The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sam Adams Winter Variety pack is a winner this year. They replaced the White Ale with a coffee stout.

2 each of:

Old Fezziwig

Holiday Porter

Winter Lager

Black and Brew

Chocolate Bock

Boston Lager

My only complaint is that this pack is the only way to get most of these beers. Now if it would just snow, it would feel perfect.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)
Sam Adams Winter Variety pack is a winner this year. They replaced the White Ale with a coffee stout.

2 each of:

Old Fezziwig

Holiday Porter

Winter Lager

Black and Brew

Chocolate Bock

Boston Lager

My only complaint is that this pack is the only way to get most of these beers. Now if it would just snow, it would feel perfect.

I agree, having to get the sampler just to get Old Fezziwig etc. is a shame. Now that they have gotten rid of that gawdawful wretched cranberry lambic though, this doesn't look like a bad selection.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
I have been making my way through the Southern Tier collection. Slowly but surely. I guess the fall (and now early winter) have gotten me off cocktails for little while.

In any event, Southern Tier has proven itself worthy of the accolades. A couple must tries are Mokah and Hop Sun (summer seasonal). Mokah smells like chocolate ice cream and the flavor nails it. Truly an impressive brew, and a dessert in a bottle.

I also recommend Phin and Matt's Ale which is a nice entry level brew for those uninitiated and others just looking for something simple. I have a bottle of Oat sitting the fridge waiting to be drunk.

Their raspberry wheat wasn't too bad either. The only real loser, for me, was Pumking which is considered the best pumpkin ale in the world. The one I had was terrible. Tasted like ginger bread and not in a good way. But obviously I'm alone there.

I have plenty more to try from them. Unfortunately, they sell almost everything in bombers so I can't mix up a sixer and take a tour.

Oh and if you haven't tried Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin I recommend you remedy that situation. It's a wheat IPA (or some oddly made up style) but it is essentially a wonderfully malty pale. Plenty of hops for the hop head but a great brown sugar backbone that makes it a pleasing sipper for everyone. Of course, I practically slammed it.

The Unearthly and Iniquity IPA's are about the only Southern Tier beers that regularly make it down here. I like them both very much. I also had a bottle of their 2009 Cuvée Series Three that I just drank a few months ago and it was phenomenal.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 29, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
I don't know about chipotle in a beer...but I do love smoke!

I just bought some Lapsang Souchong tea that is incredibly smokey from the pine wood they smoke the leaves with. I made up a Lapsang simple syrup last night and it is going to go here and here and here tonight.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)

2 each of:

Old Fezziwig

Holiday Porter

Winter Lager

Black and Brew

Chocolate Bock

Boston Lager

Yeah, snow...if only :P

I'm interested in the coffee stout.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
Yeah, snow...if only :P

I'm interested in the coffee stout.

I liked the coffee stout, they call it Black and Brew. I think Sam Adams tend to try to make their beers appeal to the masses a bit more than smaller craft breweries. If you are used to a stronger coffee stout like Founders, you may find this quite a bit weak.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
I liked the coffee stout, they call it Black and Brew. I think Sam Adams tend to try to make their beers appeal to the masses a bit more than smaller craft breweries. If you are used to a stronger coffee stout like Founders, you may find this quite a bit weak.

Weaker, yes, but also incredibly consistent and good. Plus, their rauch this fall was solid so I'm excited to try something new from them. I think they've been stepping up their game with all the competition.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Weaker, yes, but also incredibly consistent and good. Plus, their rauch this fall was solid so I'm excited to try something new from them. I think they've been stepping up their game with all the competition.

I also think the newer demand for more "microbrew" style beers with a brand name you know is increasing heavily for them. You know that you will almost always get a decent brew out of them and the variety packs give a gret mix for a decent price (compared to most microbrews). Though they will have an occasional epic fail.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)

I didn't mean weaker as in quality, I meant the coffee taste is not overpowering. I really enjoyed the 2 I got, I wish I could buy it by itself.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
I didn't mean weaker as in quality, I meant the coffee taste is not overpowering. I really enjoyed the 2 I got, I wish I could buy it by itself.

I know what you meant.

Some of their stuff is available in sixers, like the cream stout, at beer stores. But, of course, the best stuff isn't.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)

The Coffee stout had some excellent flavor to it, that one i really enjoyed. Trying the old fezziwig right now and I'm just not hugely impressed by it, not getting much of the added flavors in this one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
The Coffee stout had some excellent flavor to it, that one i really enjoyed. Trying the old fezziwig right now and I'm just not hugely impressed by it, not getting much of the added flavors in this one.

Whoa, Chief.

Actually, I wonder if I would like Old Fezziwig as much if it wasn't one of the first good beers I'd ever had.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Made a splurge purchase of Ransom Old Tom gin. I hadn't seen an old Tom here before so I grabbed it. Now, what to do with it...

