The Finer Things In Life

knightni

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
Yep, out of my league. This calls for Flaxx.

My advice is to concentrate on getting him something good and not just something he hasn't had. If someone gives me a bottle of something I know and love I'm a lot happier than when I get something I haven't had that ends up being not so good.

I humbly suggest one of my dream Christmas bottles, Sazerac 18 Year Rye Whisky. I have not yet had the pleasure but it is universally well regarded and I'm hoping I find a bottle of it under the tree this year.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
My advice is to concentrate on getting him something good and not just something he hasn't had. If someone gives me a bottle of something I know and love I'm a lot happier than when I get something I haven't had that ends up being not so good.

I humbly suggest one of my dream Christmas bottles, Sazerac 18 Year Rye Whisky. I have not yet had the pleasure but it is universally well regarded and I'm hoping I find a bottle of it under the tree this year.

Yea suggestions like these are great too!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
Very Adventurous! Let me know how it comes out.

I have been cheating and using a Soda Stream to carbonate quick-made ginger beer using a Jamaican ginger beer syrup, but I am hoping to try the Audrey Saunders recipe that Jim Meehan published in the awesome PDT cocktail book. PDT doesn't carbonate their housemade ginger beer but I will definitely give mine some carbonation.

Well I just had to google the ginger beer syrup and saw this. I don't know if that's what you are talking about but now I feel like I must have it!

Part of my Christmas gifts to my in-laws will be some good syrups because they love the tiki I've introduced them to. So I will make a bunch of passion fruit, and maybe orgeat. I don't know if they like ginger but the syrup might be a simple idea.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
Well I just had to google the ginger beer syrup and saw this. I don't know if that's what you are talking about but now I feel like I must have it!

Part of my Christmas gifts to my in-laws will be some good syrups because they love the tiki I've introduced them to. So I will make a bunch of passion fruit, and maybe orgeat. I don't know if they like ginger but the syrup might be a simple idea.

Yeah, a fresh ginger syrup like that is great to have on hand and I use it in all sorts of things when I've made a batch. It does lose it's big spiciness fairly quickly so I make small batches.

The ginger beer syrup I have made ginger beer with is a commercial product from Jamaica has some more spices going on besides the ginger root. I can't remember the name of the stuff right now but I found it accidentally when I was looking browsing at an East Indies grocers. I use it straight as a cocktail ingredient in rum punches a lot.

Sam Adams has a new (I think) beer:

"Samuel Adams Wee Heavy was inspired by both traditional Scotch ales and Scotch whiskies, for a combination of deep roasted flavor and earthy smoke character. Traditional Scottish ales vary in intensity with the strong ales known as Scotch Ale or “Wee Heavy”. To create our own version of the style we added peat smoked malt to bring the unique flavor of Scotland to this complex and satisfying brew. "

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Sam Adams has a new (I think) beer:

"Samuel Adams Wee Heavy was inspired by both traditional Scotch ales and Scotch whiskies, for a combination of deep roasted flavor and earthy smoke character. Traditional Scottish ales vary in intensity with the strong ales known as Scotch Ale or “Wee Heavy”. To create our own version of the style we added peat smoked malt to bring the unique flavor of Scotland to this complex and satisfying brew. "

They actually have a pile of new beers this season. All of their Barrel rooms are now available, plus they have a some other series that I haven't tried yet. The wee heavy was quite good as I recall and I love me some scotch ale.

If you find the barrel room stuff, like the New World Tripel, grab it. That's good drinking.

The commercial ginger beer syrup I have is a brand called "Sir Henry of Morgan's Valley" — a reference to this famous buccaneer who is a big part of Jamaican pirate history.

On a separate note, I'm tending bar for the preprandial hour or so of a benefit dinner for a local ocean conservation group this Sunday. New Orleans gumbo and crawfish etouffee are the main dinner courses so I am going with a short specialty cocktail menu that highlights classic New Orleans and southern drinks. Old Fashioneds (w/choice of rye, whiskey, brandy, or rum as the base spirit) and Vieux Carre' cocktails (brandy, rye, sweet vermouth, Benidictine, Ango and Peychauds are on the burly side of the bar, and Grasshoppers and Brandy Alexanders are on the softer side. If I can get some good looking fresh mint then juleps will be on offer as well.

