case. One, at least some fans probably did "fall for" the Buehrle theme. Two, there could be other factors at play -- i.e. it's August and the team is right in contention; coming off a good series against NY; excitement about the Peavy trade; excitement about a certain ROY candidate; etc. In other words, in going from the "control" to the "experimental" group, the price isn't the only factor that has changed.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Although the Buehrle theme gave the team an excuse to lower ticket prices (I buy into that), your theory assumes that the lower ticket prices are the only reason for the increased attendance. I'm not convinced that's the case. One, at least some fans probably did "fall for" the Buehrle theme. Two, there could be other factors at play -- i.e. it's August and the team is right in contention; coming off a good series against NY; excitement about the Peavy trade; excitement about a certain ROY candidate; etc. In other words, in going from the "control" to the "experimental" group, the price isn't the only factor that has changed.

Check out a the attendance on half priced Monday. I don't get it as the cost of goods inside the park does not change.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
I have onl seen a few other teams ticket prices but im wondering if the Sox have the most ridiculous ticket prices in baseball.

I mean 38 for outfield is bad, in Pittsburgh I know there outfield seats are like 7 bucks and I sat on the first base side, 100 level for only 24. And 23 for 500 level, thats ridiculous

Not even close.

Disclaimer: I don't know how accurate this is, so if it's off I take no responsibility for it haha

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
Not even close.

Disclaimer: I don't know how accurate this is, so if it's off I take no responsibility for it haha

Further, the Sox are 9th in average ticket price, and same rank for fan-cost-index, in 2009. So, top third in price, barely. The 8 teams more expensive, in order of expense: Red Cubs, Regular Cubs, Yankmes, Cards, Mets, Giants, Phils and Stros.