Something to consider on the potential trade front.

southsider2k5

Why would they trade for a mediocre closer when they already have a better one? It makes no sense.

Because theres talk in Boston that they might want to explore moving him........And by the way Bobby Jenks is a very good closer and has been since 05.It takes a differnt kind of an animal to close games and he has "it".It doesnt mean he wont struggle at times, but you will see a huge differnce if we move Bobby amd Thorton attempts to close games.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
I see Kenny doing business with Theo this offseason..........Involving Alexi and Jenks for Pappalebon and maybe Buckholtz.....Not saying thats the exact trade but those would be the principels.

As much as he pisses me off sometimes, trading Ramirez would be dumb. You're not going to get his production at the rate they are paying him anywhere. You just have to live with his head up his ass occassionally, at least until he starts getting paid when he hits arb when this contract runs out. Its too much production for little money and with the Sox always on a tight budget, the contract is even more valuable.

As much as he pisses me off sometimes, trading Ramirez would be dumb. You're not going to get his production at the rate they are paying him anywhere. You just have to live with his head up his ass occassionally, at least until he starts getting paid when he hits arb when this contract runs out. Its too much production for little money and with the Sox always on a tight budget, the contract is even more valuable.

You'd get a LOT more production for less money with Beckham at SS.............And yes he (Alexie)pisses me off with his lackluster play too!

Edited by East Side Z

I can't see the Red Sox being one of the teams interested in Jenks. One of the reasons the Red Sox would look to trade Papelbon, if true, is he's getting expensive. So is Jenks. In addition, they have their future closer in Daniel Bard. If they don't feel he's ready to close, they'll just hand the job to Saito, who's been a very good closer and is cheap.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
I see Kenny doing business with Theo this offseason..........Involving Alexi and Jenks for Pappalebon and maybe Buckholtz.....Not saying thats the exact trade but those would be the principels.

Great idea. We replace Jenks (who already we are having trouble affording) with an even more expensive closer, plus add a 7th starter, and we do it all while only opening a gigantic hole at SS? Sign me up!

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 07:41 AM)
Kenny will make a trade this off-season and the logical and or most likely to be moved are Alexie and Jenks.Im not for moving either guy for the sake of moving them.But if you can get Theo intrested it wouldnt be a bad idea to see what he might offer.

I agree. It is far more logical to move a young, productive player who plays a premium position at a salary well below market value than it is to shop a couple of overpaid veterans like Paulie and Linebrink.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 05:38 AM)
You'd get a LOT more production for less money with Beckham at SS.............And yes he (Alexie)pisses me off with his lackluster play too!

Both are cheap and you talk about this production with Beckham at SS, but you also have a guy that would be a below average defensive player (at least in his first year) who doesn't have the defensive tools to be an above average defensive shortstop.

Bottom line, I see a lot of people indicating how we can just slide Bekcham over, but our defense would be atrocious if we did that. Ramirez improved drastically all season defensively at shortstop and has the skill-set to be an above average defensive shortstop.

Plus, Ramirez has some nice offensive tools and in his 3rd year should be a much more consistent offensive player. I don't see any reason we should be removing him from the lineup. Plus, I'm not exactly sure who the heck we are trying to make room for anyway?

Viciedo isn't ready to break camp with the Sox and if he does it won't be to play 3B. He'll play 1st or LF. Retheford might be ready for 2B, but even than, I'd take Ramirez over CJ and Getz so I'm really curious as to why we'd move Ramirez cause I don't see who we'd be making space for?

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 05:41 AM)
Kenny will make a trade this off-season and the logical and or most likely to be moved are Alexie and Jenks.Im not for moving either guy for the sake of moving them.But if you can get Theo intrested it wouldnt be a bad idea to see what he might offer.

IT is not logical to move a cheap shortstop whose under your control for another 4 years before becoming a FA. He's also signed for a very cheap amount for another 2 years.

If you move Alexei, you will not be able to replace the production and the Sox don't have guys waiting below who are ready to step in.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 07:38 AM)

Offensively that may be the case, but defensively I dont see Beckham being better at SS. And with our pitching staff, I'd rather have Alexei in that spot and Becks at SS.