The trick for this event will be to stick to the short menu hat was agreed on and not to mix up anything and everything asked for. Should be fun.

I think I figured out my fermentation problem. It wasn't warm enough. It's been cold and most of the day we leave the temp at about 67 degrees. That the low end of yeast's workable temperature. I suspect that's the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes...page 3

Anyway, I brought back a haul from Chicago. Tons of Founders, only 1 3 Floyds but that's cool. Some Spotted Cow. Most importantly...CORUBA!!!!

I have already put the bottle to work on a hurricane and sidewinder. Truly the most versatile dark rum and the cheapest. I bought 1 bottle, and got another as a gift. We will see how long it lasts.

Meanwhile my wife demanded an elliptical which I bought. I guess that's a smarter purchase than beer but whatever.

Decided not to buy my brother liquor since apparently he now has over 200 bottles of various rums, whiskeys, tequilas, etc. As much as he would have appreciated another one, I went with a gift with some practical applications for him.

I was at a bar a few nights ago and me and two friends split a few pitchers of Three Floyds Gumball Head, great stuff, hadn't had it in a about a year.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)
Decided not to buy my brother liquor since apparently he now has over 200 bottles of various rums, whiskeys, tequilas, etc. As much as he would have appreciated another one, I went with a gift with some practical applications for him.

I was at a bar a few nights ago and me and two friends split a few pitchers of Three Floyds Gumball Head, great stuff, hadn't had it in a about a year.

Never had it. I remember when it used to just be sitting at Binnys and I passed it by for something else. Now it's a miracle that a store even gets a delivery from that brewery. Color me jealous.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
Yikes...page 3

Anyway, I brought back a haul from Chicago. Tons of Founders, only 1 3 Floyds but that's cool. Some Spotted Cow. Most importantly...CORUBA!!!!

I have already put the bottle to work on a hurricane and sidewinder. Truly the most versatile dark rum and the cheapest. I bought 1 bottle, and got another as a gift. We will see how long it lasts.

Meanwhile my wife demanded an elliptical which I bought. I guess that's a smarter purchase than beer but whatever.

You will love the Coruba in everything you put it in. May you never have to settle for Meyer's again.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (SnB @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Got a bottle of Hendrick's gin for xmas. That's some smooth stuff. What's the point of the cucumber thing though? I assume a lime would be too overpowering?

I think the cucumber is the point for Hendrick's, but I agree with you that it is not necessarily the goto gin for a G&T. Try it in a martini with a premium dry vermouth and a dash of orange bitters though and you will probably really enjoy it.

I went on the cheap the last time I was needing to restock the Hendrick's and went with Martin Millier. Decent stuff but not nearly as complex and well balanced as Hendrick's.

My Christmas booze haul this year has me thrilled, having scored bottles of:

Appleton 21 (!!!)

Mount Gay Extra Old

Barbancourt 15

Ardbeg 10 Islay Scotch

yumm!!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
I think the cucumber is the point for Hendrick's, but I agree with you that it is not necessarily the goto gin for a G&T. Try it in a martini with a premium dry vermouth and a dash of orange bitters though and you will probably really enjoy it.

I went on the cheap the last time I was needing to restock the Hendrick's and went with Martin Millier. Decent stuff but not nearly as complex and well balanced as Hendrick's.

My Christmas booze haul this year has me thrilled, having scored bottles of:

Appleton 21 (!!!)

Mount Gay Extra Old

Barbancourt 15

Ardbeg 10 Islay Scotch

yumm!!

No. f***ing. Way.

REVIEW!!!!! (I really just enjoy reading a Flax review)

• 4 weeks later...

I took a total timeout from drinking this past week in the interest of dieting and losing a bit of weight. I am happy enough that I have lost close to 15 lbs. in just two weeks (lots of walking and stationary bike time too), but I think I need to dial a little booze back into the plan for the coming week.

