The Finer Things In Life

knightni

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 12:46 AM)
The Imbibe recipes are usually a very good starting point for classic cocktails.

Rumdood's eggnog recipe, usually with Coruba, has been my default eggnog recipe since he posted it a few years ago.http://rumdood.com/2009/12/08/egg-nogg/

Didn't care for the Coruba in Egg Nog. I preferred the black seal and brandy.

It's my furlough day...well it was. I spent a little time drinking. Grabbed a few good things but the Noel des Geants by Brasserie des Geants is excellence. Spicy, peppery, fruity, belgian goodness.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
New Glarus makes a really good sour beer. They are fast becoming one of my favorite microbrews.

Must be nice to actually be able to get NG stuff. Sucks for anyone outside of Wisconsin that actually wants to try it, though. Same deal with Hill Farmstead in Vermont. Plenty of stuff both make, that will never see the light of day outside of their states, and DEFINITELY not down in South Carolina.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Must be nice to actually be able to get NG stuff. Sucks for anyone outside of Wisconsin that actually wants to try it, though. Same deal with Hill Farmstead in Vermont. Plenty of stuff both make, that will never see the light of day outside of their states, and DEFINITELY not down in South Carolina.

I live about 40-45 minutes from Wisconsin, and I'm jealous of one of my college roommates who lives in Madison now and can get it any day he pleases. But at least I'm able to get it occasionally; it would indeed suck to be that far away. Does South Carolina have much in the way of an active craft scene?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
I live about 40-45 minutes from Wisconsin, and I'm jealous of one of my college roommates who lives in Madison now and can get it any day he pleases. But at least I'm able to get it occasionally; it would indeed suck to be that far away. Does South Carolina have much in the way of an active craft scene?

Do you guys get any of the Rogue beers from Oregon over there? By far and away my favorite.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
Do you guys get any of the Rogue beers from Oregon over there? By far and away my favorite.

Not sure about Minneapolis, but we did back when I lived in Bloomington, IN. My roommate always drank Dead Guy Ale (I think that was the name of it?), but I never had any. I'll check next time I'm at the liquor store. In case they have some, any recommendations on what to get?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)

My area is pretty active for craft beer actually. I'm surrounded by Thomas Creek, Highland, Sweetwater, Terrapin (my personal fav atm), COAST, and RJ Rockers. Over on Beer Advocate forums, so far Terrapin stuff has been the one thing I can offer up and people are interested in.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
Not sure about Minneapolis, but we did back when I lived in Bloomington, IN. My roommate always drank Dead Guy Ale (I think that was the name of it?), but I never had any. I'll check next time I'm at the liquor store. In case they have some, any recommendations on what to get?

Well, I am a big fan of dark beers...either stouts or brown ales...so Guiness, Newcastle, etc. Anyways, they make a Hazelnut Brown Ale that is marvelous. Has been my favorite beer for about 15 months or so now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
Well, I am a big fan of dark beers...either stouts or brown ales...so Guiness, Newcastle, etc. Anyways, they make a Hazelnut Brown Ale that is marvelous. Has been my favorite beer for about 15 months or so now.

Haha, we're at the opposite ends of the spectrum then. In fact, last night I was just telling the roommate I mentioned in the previous post that I just don't like Brown Ales.

I'm in the wheat beers, pilseners, pale ales, and IPAs side of things. Stouts, brown ales and porters are just not appealing to me.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Haha, we're at the opposite ends of the spectrum then. In fact, last night I was just telling the roommate I mentioned in the previous post that I just don't like Brown Ales.

I'm in the wheat beers, pilseners, pale ales, and IPAs side of things. Stouts, brown ales and porters are just not appealing to me.

I only recently got into stouts after having The Poet Oatmeal Stout at New Holland Brewery. A good chocolate stout at ~50 degrees is always good, too, but I can do without porters and brown ales.

I love IPA's but I tend to get terrible headaches with only one or two :(

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)

Have you ever had anything from Samuel Smith?

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)

I will never forget my trip to Hill Farmstead and Alchemist. I recommend that everyone take a trip to Vermont. Awesome state.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)

I pick it up at Mars Cheese Castle on my way up 94. I go back to Marquette occasionally and go golfing and to the Osh Kosh air show every year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Have you ever had anything from Samuel Smith?

Yeah. I had their Nut Brown Ale, which I didn't like because I don't like brown ales. I've also had their...organic something, can't remember what it was. My dad drinks it, so when I was back home once I tried it. It was pretty good.

I know that people outside WI only think of New Glarus but Central Waters is also a solid brewery (among many others). Right now I'm drinking a CW Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout and it is fantastic.

The vanilla and hint of cherry rounds the roasted coffee really well. Just a nice touch of malted milk. Careful at 9.5%.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
I know that people outside WI only think of New Glarus but Central Waters is also a solid brewery (among many others). Right now I'm drinking a CW Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout and it is fantastic.

The vanilla and hint of cherry rounds the roasted coffee really well. Just a nice touch of malted milk. Careful at 9.5%.

i like Sprecher as well. I was there when they opened in 1985. They treated the college kids really well knowing we would grow up and continue to drink the product.

I'm not familiar with Central Waters but i'm willing to learn. I don't usually make it that far north but everything from the website looks good.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
i like Sprecher as well. I was there when they opened in 1985. They treated the college kids really well knowing we would grow up and continue to drink the product.

I'm not familiar with Central Waters but i'm willing to learn. I don't usually make it that far north but everything from the website looks good.

Sprecher's Tripel is surprisingly good, especially for the price. Lakefront is a solid brewery as well. Closer to Madison we have Vintage (which ranges from decent to outstanding) and O'so and Tyranena (both in the solid category).

The beer that's easiest micro to get around here is from Ale Asylum. Unfortunately, they are a consistent disappointment aside from their belgian IPA, which is awesome.