This team is stupid

YonderLaroche

This is a somewhat talented team that makes too many errors, doesn't hit consistently, and the bullpen is bad. But what really kills the team is the dumb mistakes. Throwing to the wrong base, not hitting cut off man, getting picked off, trying to score from 3rd when you can't, getting bad reads on the ball from outfield, bullpen throwing straight fastballs down the middle, always swinging for the fences, starting Contreras 10 too many times, signing Colon, let him go missing then bring back, then let him go missing again, DEWAYNE WISE on the roster, BRETT LILLIBRIDGE on the roster, JIMMY GOBBLE on the roster, trading your 2 top pitching prospects, trading for TONY PENA and his 5.00 ERA thinking he will be better in the AL... Can't forget how some guys feelings get hurt when they are playing bad baseball. This team is getting really, really frustrating to watch.

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
first of all, they werent our 2 top pitching prospects. hudson is a much better prospect than both of them. second of all, you would rather that we didnt trade for peavy? can't say i agree with that.

Hudson started the season in A ball, I don't consider that top pitching prospect. Peavy is hurt btw and blocked a trade to the Sox before.

Hudson started the season in A ball, I don't consider that top pitching prospect. Peavy is hurt btw and blocked a trade to the Sox before.

he was a better pitching prospects than both of them by the time the trade went down. why does it matter than he blocked the trade before? he didnt the 2nd time around. the payoff of having peavy will be greater than having the players we traded imo.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)

Why does it matter where you started the season? Hudson had more success than Poreda ever had and simply has better stuff. I would be surprised if Poreda is ever anything other than a solid reliever or mediocre 5th starter and Richard likely won't ever be anything other than a 4th starter and its not like he has pitched well with San Diego.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Why does it matter where you started the season? Hudson had more success than Poreda ever had and simply has better stuff. I would be surprised if Poreda is ever anything other than a solid reliever or mediocre 5th starter and Richard likely won't ever be anything other than a 4th starter and its not like he has pitched well with San Diego.

The defense will make Peavy look bad anyway so it don't matter.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
The defense will make Peavy look bad anyway so it don't matter.

I'm sure this will be the exact same team next year. Kenny will re-sign Dye and Pods and continue to rotate in Rios in the OF. He may even re-sign Contreras and plug him in as the utility infielder.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
I'm sure this will be the exact same team next year. Kenny will re-sign Dye and Pods and continue to rotate in Rios in the OF. He may even re-sign Contreras and plug him in as the utility infielder.

We'll still have the same infield as this year. Outfield might be better.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
We'll still have the same infield as this year.

Unless you're a mind reader you don't know that. Anything can happen before opening day next year. Paulie or Alexei could be traded. Nix or Getz might get shipped off. Who knows. Maybe we sign Figgins?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)

Who cares. Peavy is healed from the injury he came here with. He hasn't pitched yet b/c he got hit on the arm with a line drive which is a fluke occurrence. The fact that he blocked the first trade has no relevance to anything whatsoever.

Peavy >>> Richard + Poreda unless one of the other two steps up big time.

This team is a good example of what happens when you have too many declining veterans on your roster.

I've been cautiously optimistic all season, but these guys are done. If the lack of execution hasn't doomed them, the lack of focus has.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)

The Sox front office considers him the best pitching prospect in the system, and I'd say they have a little more inside knowledge of the game and everything surrounding it than you do.

It would be much easier to live with the play of this team if it was only the young players at new positions making the errors, and if I didn't have to watch Contreras and Linebrink take the mound.

One quick question BTW:

Does anyone else see parallels between the Cotts start in old Yankee Stadium and the Contreras start this year in the new Yankee Stadium? Going into both games I had the same feelings: the manager had really f***ed up, there were better options, and the game was being forfeit. I wonder if we'll look back on this game as the one where the season pretty much ended.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
there were better options, and the game was being forfeit. I wonder if we'll look back on this game as the one where the season pretty much ended.

Who was the better option today? Carrasco is the only one that comes to mind for me. And I still like him better out of the pen.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
It would be much easier to live with the play of this team if it was only the young players at new positions making the errors, and if I didn't have to watch Contreras and Linebrink take the mound.

One quick question BTW:

Does anyone else see parallels between the Cotts start in old Yankee Stadium and the Contreras start this year in the new Yankee Stadium? Going into both games I had the same feelings: the manager had really f***ed up, there were better options, and the game was being forfeit. I wonder if we'll look back on this game as the one where the season pretty much ended.

The difference is the other options aside from Contreras were Torres and Hudson, whereas Buehrle could have started in place of Cotts.

Although I don't really believe you'll have to wait until the end of the season to declare this our swan-song game. Especially if Detroit loses. I'm actually glad we had this roadtrip at this point in the year. Boston and New York have quickly put us in our place; which only leads Minnesota ready to deliver the knockout punch. Then 2009 will be gawn.

I want to keep Carrasco in the pen too, but if the Sox are removing minor league starters from the pool of options, the choice between Carrasco and Contreras is a no-brainer. Let's see, start a MLB pitcher or extend batting practice? Yeah, will have to go with Carrasco. We already knew DJ would be pitching the moment we sent Jose to the mound so it's not like we could have saved DJ for work tomorrow or whatever.

It wouldn't have mattered who we started because we faced Cy Mitre and got shut down. But it's more of a confidence issue IMO. How do you as a manager expect to inspire confidence in your team when you run Jose f***ing Contreras out to start a game? That's basically forfeiting. No wonder the offense was asleep. They had no reason to bother getting out of bed today as it was.

In the 3 innings I watched today, it was neat to hear Hawk and Stone rip our defense. They said it sucked, which it obviously does. Horrible defensive team. Bad baserunning team, though some of that is on Cox, who makes bad decisions. Why don't they move Harold to 3B coach next year??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
In the 3 innings I watched today, it was neat to hear Hawk and Stone rip our defense. They said it sucked, which it obviously does. Horrible defensive team. Bad baserunning team, though some of that is on Cox, who makes bad decisions. Why don't they move Harold to 3B coach next year??

Because you actually have to receive input from your 3rd base coach, and that doesn't work if he doesn't speak or move.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)

What the hey!!??? :lolhitting