The Finer Things In Life

knightni

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
That is about a perfect cocktail. And true to the historic definition of a cocktail = spirits, sugar, water, and bitters.

Peychaud's Brandy cocktail (brandy and Paychaud bitters) probably predates the Sazarac ans the Old Fashioned Brandy Cocktail, but it has none of the perfection of either of the others.

What is the proof of the Templeton and what is the rye content? One I would lime to try.

Templeton is over 90% rye grain, and the remainder is malted barley...so it's rye content is unexpectedly high.

It's 80 proof.

http://www.templetonrye.com/production/

Edited by Y2HH

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
Templeton is over 90% rye grain, and the remainder is malted barley...so it's rye content is unexpectedly high.

It's 80 proof.

http://www.templetonrye.com/production/

Thanks. I have been doing Old Fashioneds with Bulleit rye lately which is also way up at 95% rye content but only an 80 proof spirit. I thought I had a line on some 100 proof Rittenhouse Bonded but it fell through.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
Thanks. I have been doing Old Fashioneds with Bulleit rye lately which is also way up at 95% rye content but only an 80 proof spirit. I thought I had a line on some 100 proof Rittenhouse Bonded but it fell through.

I actually prefer the 80's over the 100's -- those just taste too strong to me.

That said, I'm a Kentucky Straight Bourbon drinker, I'm pretty new to the Rye's, so I have no experience with the 100 ryes. One of my favorites (I have some) is Woodford Reserve. My absolute favorite, however, is Pappy Van Winkle's family reserve -- 23 year -- this one happens to be a 95 proof.

Not a fan of Scotch, though.

Edited by Y2HH

• 2 weeks later...

Went and filled my growler at the local establishment today. Small brew pub with exceptional beers called Browns. I think I've mentioned them before. If anyone actually knew when they were releasing their seasonals, they would have a great following. Their rauch is the best American rauch I've had and their oatmeal stout is the best I've ever tasted (though sometimes inconsistent). The dunkelweizen was calling and I'm gonna guess I drink this whole growler.

Aroma is a bit lacking where but it has a nice thick mouth feel with banana and caramel notes. Lacks a bit of effervescence, but that is almost certainly due to the growler.

Why is it that beer just seems better when it was made down the street?

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Went and filled my growler at the local establishment today. Small brew pub with exceptional beers called Browns. I think I've mentioned them before. If anyone actually knew when they were releasing their seasonals, they would have a great following. Their rauch is the best American rauch I've had and their oatmeal stout is the best I've ever tasted (though sometimes inconsistent). The dunkelweizen was calling and I'm gonna guess I drink this whole growler.

Aroma is a bit lacking where but it has a nice thick mouth feel with banana and caramel notes. Lacks a bit of effervescence, but that is almost certainly due to the growler.

Why is it that beer just seems better when it was made down the street?

That is a great feeling. Unfortunately local pride only goes so far. Our local micro continues to do a bang-up job and produces consistently quality stuff. But our local brewpub — a former GABF medalist — has gone into the crapper over the last few years. The stuff they are churning out now is undrinkable and I'm sure it is only a matter of time before they give it up. Very sad, because a couple of brewmasters ago they used to hit it out of the park with several of their offerings.

My big dilemma coming up in a couple of weeks. . . I have been waiting for a 24-tap Dogfish Head beer event occurring December 1st at one of the three really good local beer bars. And now I have learned that my daughter's holiday band concert and spaghetti dinner fundraiser is the same night! Oh, the Humanity!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
That is a great feeling. Unfortunately local pride only goes so far. Our local micro continues to do a bang-up job and produces consistently quality stuff. But our local brewpub — a former GABF medalist — has gone into the crapper over the last few years. The stuff they are churning out now is undrinkable and I'm sure it is only a matter of time before they give it up. Very sad, because a couple of brewmasters ago they used to hit it out of the park with several of their offerings.

My big dilemma coming up in a couple of weeks. . . I have been waiting for a 24-tap Dogfish Head beer event occurring December 1st at one of the three really good local beer bars. And now I have learned that my daughter's holiday band concert and spaghetti dinner fundraiser is the same night! Oh, the Humanity!

I was actually offered one of the last 2 bottles of the Pearl Jam tribute Faithful that my local shop had. I turned it down. I think it's like $17 for a Belgian golden ale. Sorry Dogfish Head, I won't pay that price for a style that has been masterfully done for far less mone by so many breweries.