I am very jealous, great find. I get Haymans here which might be the more accurate Old Tom interpretation of an Old Tom, but I hear nothing but great things about Ransom. It is going to be spicier than Haymans and it is pot stilled so it will have more depth and heaviness so keep that in mind when adjusti g mixing ratios.

As for where to use it, basically any gin cocktail prior to 1900 was much more likely made with an Old Tom or with Plymouth than with the then newer and less popular London Dry style of gin. So reach for the OldmTom for the vintage gin cocktails. With the body and spice of Ransom you can probably substitute that for anything calling for genever as well. It may not have quite the malt backbone of a true genever but it should make very tasty cocktails as a genever sub.

My go to favorite Haymans OT cocktqil is a Martinez with these ratios. Give it a spin with Ransom and tell me what you think.

- 1.75 oz old tom gin

- 1.25 oz sweet vermouth

- 2 tsp maraschino liqueur

- 2 dashes Ango

Stir/strian/up

Still one of my favorite classic cocktails.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
Whoa, Chief.

Actually, I wonder if I would like Old Fezziwig as much if it wasn't one of the first good beers I'd ever had.

I wonder the same thing. I'll have to get this year's holiday sampler because 15-20 years ago it was hard to beat Old Fezziwig as a Christmas ale.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
I'm not saying it was bad or anything, it just wasn't incredible.

I'm just playing. Old Fezziwig is sort of the untouchable of the Sam Adams lineup. It might well suck, but at this point, beer nerds will love it regardless.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
I am very jealous, great find. I get Haymans here which might be the more accurate Old Tom interpretation of an Old Tom, but I hear nothing but great things about Ransom. It is going to be spicier than Haymans and it is pot stilled so it will have more depth and heaviness so keep that in mind when adjusti g mixing ratios.

As for where to use it, basically any gin cocktail prior to 1900 was much more likely made with an Old Tom or with Plymouth than with the then newer and less popular London Dry style of gin. So reach for the OldmTom for the vintage gin cocktails. With the body and spice of Ransom you can probably substitute that for anything calling for genever as well. It may not have quite the malt backbone of a true genever but it should make very tasty cocktails as a genever sub.

My go to favorite Haymans OT cocktqil is a Martinez with these ratios. Give it a spin with Ransom and tell me what you think.

- 1.75 oz old tom gin

- 1.25 oz sweet vermouth

- 2 tsp maraschino liqueur

- 2 dashes Ango

Stir/strian/up

Still one of my favorite classic cocktails.

Thanks! Need some maraschino liqueur...

Meanwhile, the Ransom is nothing quite like anything else I've had. First, it is very spicy and juniper forward. Like gin on steroids but with a citrus tang that makes this a tough match in cocktails just because I feel like any additions get in the way. I tried a Free Silver yesterday, but it came off tasting like an adulterated version of Ransom. The best thing so far was a simple mix of lemon and club soda. Quite refreshing.

None of this is to say the gin is bad. In fact, it is amazing but unique.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
That Free Silver is a crazy looking cocktail. Citrus and milk, gin and rum?! Really an odd one.

This Old Tom cocktail looks interesting and calls specifically for Ransom. There are about 10 Old Tom drinks on Kindred Cocktails you can take a look at.

Yeah I grabbed it because I had everything on hand. The Tommy Appleseed is definitely up my alley.

I've been enjoying Old Fashioned's as of late -- made with Templeton Rye whiskey.

1 sugar cube

Few dashes of bitters on the sugar cube

A very little bit of water or club soda on the sugar cube

Muddle the sugar/bitters/water, or club soda

Add a nice swath of orange peel (try to mash it/smash it/twist it without ripping it, get the oils in the skin to come out -- or you can muddle it a bit with the sugar)

1-2 shots of Templeton Rye (or any kind of bourbon, doesn't have to be rye)

Add ice cubes

Mix

Garnish with slice of orange and a Maraschino cherry

According to many drink historians, it's the definitive (and first) American cocktail ever created.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I've been enjoying Old Fashioned's as of late -- made with Templeton Rye whiskey.

1 sugar cube

Few dashes of bitters on the sugar cube

A very little bit of water or club soda on the sugar cube

Muddle the sugar/bitters/water, or club soda

Add a nice swath of orange peel (try to mash it/smash it/twist it without ripping it, get the oils in the skin to come out -- or you can muddle it a bit with the sugar)

1-2 shots of Templeton Rye (or any kind of bourbon, doesn't have to be rye)

Add ice cubes

Mix

Garnish with slice of orange and a Maraschino cherry

According to many drink historians, it's the definitive (and first) American cocktail ever created.

That is about a perfect cocktail. And true to the historic definition of a cocktail = spirits, sugar, water, and bitters.

Peychaud's Brandy cocktail (brandy and Paychaud bitters) probably predates the Sazarac ans the Old Fashioned Brandy Cocktail, but it has none of the perfection of either of the others.

What is the proof of the Templeton and what is the rye content? One I would lime to try.