More Royals Available

Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Olivo as a backup catcher? Coco Crisp in CF? Thoughts?

I think Guillen had a problem with Olivo but I can not recall for certain. The guy still has a gun and would be a great defensive replacement late in games but I do not see it happening.

I really would love to see Flowers get another year of practice down in the minors rather than be a DH/C/PH all season. Supposedly Buddy Bell has made some great strides in improving the minor league system from a player development standpoint and Flowers' big strides as a catcher are part of the early results.

I would love to try to get Kila Ka'aihue, if he can be had. We have zero depth for 1B behind Paulie right now (in the minors I mean), unles Viciedo is a 1B. And having a lefty power bat would be helpful. His AVG dropped last year in AAA, but his other numbers are all pretty good, and I see a lot of potential there.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Royals dont' have anyone else available that really would fit the Sox needs or at least I don't think they do. DeJesus would be a nice fit though.

I really wish they had gone for DeJesus over Teahen. I'm a huge Dejesus fan and him and Rios plus a now (hopefully) healthy Quentin would have been a huge defensive upgrade over 2009's outfield.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
I really wish they had gone for DeJesus over Teahen. I'm a huge Dejesus fan and him and Rios plus a now (hopefully) healthy Quentin would have been a huge defensive upgrade over 2009's outfield.

Offensively that outfield wouldnt' be great, but I'd be okay with it, especially if Rios came back closer to his career norms. And a healthy Quentin will be much better than this years version, imo (and I think he'll be healthy). Q works hard and has had some fluke injuries but long-term he'll be ok.

I think if you brought in a DeJesus and than got agressive to try and find a DH we could have a pretty solid all aruond offense. Not an explosive one, but a solid one that will consistently score. Not to mention our team defense would be much improved and that is key since we should have one of the best rotations in baseball and a good defense and solid offense should be what it takes (hopefully a solid pen too) to take this team to the playoffs and beyond.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Royals dont' have anyone else available that really would fit the Sox needs or at least I don't think they do. DeJesus would be a nice fit though.

DeJesus would be a pretty bad fit IMO since he's not really a CF. And for the thousandth time (from me) PLEASE no Quentin in RF.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
I know. But I'd much rather get a CF and move Rios to RF than bring in someone who sucks balls to play RF. Quentin would also suck balls in RF.

DeJesus would have nice rang, but doesn't have the arm to play RF. I would prefer we bring in a legitimate offensive RF'er, however, DeJesus would fill a nice need at the top of the order and a duo of DeJesus/Beckham would be pretty good in my book.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
DeJesus would be a pretty bad fit IMO since he's not really a CF. And for the thousandth time (from me) PLEASE no Quentin in RF.

DeJesus is an underrated player and would be a solid LF and leadoff option for us. And, sorry, but Quentin is a legit RF. At the very least, he's a significant upgrade over Dye and I don't see how he'd be any worse than Maggs out there (who also has a very average arm).

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
DeJesus is an underrated player and would be a solid LF and leadoff option for us. And, sorry, but Quentin is a legit RF. At the very least, he's a significant upgrade over Dye and I don't see how he'd be any worse than Maggs out there (who also has a very average arm).

I love CQ but as a defender he would make me vomit as a RF. Comparing Maggs to other RF is a bad argument. Compare Maggs to Nick Markakis then. I want some f***ing D this year.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
I love CQ but as a defender he would make me vomit as a RF. Comparing Maggs to other RF is a bad argument. Compare Maggs to Nick Markakis then. I want some f***ing D this year.

Unless you're the Mariners, you're probably not going to get much defensively out of your starting RF. Plus, you could do a lot worse than Quentin in RF. His arm is mediocre, but still good enough to play the position. He certainly has the range (total UZR of 9.1 in ARI, vs. a total -21.1 UZR in LF).

If you're absolutely dead-set against Quentin in RF, moving him to DH might not be a bad option. Especially considering the fact that he's constantly getting injured.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
I think Guillen had a problem with Olivo but I can not recall for certain. The guy still has a gun and would be a great defensive replacement late in games but I do not see it happening.

I really would love to see Flowers get another year of practice down in the minors rather than be a DH/C/PH all season. Supposedly Buddy Bell has made some great strides in improving the minor league system from a player development standpoint and Flowers' big strides as a catcher are part of the early results.

I seem to remember the pitchers had a problem with his game calling.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
Unless you're the Mariners, you're probably not going to get much defensively out of your starting RF. Plus, you could do a lot worse than Quentin in RF. His arm is mediocre, but still good enough to play the position. He certainly has the range (total UZR of 9.1 in ARI, vs. a total -21.1 UZR in LF).

If you're absolutely dead-set against Quentin in RF, moving him to DH might not be a bad option. Especially considering the fact that he's constantly getting injured.

Okay, I don't see the range at all. I don't know or care what UZR says, I don't see that with Carlos. Beyond that, half the time he doesn't even know where he's supposed to throw the ball after making a play. DH would be fine, but I think he's okay in LF. I just do not want that guy in RF at all. And I don't know what UZR says about Ichiro, but the Mariners aren't the only team out there with strong defense in RF.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Okay, I don't see the range at all. I don't know or care what UZR says, I don't see that with Carlos. Beyond that, half the time he doesn't even know where he's supposed to throw the ball after making a play. DH would be fine, but I think he's okay in LF. I just do not want that guy in RF at all. And I don't know what UZR says about Ichiro, but the Mariners aren't the only team out there with strong defense in RF.

One typically wants more range in LF than RF, as more balls are hit there. That's why Quentin's UZR is so much higher in RF (most right fielders are slower than left fielders).

I don't understand why somebody who "doesn't know where to throw the ball after making a play" is OK in LF, but a big no-no in RF. If that's your argument, he shouldn't be playing anywhere in the outfield.