In particular, I have been absolutely loving Corralejo Reposado tequila, which at less than $30 has got to be one of the best tequila buys out there. It will probably replace Cazadores as the all-purpose home reposed. Cazadores mixes really well but the Corralejo mixes and sips wonderfully. And since I'm looking at a few more weeks of dieting I am doing more straight sipping than cocktailing of late.

I also ran into an 8 year El Dorado Demerara rum that I have never encountered before. really good, Rich, deep, sweet Demerara complexity makes it more sip able than ED5 but not nearly as complex as ED12 or ED15. When I get back to rum punches and cocktails, this may well replace ED5 as the go-to mixing Demerara.

So, what is everybody else drinking while I am not?

For the last month it has been all beer. I've had my Christmas haul and there's still plenty left. Founders' porter is amazing. Rich chocolate and graham cracker sweetness. if you haven't had it, get it if you can.

Last night I got back into some tiki with a QB cooler after I finally restocked my ED12 (can't believe it's only $23 here). But I'm thinking of dipping toe into bourbon. There are some drinks I'm looking to try in the Grog Log and just haven't bothered with yet. Suggestions? I love rye beers so I'm hoping that leads my into bourbon somehow.

Next weekend I will be in Burlington and I'm hoping to head to Hill Farmstead brewery. Supposed to be amazing.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
For the last month it has been all beer. I've had my Christmas haul and there's still plenty left. Founders' porter is amazing. Rich chocolate and graham cracker sweetness. if you haven't had it, get it if you can.

Last night I got back into some tiki with a QB cooler after I finally restocked my ED12 (can't believe it's only $23 here). But I'm thinking of dipping toe into bourbon. There are some drinks I'm looking to try in the Grog Log and just haven't bothered with yet. Suggestions? I love rye beers so I'm hoping that leads my into bourbon somehow.

Next weekend I will be in Burlington and I'm hoping to head to Hill Farmstead brewery. Supposed to be amazing.

I have not had Founder's Porter, and unfortunately Founder's southern distribution ends at the Georgia-Florida border.

Have you mixed along with Tiare and her sporadic "Mixing Through the Grog Log" blog endeavor? She's still only 20 or so drinks in, but I quite enjoy whipping up each entry she posts and also taking a stab at her remixed variations when I have suitable or substitutable ingredients to do so. As you head through her entries, the comments by Sunny&Rummy are me (which is probably easy to guess by reading them).

Many of my Grog Log faves might already be some of yours as well. Off the top of my head, the Ancient Mariner, Boo Loo, Noa Noa, Rum Barrel, Coconaut are all among my long-time favorites.

eta: The two American Whiskeys I have been nipping at are Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon and Russel's Reserve 6 Year Rye. The Four Roses is really nice, you can sip it neat all night and be perfectly content. The 90 proof Russel's Reserve has a bit of burn and bite to it compared to some of the other ryes I have become fond of (even other high proofs like Bulleit), but once you acclimate to that it is really outstanding.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
I have not had Founder's Porter, and unfortunately Founder's southern distribution ends at the Georgia-Florida border.

Have you mixed along with Tiare and her sporadic "Mixing Through the Grog Log" blog endeavor? She's still only 20 or so drinks in, but I quite enjoy whipping up each entry she posts and also taking a stab at her remixed variations when I have suitable or substitutable ingredients to do so. As you head through her entries, the comments by Sunny&Rummy are me (which is probably easy to guess by reading them).

Many of my Grog Log faves might already be some of yours as well. Off the top of my head, the Ancient Mariner, Boo Loo, Noa Noa, Rum Barrel, Coconaut are all among my long-time favorites.

eta: The two American Whiskeys I have been nipping at are Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon and Russel's Reserve 6 Year Rye. The Four Roses is really nice, you can sip it neat all night and be perfectly content. The 90 proof Russel's Reserve has a bit of burn and bite to it compared to some of the other ryes I have become fond of (even other high proofs like Bulleit), but once you acclimate to that it is really outstanding.

You spell that name right, dammit!

bottle-russelsreserve-rye_6.jpg

A name that good deserves it :P

And that stuff is delish, I bought it just for the name and it turned out to be really good stuff.