Morel > Viciedo on the big board?

NorthSideSox72

Phil Rogers seems to feel that Brent Morel has surpassed Dayan Viciedo as the Sox' 3B of the future:

Brent Morel has shot past Dayan Viciedo as the White Sox's third baseman of the future. He's a natural hitter, which he showed when he joined the Arizona Fall League at midseason and hit .372 in his first 12 games, including an 8-for-11 showing in three games last week.

From this article.

I wonder if he actually heard anything from the Sox, or if he is just flinging s*** at the wall.

I really think he means Morel is going to actually be a third baseman whereas Viciedo profiles as a DH/1b type. I don't think this should be read as Morel has surpassed Viciedo as a prospect. But really, we all know Viciedo would never make the Sox as a third baseman, so this really shouldn't be that surprising.

:lolhitting

He gets pretty excited after three games of playig time. But, we heard before that maybe Viciedo is better suited for 1B or DH. DV made a lot of errors, but of course experience may change that. The Sox can't see Teahan as the long-long term fix at 3B can they?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
:lolhitting

He gets pretty excited after three games of playig time. But, we heard before that maybe Viciedo is better suited for 1B or DH. DV made a lot of errors, but of course experience may change that. The Sox can't see Teahan as the long-long term fix at 3B can they?

No. In fact...swapping Getz for Teahen is exactly what you'd do if you thought you had another 3b arriving in 1-2 years. Teahen is only arb-eligibile for 1 more season after this one, and unless he takes a big step forward he'll probably be slightly overpaid next year if you offer him arbitration, but not immensely so.

So...if Viciedo or Morel are ready in 2011, then you let Teahen walk after 2010 as a non-tender guy. If you think they need another year, you offer him arbitration, cost yoursefl $5-6 million unless he has a huge season, it costs a little bit but it's not a budget-buster, and then you're ready to insert your young guy in 2012.

If it comes from Phil Rogers, take it with a grain of salt.

When I saw this I immediately thought, "we're shopping Morel." When the Sox themselves say Viciedo can not/will not play 3B then we can pencil in Morel IMO. Until that point, there's no guarantee either of these guys are even in our organization two months from now. If we do keep Morel, and if we're going solely off scouting reports here, I'd love to move Morel to C. His value would skyrocket as a C given his bat and his ability to steal 25+ bags per year.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
If it comes from Phil Rogers, take it with a grain of salt.

When I saw this I immediately thought, "we're shopping Morel." When the Sox themselves say Viciedo can not/will not play 3B then we can pencil in Morel IMO. Until that point, there's no guarantee either of these guys are even in our organization two months from now. If we do keep Morel, and if we're going solely off scouting reports here, I'd love to move Morel to C. His value would skyrocket as a C given his bat and his ability to steal 25+ bags per year.

I dont feel like looking it up...has he ever played catcher or are you just floating that idea out of nowhere?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
I dont feel like looking it up...has he ever played catcher or are you just floating that idea out of nowhere?

One of his draft day scouting reports said he should be able to make the transition to C. I don't know if he's played there or not, but he supposedly has all the tools to do it. If so, rather than look like an average 3B he could look like a potential All-Star catcher.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
One of his draft day scouting reports said he should be able to make the transition to C. I don't know if he's played there or not, but he supposedly has all the tools to do it. If so, rather than look like an average 3B he could look like a potential All-Star catcher.

Oh ok.

Well if we trade Flowers they may work on a transition for him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
Oh ok.

Well if we trade Flowers they may work on a transition for him.

This was the report:

SCOUTING REPORT: Morel’s quietly-aggressive, blue-collar approach to the game makes him a favorite of coaches, and scouts significantly warmed up to him this spring, as well, after he profiled as little more than a mid-round selection entering the 2008 season. He doesn’t do anything with flash and none of his tools really stick out, but Morel matured as a hitter this year. He had a knack for finding the sweet spot, added power as he learned to backspin balls better and hit the curveball more consistently. He developed into a sound clutch hitter. With a week remaining in the season, he was hitting .364-7-56—and his average and RBIs were team-leading figures. It was a significant step up from 2007, when he batted .333-5-31. His improvement on defense was just as subtle. He makes all the routine plays at third base, shows solid instincts for the position and displays above-average arm strength when he needs to. He also has average speed and is an alert base runner. Some teams believe Morel’s aggressive approach might make him well-suited to become a catcher down the road.—ALLAN SIMPSON

So some teams were looking at him as a C, but there so far has been no indication the Sox are one of those teams. I was just saying that if we're going to be judging solely off scouting reports (which is what some here are doing by saying things like Viciedo can't stick at 3B) then Morel could also be a catcher. If he can be, I'd like to see it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
For people that saw Viciedo, could he pull a Carlos Lee?

God no, but I never say never when it comes to baseball. He is one hell of a hitter though. He has a major league bat for certain.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:41 AM)
This was the report:

So some teams were looking at him as a C, but there so far has been no indication the Sox are one of those teams. I was just saying that if we're going to be judging solely off scouting reports (which is what some here are doing by saying things like Viciedo can't stick at 3B) then Morel could also be a catcher. If he can be, I'd like to see it.

Catcher interesting