Dogfish Head has some really good stuff but their prices are ridiculous and most of their "extreme" beers suck. My point is, I wouldn't feel bad about going to that concert which I am certian you will be attending if you don't want your wife to kill you.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
I was actually offered one of the last 2 bottles of the Pearl Jam tribute Faithful that my local shop had. I turned it down. I think it's like $17 for a Belgian golden ale. Sorry Dogfish Head, I won't pay that price for a style that has been masterfully done for far less mone by so many breweries.

Dogfish Head has some really good stuff but their prices are ridiculous and most of their "extreme" beers suck. My point is, I wouldn't feel bad about going to that concert which I am certian you will be attending if you don't want your wife to kill you.

No question the concert will take precedence. But I love the draft Dogfish Burton Baton and it seems that the multi-tap special brewery night events are the only way I ever get it.

Fair enough. If there is one thing from them I love it's the Indian Brown.

In other news. I cracked a Lagunitas Our Own Bavarian-Style DoppelWeizen. Damn good for $5 a bomber. A bit sticky on the pallate but a real nice banana, apple and pear aroma. Syrupy caramel flavor that lacks any real depth. But the 9% abv is hidden (a stat I had forgotten before cracking on a Monday) and for the price it works well.

Lagunitas, along with Southern Tier, are two breweries I just somehow overlooked for the past few years. I am happily rectifying that situation

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
Fair enough. If there is one thing from them I love it's the Indian Brown.

In other news. I cracked a Lagunitas Our Own Bavarian-Style DoppelWeizen. Damn good for $5 a bomber. A bit sticky on the pallate but a real nice banana, apple and pear aroma. Syrupy caramel flavor that lacks any real depth. But the 9% abv is hidden (a stat I had forgotten before cracking on a Monday) and for the price it works well.

Lagunitas, along with Southern Tier, are two breweries I just somehow overlooked for the past few years. I am happily rectifying that situation

I've yet to be disappointed in any beer from those two breweries great stuff.

Well Thanksgiving is tomorrow so I have to do some shopping. What's everyone planning for tomorrow? Mixing up a batch of hot buttered rum? Breaking out some good saisons (a great idea for the variety of foods on the table)?

I'm thinking a bottle of Saison Dupont avec les bons voeux for dinner. Maybe whipping up a good eggnog recipe for later.

I also highly recommend the above mentioned saison dupont for anyone thinking of bringing an interesting beer to a party. Even the snobbiest of beer snobs (and probably some wine snobs) will be proud and it should be easy to come by at a decent beer store. It is also universally liked by those who aren't beer geeks. Oh, and it will go nicely with dinner, dessert, appetizers, or on its own. Yeah...I'm getting that.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
Well Thanksgiving is tomorrow so I have to do some shopping. What's everyone planning for tomorrow? Mixing up a batch of hot buttered rum? Breaking out some good saisons (a great idea for the variety of foods on the table)?

I'm thinking a bottle of Saison Dupont avec les bons voeux for dinner. Maybe whipping up a good eggnog recipe for later.

I also highly recommend the above mentioned saison dupont for anyone thinking of bringing an interesting beer to a party. Even the snobbiest of beer snobs (and probably some wine snobs) will be proud and it should be easy to come by at a decent beer store. It is also universally liked by those who aren't beer geeks. Oh, and it will go nicely with dinner, dessert, appetizers, or on its own. Yeah...I'm getting that.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
Saison Dupont is one of my all time favorites for sure.

Heading out camping for T-Day but it's not cold enough for hot bittered rum. Going with a nice selection of beer and cider and a few bottles of Bouj Neuveaux with our campfire turkey.

Saison Dupont is from my favorite Belgium brewery, Dupont Brasserie. The Avec Les Bons Voeux was my first beer of theirs, had it at Delirium Cafe in Brussels, and I have been hooked since. My favorite of theirs though is their Moinette Blonde, my brother's is their Moinette Brune. If you can find the 750ml bottles they run about $9 apiece, which I splurge on occasionally. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
Goose Island's Mild Winter has always been one of my favorites. I bought a sixer of it this week and it just doesn't taste the same this year. Am I alone on this?

The stuff that made it out here last year was awful. I don't know if it was damaged in transit or if the beer sucks but I couldn't drink it. I assumed it was a transit problem.

• 3 weeks later...

