Is Alexei Ramirez a good SS?

Jake

I'm tired of debating it with my friends. Is he a good defensive shortstop? I really do believe that he is, and that he in particular has excellent range at the position. He makes the simple errors, definitely. He has committed 17 errors this year, which can't be twisted into being a good stat. However, errors don't always tell the story. So, is the guy good? Feel free to use metrics.

Alexei has great range and athleticism. Being a major-league caliber shortstop is the hardest defensive position to play. Most fail, and get moved to other infield positions. Those clamoring for Beckham to play short will probably be surprised at the difference between a major league shortstop and a college/minor league shortstop, if he ever does play at SS. Alexei's errors will go down with more experience at the position. Meanwhile, his bat is strong for a SS, with the main problem being his slow start at the beginning of the every year in the cold weather (I guess it doesn't snow in Cuba). I'm with Ozzie on this one - Alexei is our shortstop for years to come.

I think he COULD be a good SS, but, just like Juan Uribe, he's a mental case. He turns a lot of easy plays into tough ones (low throws, high throws, delayed throws; thankfully Paulie usually picks him up). He obviously has the athleticism to be good and the range to go with it. He just needs to consistently make the plays.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
His UZR on fangraphs so far is 1.8 whereas last year at 2nd it was -8.3 . So even though you hear people clamoring for him to be put back at 2nd base overall (according to UZR) he's much better at SS, though overall that 1.8 means he's rather mediocre.

There's no reason why Alexei should have better range at SS than at 2B. This is why defensive ratings like UZR need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anybody who actually watched Alexei at 2B last season could tell that he was more than competent at the position.

He has great range up the middle, but not great range to his right. He has a cannon arm, and can make some very difficult plays that many other SS's would have trouble with. He struggles with DP's when there is a chance of contact with the runner. And yeah, he makes boneheaded plays too often.

Normally, for a guy in basically his first year at the position, you'd take that and be happy. Problem is though, I'll say again, he isn't improving. He's the same now as he was in April. So I have a hard time believing he'll improve in 2010. I hope I'm wrong.

No, he's not a good SS defensively, and he's mediocre to below average offensively. Other than possessing a little home run power, he's in the bottom half of MLB SS in almost every offensive category. He's a bad baserunner and base stealer despite possessing above average speed, he does not hit doubles, he does not draw walks, he cannot handle a bat, he cannot hit situationaly. I can name 15 guys I'd rather have starting at short for my team. To me he's a large part of the problem, he fits right in with the style of play the Sox are trying to move away from, guys that can only hit long balls, but he possesses a bit of speed and looks fast so it flies under the radar that he is a bad baseball player. Add to this around 20 errors at short on the year, mental lapses in the field, and I think the cons outweigh the pros on this guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
He has great range up the middle, but not great range to his right. He has a cannon arm, and can make some very difficult plays that many other SS's would have trouble with. He struggles with DP's when there is a chance of contact with the runner. And yeah, he makes boneheaded plays too often.

Normally, for a guy in basically his first year at the position, you'd take that and be happy. Problem is though, I'll say again, he isn't improving. He's the same now as he was in April. So I have a hard time believing he'll improve in 2010. I hope I'm wrong.

His range to his right has improved a ton as has his throws to Paulie. He has adjusted in several different dp scenarios and has improved immensely in pick off plays and stolen base attempts.

He's ALOT better than he was in April. His range, his throws, his attention to detail and his command of the infield are all improved since opening day.

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
No, he's not a good SS defensively, and he's mediocre to below average offensively. Other than possessing a little home run power, he's in the bottom half of MLB SS in almost every offensive category. He's a bad baserunner and base stealer despite possessing above average speed, he does not hit doubles, he does not draw walks, he cannot handle a bat, he cannot hit situationaly. I can name 15 guys I'd rather have starting at short for my team. To me he's a large part of the problem, he fits right in with the style of play the Sox are trying to move away from, guys that can only hit long balls, but he possesses a bit of speed and looks fast so it flies under the radar that he is a bad baseball player. Add to this around 20 errors at short on the year, mental lapses in the field, and I think the cons outweigh the pros on this guy.

