Is it time to sign Quentin?

Jerksticks

Can we sign Quentin to a 3-4 yr deal right now to buy out his remaining arbitration years, just like Floyd? After a down year and based on his knack for injury, the Sox have negotiating strength and might be able to lock him up on the cheap. I believe he is fine now and will be a monster next year. So can we do it, would you do it, etc..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
If Quentin has another injury-prone season, he'll seek an extension. Otherwise, he'll go into arbitration like most players.

I think he realizes that no one will give him a multi-year deal if he does have another injury problem filled season.

Is he always going to be bumped and bruised the way he crowds the plate and a.) will continue to get plunked over and over and b.) the way he hammers that ball off his lower leg all the time fouling pitches off his body?

I like CQ a lot, but wow, terrible luck health wise.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
He might be slipping based on 2009 stats and compared to 2008. But, there was a noticeable decline at the end of 2008 also. Risky for an aging veteran.

aging veteran?? he not jermaine dye you know, carlos turned 27 in august, so hes just entering him prime years.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
I guess I am in the minority, but I think he comes back and has a monster 2010, a la 2008.

Talent has never been in question. I don't think 2008 was a fluke at all. This guy raked at the college level. He raked at the minor league level. And he's raked at the Big League level when healthy. Of course, "when healthy" are the key words.

QUOTE (boejouma @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
aging veteran?? he not jermaine dye you know, carlos turned 27 in august, so hes just entering him prime years.

Protip: when people write in the green font it signifies sarcasm. We get so used to it that even when someone writes something in over the top sarcasm and it's not in green we have to believe they are serious.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
Protip: when people write in the green font it signifies sarcasm. We get so used to it that even when someone writes something in over the top sarcasm and it's not in green we have to believe they are serious.

whew. good to know

QUOTE (boejouma @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
whew. good to know

Yes, my Soxtalk friend it was a joke. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Carlos Q is back to full health and performance next year. He needs to harness that fire he has to perform well.

Edited by elrockinMT

Now or never really. He was a monster at the start of the season, and finally again at the very end. I think he's back. 4 yr 20 mil would be so awesome.

I'd do 4 for 20 in a heartbeat. Anybody else?

How bout 3 for 25 or 4 for 30? What's your year and pay limit?

This is the MVP we are talkin about here.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes again.

Think about this: we go to arb with Quentin and he probably gets like $3M or thereabout. If he has a monster 2010, then he could be looking at $8-10M easily (look at the arb situations for Prince and Howard). Now, if in 2011 he gets hurt and doesn't put up big numbers then he becomes a non-tender OR trade for very little candidate simply because through arbitration we won't be able to cut his salary sufficiently.

Giving Carlos an extension that buys out his 3 arb years plus one FA year full of team options with buyouts makes the most sense IMO.