So on Tuesday I gave a shot at my first ginger beer following Morgenthaler's recipe. Grating and juicing the ginger was a total pain in the ass. I was hoping for about 2 oz of juice from a whole root but got about 1.5 oz. So 1oz went to the beer, mixed with lemon and simple syrup in my shiny new swing top bottle. I used whatever Red Star wine yeast my homebrew supply store had (I'm not sure it makes a huge difference given the short fermentation time). The recipe called for 25 granules of yeast which is a pain in the ass to count. I know I went over but the bottle didn't explode.

My 16 oz bottle is now chilling in the fridge following 48 hours of fermenting. I'm a bit nervous that it didn't ferment but it certainly looks like something happened to the yeast. There is a lot of sediment and it sorta looks like a bottle conditioned beer. I'll be grabbing some Goslings on the way home to try out a dark and stormy. Even if not particularly carbonated I hope it tastes good. I'm sure I can get some use out of it one way or another.

I already have plans to mix some more this weekend. Perhaps adding vanilla. I also forgot to add cream of tartar to this batch. Well, I actually remembered to add it after putting in the yeast but at that point I was afraid of killing the yeast or something so I just skipped it. I'll be better prepared next time.

What did I do with the other .5 of ginger juice? I mixed it with 1 oz of lime juice, 1.5 simple, and pineapple juice to taste. That came out exceptionally well. Depending on the amount of pineapple, this can be very hot to just a taste of ginger. I added too much pineapple for me, but it left just enough ginger to know it was there. But the end of it, the heat was sitting on my tongue. It's a drink I'm kinda craving right now...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
What kind of tastes does he have?

He brews his own beer and goes to national conventions annually on brewing.

He is a HUGE whiskey fan, he has over 10 bottles of high end whiskeys at his house, ranging from bourbons to rye whiskeys.

He loves gin martinis, rums, and high end tequila.

Pretty much he's an alcohol snob :lolhitting

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
He brews his own beer and goes to national conventions annually on brewing.

He is a HUGE whiskey fan, he has over 10 bottles of high end whiskeys at his house, ranging from bourbons to rye whiskeys.

He loves gin martinis, rums, and high end tequila.

Pretty much he's an alcohol snob :lolhitting

Yep, out of my league. This calls for Flaxx.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
So on Tuesday I gave a shot at my first ginger beer following Morgenthaler's recipe. Grating and juicing the ginger was a total pain in the ass. I was hoping for about 2 oz of juice from a whole root but got about 1.5 oz. So 1oz went to the beer, mixed with lemon and simple syrup in my shiny new swing top bottle. I used whatever Red Star wine yeast my homebrew supply store had (I'm not sure it makes a huge difference given the short fermentation time). The recipe called for 25 granules of yeast which is a pain in the ass to count. I know I went over but the bottle didn't explode.

My 16 oz bottle is now chilling in the fridge following 48 hours of fermenting. I'm a bit nervous that it didn't ferment but it certainly looks like something happened to the yeast. There is a lot of sediment and it sorta looks like a bottle conditioned beer. I'll be grabbing some Goslings on the way home to try out a dark and stormy. Even if not particularly carbonated I hope it tastes good. I'm sure I can get some use out of it one way or another.

I already have plans to mix some more this weekend. Perhaps adding vanilla. I also forgot to add cream of tartar to this batch. Well, I actually remembered to add it after putting in the yeast but at that point I was afraid of killing the yeast or something so I just skipped it. I'll be better prepared next time.

What did I do with the other .5 of ginger juice? I mixed it with 1 oz of lime juice, 1.5 simple, and pineapple juice to taste. That came out exceptionally well. Depending on the amount of pineapple, this can be very hot to just a taste of ginger. I added too much pineapple for me, but it left just enough ginger to know it was there. But the end of it, the heat was sitting on my tongue. It's a drink I'm kinda craving right now...

Very Adventurous! Let me know how it comes out.

I have been cheating and using a Soda Stream to carbonate quick-made ginger beer using a Jamaican ginger beer syrup, but I am hoping to try the Audrey Saunders recipe that Jim Meehan published in the awesome PDT cocktail book. PDT doesn't carbonate their housemade ginger beer but I will definitely give mine some carbonation.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
I want to buy my brother something unique in the drinking world for christmas but I really don't think there isn't anything he has tried or owns :P .

Any suggestions?

Do you both live in the Chicago area or are you in different places?