Rookie Brian Anderson to Have MRI on Wrist

elrockinMT

At the bottom of the story is a report on Anderson.

Sox strike back

Grand slam caps five-run rally

By SCOTT MANSCH

Tribune Asst. Sports Editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRIBUNE PHOTOS BY STUART S. WHITE

Helena runner Augustin Septimo is called out at home in a collision with White Sox catcher Matt Deuchler. The White Sox used a five-run seventh inning to defeat Helena 11-8.

Great Falls vs. Helena

First pitch: 7 p.m. at Legion Park

The Helena Brewers swiped seven bases Wednesday night, but it was the Great Falls White Sox who really stole one.

Seth Morris blasted a grand slam in the seventh inning as the Sox rallied from a five-run deficit to defeat the Brewers 11-8 in an important Pioneer League baseball game before an announced crowd of 2,433 at Legion Park.

Carlos Lee drove in four runs and Randy Surratt pitched three scoreless innings of relief when it looked like Helena might win a runaway as the Sox pulled within 1Þ games of the first-place Brewers in the Pioneer's Northern Division.

The Sox have four games left in the league's 38-game first half, while the Brewers have three. Since the two teams meet again tonight in the third game of a four-game set, neither club must rely on outside help in order to secure a playoff spot.

"We've got our fate in our hands," said Great Falls manager Chris Cron. "We can take care of own business and that's all you can ask for."

The Sox prevailed Wednesday night despite an uneven performance that included six fielding errors, seven stolen bases by an aggressive Helena club, a couple of wild pitches and two hit batsmen.

"You don't win many games when you commit the kind of mistakes we did tonight," said Cron, whose club fell behind 8-3 after 3Þ innings. "It's just a credit to our kids. They don't give up."

When Surratt, a southpaw free agent from Wayne (Mich.) State, entered the game, things looked bleak for Great Falls. But the 21-year-old from Roseville, Mich., pitched scoreless ball in innings five through seven.

The Sox got two in the fifth to shave the deficit to 8-5, then used several walks from Brewer pitching to mount a seventh-inning rally. Lee, who was 3-for-5 with four RBI, drilled a two-out single to bring the Sox within 8-6. When Clinton King walked to load the bases, Helena manager Ed Sedar called for hard-throwing reliever Greg Moreira.

The right-handed Moreira quickly got ahead of Morris 0-and-1.

"He threw that first one by me," said Morris, "and I really wasn't expecting another one. But he left it up and I was able to get some good wood on it."

Morris, a 21st-round pick in the 2002 draft who entered the game hitting .242 with 1 homer and 6 RBI, crashed the second fastball he saw high and deep to right-centerfield. It cleared the 368-foot mark and suddenly the Sox were ahead.

"It's never over," said Cron, whose club lost a one-run game to the Brewers Tuesday night. "We just kept battling away, and the next thing you know, something big happens for us. It's a big win, and we needed it big-time."

Drew Anderson had three hits and two stolen bases for Helena, which leads the division with a 22-13 record. The White Sox are 20-14.

"We were aggressive throughout," said Sedar. "You've got to hand it to their pitchers in the 5-9 innings. They came in and shut us out when we were on a pretty good roll."

Said Cron: "Randy did a great job. He came out and threw up zeroes when we really needed it. If he doesn't do that we have no chance of winning."

White Sox ace Brandon McCarthy (4-2, 1.88) is slated to pitch tonight against Helena's Gregory Kloosterman (2-0, 4.73).

NOTES: First-round draft choice Brian Anderson, who hasn't played for several weeks because of a sore wrist, had an MRI Tuesday and will travel to Chicago today so White Sox doctors can inspect the results. Anderson, the former University of Arizona star, had surgery on the wrist last December and apparently re-injured it early in his pro career. "It could be something minor, or something else," said Great Falls skipper Chris Cron. "We'll just have to wait and see. We hope it's just a bruise." ... Third baseman Michah Schnurstein, meanwhile, is about ready to play after missing nearly a month with a broken bone in his right wrist. Cron said Schnurstein might play either Friday or Saturday ... Brian Porter, Chicago's assistant director of player development, is in Great Falls for the Helena series ... Wednesday's game took 3 hours and 29 minutes, easily the longest of the summer at Legion Park.

NOTES: First-round draft choice Brian Anderson, who hasn't played for several weeks because of a sore wrist, had an MRI Tuesday and will travel to Chicago today so White Sox doctors can inspect the results. Anderson, the former University of Arizona star, had surgery on the wrist last December and apparently re-injured it early in his pro career. "It could be something minor, or something else," said Great Falls skipper Chris Cron. "We'll just have to wait and see. We hope it's just a bruise." ... Third baseman Michah Schnurstein, meanwhile, is about ready to play after missing nearly a month with a broken bone in his right wrist. Cron said Schnurstein might play either Friday or Saturday

I hope everything checks out find in the MRI for Anderson and I hope Schnurstein is 100% healthy now, I don't want him coming back to soon from a wrist injury b/c those can really hurt a players career(especially if it becomes a nagging injury for many years).

Schnurstein has been throwing and doing everything for about a week now.

Last I had heard he was gonna be back August 1st at the latest, but it looks like he's making good progress.

Things aren't good with Anderson though. Sprained wrist and he says he sprained it real bad. I'm guessing he'll be out a while.

Schnurstein has been throwing and doing everything for about a week now. 

Last I had heard he was gonna be back August 1st at the latest, but it looks like he's making good progress.

Things aren't good with Anderson though.  Sprained wrist and he says he sprained it real bad.  I'm guessing he'll be out a while.

That sounds good about Schnurstein, but I've become a little worried about Anderson. This sux he had to get injured especially b/c he was playing so well. :angry: