The Finer Things In Life

knightni

Does anyone have a reliable source for Three Floyds? I can find Robert the Bruce and Alpha King fairly easily, but can't get Gumballhead or Jinx Proof despite visiting like 8 places that supposedly carry it in the last week.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 31, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
Does anyone have a reliable source for Three Floyds? I can find Robert the Bruce and Alpha King fairly easily, but can't get Gumballhead or Jinx Proof despite visiting like 8 places that supposedly carry it in the last week.

This doesn't help you much but if you find yourself in Madison, WI Gumballhead sits in shelves. Of course, IMHO, you should find a different brewery to seek out.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ May 31, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)
This doesn't help you much but if you find yourself in Madison, WI Gumballhead sits in shelves. Of course, IMHO, you should find a different brewery to seek out.

Yeah, it'd be easier for me to just drive to the brewery. :P

Not a fan, huh? I admit it's starting to seem like they're more trouble than they're worth. If it makes you feel any better, I've purchased a fair amount of other stuff during this search (mostly Ommegang and Allagash).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 31, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)

Not a fan, huh? I admit it's starting to seem like they're more trouble than they're worth. If it makes you feel any better, I've purchased a fair amount of other stuff during this search (mostly Ommegang and Allagash).

Great brewery tour right near the HOF. It's a good weekend to spend hitting both of those.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 31, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)

3 Floyd's is a very good brewery but their prices are high and a lot of breweries have caught up to their style. That's a whole separate discussion on the latest shift in craft beer, but not relevant now.

Interestingly you are picking beers that lightly hopped which means to should probably avoid 3 Floyd's as they over hop everything. Allagash and Ommegang are great choices. But if you want Belgian beer, try Chimay.

If you haven't tried Bells Oberon, give that a shot. If you can find Victory beers, try the Prima Pils.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 31, 2014 -> 11:39 PM)
Great brewery tour right near the HOF. It's a good weekend to spend hitting both of those.

Would love to do that some day, but it would take more planning and initiative than I usually have to get out there.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 07:14 AM)
3 Floyd's is a very good brewery but their prices are high and a lot of breweries have caught up to their style. That's a whole separate discussion on the latest shift in craft beer, but not relevant now.

Interestingly you are picking beers that lightly hopped which means to should probably avoid 3 Floyd's as they over hop everything. Allagash and Ommegang are great choices. But if you want Belgian beer, try Chimay.

If you haven't tried Bells Oberon, give that a shot. If you can find Victory beers, try the Prima Pils.

They aren't cheap, but neither are most craft beers unfortunately. It seems like everything is $10 or 11 with some places charging that much for a 4-pack! I also really don't like the shift to larger bottles.I might buy more Allagash if it weren't $18 for one bottle!

I agree that 3 Floyds is a departure from my usual style, but I enjoyed Robert the Bruce and Alpha King is growing on me.

I'm going to assume that some of you have visited some of the breweries in the Chicago area. Any suggestions on ones to visit/avoid or general advice? I'm going to try to hit a few of them this summer. Some of the ones I'm looking at are Two Brothers, Lagunitas, Revolution, Goose Island and Three Floyds (which you probably guessed from my last posts). Any other suggestions? Still debating if I want to try to check out ones that are a bit farther like Bells, Founders and New Glarus.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Bell's and New Glarus are awesome. Better than all the ones you mentioned except maybe Three Floyds. I love their stuff.

I just visited Destihl Brewery down in Champaign. They have an excellent Roggenbier. I was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
I was disappointed when I went to Bell's. Founder's was a way better experience.

I've heard Founders has a kick-ass brewpub. It's borderline for a day-trip though (3 hours each way according to mapquest).

Has anyone tried Revolution Dos Osos? I had it on tap recently. It kind of reminded me of some of the Three Floyds stuff with the hops-heavy finish. I also had a Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown, which I thought was delicious. It was surprisingly easy to drink given its ABV of 9.8%.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Has anyone tried Revolution Dos Osos? I had it on tap recently. It kind of reminded me of some of the Three Floyds stuff with the hops-heavy finish. I also had a Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown, which I thought was delicious. It was surprisingly easy to drink given its ABV of 9.8%.

Meh, Undercover Shutdown wasn't nearly as good out of the bottle, it had a noticeable bitter carmel after taste.

This thread isn't nearly as fun without Flasox JIm. :crying

• 2 weeks later...

So long overdue, but I wanted to share some reviews from my trip to Europe.

Scotland-

Went on a great 4 day whiskey tour, it started from Edinburgh and went through the Highlands to make our way to the Isle of Islay. We saw 6 of the 8 distilleries on the Isle:

Kilchoman - (the newest one, completely independent). Keep an eye out for their whiskey as it starts to get a chance to age more. While it tasted young, the flavors present were fantastic and can't wait to have it in the future.

Bruichladdich - fantastic and fun revolving styles. They like to produce very different styles but on limited basis, so they are always trying new ones. Their gin, The Botanist, is the best gin I've ever had and I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone who likes gin. G&T and FlaSox, looking at you guys (and hoping Jim is still around, haven't seen him on here lately).

Bowmore - very good, dependable whiskey, their flagship 12 is great but we tried some of their older whiskeys and they were flat out amazing. Best part is we stayed in the old distiller's house right next to the distillery in the town of Bowmore on the Isle. Great place, on a beach, and next to a distillery, I didn't want to leave.

Ardbeg - one of the coolest tours since you could pay for a 5 sample tasting. We tried some very rare bottles (one was a limited release where they used burned bourbon casks and the whiskey just turned out perfect). It was great to be able to try these, you pretty much can only find that one style online and it'll be a pretty penny.

Lagavulin - What can I say, it's the best. The Lagavulin 16 and Lagavulin 16 Distillers edition were served along with their 12 yr (meant to be harsher, wasn't a fan as I prefer the smoothness). While a conservative company, they know what they do well and they are some of the best at it. They also were very generous where they pretty much let the group serve themselves to the 3 bottles.

LaPhroaig - The best tour experience, made it very fun with small gimmicks but were great. If you signed up for their Friends of Laphroaig they gave you a taster bottle of their 10 yr and a 1ft by 1ft parcel of land on the bogs across from the distillery. Gimmicky, but it was a lot of fun (and free for that portion). Their 10 yr is surprisingly smooth for it's age, and the 18 we got to try is phenomenal.

If anyone is ever looking for a fun trip, I highly suggest going to Scotland to do this. There are a few companies that have these tours, we used Rabbies, and it was a great blend of sightseeing, whiskey tasting, and history. They keep the groups somewhat small (van of 15 people + tour guide(s)) and really plan it out well. My brother and I really want to send our parents on the trip when my dad retires.

Some pics from the trip:

10304440_10152099684995168_2838027324687

10294317_10152099677830168_3588355631464

10152500_10152099675585168_5495320219350

984075_10152099680180168_769512272928880

10356342_10152099684800168_8963465495732

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone else tried anything from Pipeworks? I went a bit nuts trying their stuff the last few months. On the plus side, they make some solid beers and do a lot of interesting (or weird depending on your POV) stuff. The downside is I feel like I actually need to read the label on every one of their brews and god knows if you'll ever find the one you like again.