Is it time to sign Quentin?

Jerksticks

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
Didn't something come out about Mark making a comment about Peavy's salary the first time we traded for him?

http://fannation.sportsillustrated.cnn.com...ors/view/112656?

So, Mark's never won a Cy Young or even been a top-tier pitcher in the AL, but now wants to "renegotiate" his contract because of Peavy? That's pretty weak. Towers gave Peavy that contract, not Kenny.

I like Mark and appreciate all that he's done, but this isn't the NFL. Mark is going to get all $56 million of that deal, no matter what. So where is the justification for a contract renegotiation?

Edited by WCSox

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That comment was made months ago, and no one even knows for sure whether he was serious or not.

The point is is that these guys measure themselves at least partially by how much money they make. Remember, these are spoiled-rotten guys that have had things handed to them all their lives due to their ability. Whether something is fair or not, or whether a guy chose to sign a contract in the past is often of no matter to them. It's simply about who makes what and how does that compare to my peers.

I'm not saying certain players of ours are like this, especially not Gavin. I'm just pointing out that these squabbles come up fairly often and I think it would be best to try and keep Danksy and Gavin on a fairly similar salary plane.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
That comment was made months ago, and no one even knows for sure whether he was serious or not.

The point is is that these guys measure themselves at least partially by how much money they make. Remember, these are spoiled-rotten guys that have had things handed to them all their lives due to their ability. Whether something is fair or not, or whether a guy chose to sign a contract in the past is often of no matter to them. It's simply about who makes what and how does that compare to my peers.

I'm not saying certain players of ours are like this, especially not Gavin. I'm just pointing out that these squabbles come up fairly often and I think it would be best to try and keep Danksy and Gavin on a fairly similar salary plane.

I agree with this.

On the other hand, if Mark has a problem with Kenny trading for Peavy to help the team win and paying Peavy the contract that Towers wrote and signed, Mark can go play for his beloved Cardinals in return for two or three of their top prospects.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)

No one made Gavin take that offer.

I wouldnt call any of these players spoiled-rotten. What kind of lifestyle were they raised in? Do you know? Pretty simple minded to make a blanket statement like that. Thats like saying a college athlete is "given" a college scholarship. They earned their scholarships....they "work" their way through college. The majority of the players in the minors are eligible for welfare benefits to supplement their incomes.

Wonder if KW would be willing to earn far less than his counterparts? Or would you? Major League Baseball created this pay system. Don't criticize the players for following the rules Bud and the rest allow.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)

The Chicago papers said he was joking and nobody made a stink about it. The national outlets tried to turn it into a story. There's no story there.

QUOTE (hometeamfan @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
No one made Gavin take that offer.

I wouldnt call any of these players spoiled-rotten. What kind of lifestyle were they raised in? Do you know? Pretty simple minded to make a blanket statement like that. Thats like saying a college athlete is "given" a college scholarship. They earned their scholarships....they "work" their way through college. The majority of the players in the minors are eligible for welfare benefits to supplement their incomes.

Wonder if KW would be willing to earn far less than his counterparts? Or would you? Major League Baseball created this pay system. Don't criticize the players for following the rules Bud and the rest allow.

Fine. They have been catered to for the majority of their professional lives in a way that most human beings could only dream of. Better?

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Peavy is a much better pitcher than Buehrle. I'm sure Buehrle can see that they are trying to put the club in contention to win a world series too. I doubt he is that bitter about it.

and MB is not bitter about it at all. I have an excellent source about how happy MB is

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)

He wasn't.. there was an article that Buehrle was saying this jokingly to the media, but of course you can't see facial expressions in articles written. He was kidding around the whole time.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
The Chicago papers said he was joking and nobody made a stink about it. The national outlets tried to turn it into a story. There's no story there.

Damn you.. just saw this.

Edited by SoxAce