Also, nobody cares to look at the horrendous start Alexei had this year to finish the way he did. All it would take is an ok start and his numbers would be very good for his position.

Edited by RockRaines

IT is not logical to move a cheap shortstop whose under your control for another 4 years before becoming a FA. He's also signed for a very cheap amount for another 2 years.

If you move Alexei, you will not be able to replace the production and the Sox don't have guys waiting below who are ready to step in.

Look.........Im not advocating moving Alexie,but Kenny will make a splash and Alexie is the obvious choice.By the way I think Beckham will be just fine at short.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Look.........Im not advocating moving Alexie,but Kenny will make a splash and Alexie is the obvious choice.By the way I think Beckham will be just fine at short.

It's Alexei, and many many scouts disagree with you, not that they are correct, but I agree with their assessment. Becks can be a plus 3B or an avg at best SS.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)

Why is Alexei the obvious choice? Moving him doesn't clear payroll and creates a hole. The Sox aren't able to make any splash by moving Alexei.

If they are going to move someone on the 25 man roster, they are going to move someone who has payroll because that is the only way they'll be able to make a splash (by clearing payroll).

Buehrle

Konerko

Jenks

Linebrink

Those are the guys Kenny is going to look to move and by no means am I saying he will move all of them, but all of those guys would create financial flexibility and (with the exception of Linebrink) help bring back talent as well.

I'm not saying I'd trade the above, but given the limitations the Sox have financially to clear the remaining holes, Kenny will have to get creative and he can't get creative unless he moves some of the above.

It's Alexei, and many many scouts disagree with you, not that they are correct, but I agree with their assessment. Becks can be a plus 3B or an avg at best SS.

are these the same scouts that thought Burhle was 38th round choice.....?The only reason Beckham got moved off SS was beacuse of Alexie,and the jury is still out on Alexie.

Why is Alexei the obvious choice? Moving him doesn't clear payroll and creates a hole. The Sox aren't able to make any splash by moving Alexei.

If they are going to move someone on the 25 man roster, they are going to move someone who has payroll because that is the only way they'll be able to make a splash (by clearing payroll).

Buehrle

Konerko

Jenks

Linebrink

Those are the guys Kenny is going to look to move and by no means am I saying he will move all of them, but all of those guys would create financial flexibility and (with the exception of Linebrink) help bring back talent as well.

I'm not saying I'd trade the above, but given the limitations the Sox have financially to clear the remaining holes, Kenny will have to get creative and he can't get creative unless he moves some of the above.

Good luck with that........

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Yup...........teams are lining up and asking Kenny.........Give me your overpriced and older players.....Lets be real.

I didn't say they were going to trade them all...but teams would have interest in all of the above with the major exception of Scott Linebrink. And since the payroll stands with very little wiggle room, I don't see how dealing one of the Sox most productive players for the money is of any benefit.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Nix at 3rd ,Beckham at SS and Getz at 2nd.

Wow, so we are going to essentially replace Ramirez with Nix. We lose offensively and defensively since Ramirez is superior in both categories. We also lose defensively with Bekcham at SS.

Oh and I don't see how a .220 avg from our starting 3B is going to solve the clubs offensive woes.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
Im not saying just give him away.........

I think the Red Sox could use Alexie at SS.

Ya, but if we move Alexei we need to be getting better. What are you suggesting we get that changes the landscape because an infield of Nix/Bekcham/Getz is exponentially worse than one of Beckham/Ramirez/Getz.

Nix would be one of the worse starting 3B in major league baseball history (.220 avg with a bit of pop and a solid glove, but not a gold glove at 3B).

Wow, so we are going to essentially replace Ramirez with Nix. We lose offensively and defensively since Ramirez is superior in both categories. We also lose defensively with Bekcham at SS.

Oh and I don't see how a .220 avg from our starting 3B is going to solve the clubs offensive woes.

So you have seen Beckham play SS at the major league level.........Send me the link.