Well alot of what you said simply isnt true. But I especially liked where you stated he has a "little" HR power, but then that all he does is try to hit long balls. He's an above avg offensive player at SS, and is a rookie defensively, and a decent one at that.

But I'd like to see your list of SS you would like starting over Alexei. Why didnt you post that in the first place since it was part of your proof points why you dont like the guy.

FYI

league avg SS

.269 4hr 25 RBI

Alexei

.276 15hr 58 RBI

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
His range to his right has improved a ton as has his throws to Paulie. He has adjusted in several different dp scenarios and has improved immensely in pick off plays and stolen base attempts.

He's ALOT better than he was in April. His range, his throws, his attention to detail and his command of the infield are all improved since opening day.

I just don't see that at all. Heck, just the last few games even, his throws have been all over the place. His range to his right I haven't seen change either, though that's of course a small sample size to evaluate. But the throws, the DP's and the bonehead mistakes just keep on rolling.

Fortunately, since he's above average for a SS with the bat with room to spare, that makes up for it somewhat. But its frustrating to look at a guy who seems like he could be great there, but isn't mentally capable, from what I can see so far.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
I just don't see that at all. Heck, just the last few games even, his throws have been all over the place. His range to his right I haven't seen change either, though that's of course a small sample size to evaluate. But the throws, the DP's and the bonehead mistakes just keep on rolling.

Fortunately, since he's above average for a SS with the bat with room to spare, that makes up for it somewhat. But its frustrating to look at a guy who seems like he could be great there, but isn't mentally capable, from what I can see so far.

yes, the last few games are a good view of how much his range to his right has improved. He's been getting to balls in the hole that he shouldnt even be near. His throws are inconsistent, but I have seen him letting them go more often which is a good thing. he never would have made that play in the first game at the dome in April of this season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
yes, the last few games are a good view of how much his range to his right has improved. He's been getting to balls in the hole that he shouldnt even be near. His throws are inconsistent, but I have seen him letting them go more often which is a good thing. he never would have made that play in the first game at the dome in April of this season.

Throws are better, I agree. But his range to his right doesn't look any better to me; it's bad. Put it this way: I've yet to see him go into the hole this year and either: (1) backhand a ball, and throw to first; (2) be in front of a ball, and throw to the first; or (3) dive, reach a ball and throw to first. If you aren't able to do any of those things, it means that you're not able to range to your right in any sense of the word.

Granted, I haven't seen every inning of every game, but I've seen quite a bit.

Edited by Friend of Nordhagen

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Throws are better, I agree. But his range to his right doesn't look any better to me; it's bad. Put it this way: I've yet to see him go into the hole this year and either: (1) backhand a ball, and throw to first; (2) be in front of a ball, and throw to the first; or (3) dive, reach a ball and throw to first. If you aren't able to do any of those things, it means that you're not able to range to your right in any sense of the word.

Granted, I haven't seen every inning of every game, but I've seen quite a bit.

literally he did this 2 games ago, a true web gem.

Whatever you may think of Alexei at SS, I'm pretty sure that he'll still be our starting SS in April. Beckham will most likely stay at 3B (where he's adjusted nicely) and Nix has made Alexei look like Ozzie Smith in comparison. There aren't very many in-house options and Kenny doesn't have enough financial flexibility (or prospects) to go after another Orlando Cabrera this winter.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
Whatever you may think of Alexei at SS, I'm pretty sure that he'll still be our starting SS in April. Beckham will most likely stay at 3B (where he's adjusted nicely) and Nix has made Alexei look like Ozzie Smith in comparison. There aren't very many in-house options and Kenny doesn't have enough financial flexibility (or prospects) to go after another Orlando Cabrera this winter.

Alexei is better than OCab at SS at this point in his career. He is subpar.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
Alexei is better than OCab at SS at this point in his career. He is subpar.

I meant a general veteran who can hit reasonably well and play SS competently.

I also think that Cabrera was better at SS last season than Alexei is now.

He can be a real good SS. I think folks tend to forget he played out of position at 2B last year and I thought did well there and now he is back to SS. Next yer he should be much better. He has tremendous range for sure.

Edited by elrockinMT