Koch thinks he will regain closer job

aboz56

I don't know how to use the quote thing, but somebody said that they didn't think that Manuel trusts Koch since he lost the game on Opening Day. How do you figure? Buehrle started, and the Royals shut us out. How did Koch lose that game?

He probably means the third game of the season where we were up 6-5 in the eighth. Koch came in with a few on and gave up a few hits, Brent Mayne had a three run homer too. 12-6 was the final.

I remember that game because after it was over I was so pissed off I ran outside and sprinted about a mile around campus in 40 degree rain til I thought my lungs were gonna explode. Made me forget about the game though.

I won't rehash what I've said in EVERY Koch thread on here, but if Koch gets it all figured out, he should be the closer, thats what he was brought here to do. Gordon knew we already had a closer when he signed, and as for his feelings getting hurt and getting mad at Manuel if he loses his closer job.....you are kidding right? Boo hoo for him then, these guys are here to do a job, and right now Gordon is doing his, Koch isn't...so thats why we have people pitching in the current roles. Koch was hitting 95 last night, I have no reason to think that with more arm rest, he can hit his old 98-99 again.

I won't rehash what I've said in EVERY Koch thread on here, but if Koch gets it all figured out, he should be the closer, thats what he was brought here to do. Gordon knew we already had a closer when he signed, and as for his feelings getting hurt and getting mad at Manuel if he loses his closer job.....you are kidding right? Boo hoo for him then, these guys are here to do a job, and right now Gordon is doing his, Koch isn't...so thats why we have people pitching in the current roles. Koch was hitting 95 last night, I have no reason to think that with more arm rest, he can hit his old 98-99 again.

and adding my 2 cents here :D we can't take the chance of experiementing with botch getting his chance to get better when the game is close or on the line.

every game is now counting. :nono

I'm not saying experiment with him...but if Gordon starts to falter...AND Koch has his problems worked out, then there is no question he should be the closer. Its not an experiment, its a FACT. The guy is a closer, and a damn fine one when everything is right. And then we would have, IMO, the BEST 2 setup men in the AL in Marte and Gordon.

I'm not saying experiment with him...but if Gordon starts to falter...AND Koch has his problems worked out, then there is no question he should be the closer. Its not an experiment, its a FACT. The guy is a closer, and a damn fine one when everything is right. And then we would have, IMO, the BEST 2 setup men in the AL in Marte and Gordon.

you should say if and when or for that if he will ever regain his form.

but hos will he that, by game situation and again, every game is important to us. we can't let him take the mound in close games.

and adding my 2 cents here :D  we can't take the chance of experiementing with botch getting his chance to get better when the game is close or on the line.

every game is now counting.  :nono

That is exactly how I feel, put him in middle relief until his performances merit a chance at closing again (both velocity and preformance wise.)

Marte has a key role already...he is THE lefty out of the bullpen that we trust and go to the most. You make him the closer, then we have NO situational lefty to go to alte in the game.

David Sanders still exists. Wunsch is also coming back quite soon.

David Sanders still exists. Wunsch is also coming back quite soon.

I have approximately 0% faith in David Sanders getting guys out as a situational lefty. Quite honestly, he'll be the next guy to be back in AAA when Wunsch comes back.

My take is that Koch is not trying to dis anyone just that he feels at some point he will get into the groove and be lights out, not that he will take Gordon or Marte's job just that they have other specalities that can be used in other other situations. Gordon is a strike-out/ground ball pitcher that can be used when men are on abse in the 7th, 8th or even 9th inning. Marte is almost unhittable to lefties. If Koch is on, he is going to give up a runner or two so you want him to start the ninth (currently an inning,) and go from there. Gordon and marte can be effective for two innings at a time as well.

Wunsch may be back this weekend.

Yea I saw Koch throw 95 mph, also saw Halladay consistently hitting 98, and the telltale, Buehrle throw two 94 MPH cutters in a row. I wouldn't put alot of stock in that Skydome radar gun.

I thought the same thing watching that game. Their gun is way high. Also explains how Koch hit 101 in his days with the Jays