Polanco to sign with Phillies

Buehrlesque

Got this from Rotoworld:

Link

Various sources are reporting that Placido Polanco and the Phillies have agreed to a three-year, $18 million contract with a mutual option for 2013. Polanco was not offered salary arbitration by the cash-strapped Tigers, allowing the Phillies to sign the Type A free agent without surrendering their first-round pick.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Got this from Rotoworld:

Link

Various sources are reporting that Placido Polanco and the Phillies have agreed to a three-year, $18 million contract with a mutual option for 2013. Polanco was not offered salary arbitration by the cash-strapped Tigers, allowing the Phillies to sign the Type A free agent without surrendering their first-round pick.

That strikes me as a lot of money for a guy exiting his prime.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
That strikes me as a lot of money for a guy exiting his prime.

And years. I was secretly hoping the Sox might still consider him for 2B (obviously that was more likely before the Teahen and Vizquel moves), but three years seems a bit long for a commitment to him. You never know, maybe he'll age like Vizquel and still be productive. But I don't know if I would give him $6 million in 2012 to find out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
What makes them think Polanco could play 3b?

Well, I'm sure some sort of effort went into deciding whether we could still play third. He used to play third (it's been a while though), he's solid with the glove at second, and the Phillies are familiar with him, so I'd believe he could hang at third defensively. But will his bat hold up at 3B over the length of the contract?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
Well, I'm sure some sort of effort went into deciding whether we could still play third. He used to play third (it's been a while though), he's solid with the glove at second, and the Phillies are familiar with him, so I'd believe he could hang at third defensively. But will his bat hold up at 3B over the length of the contract?

Over the next 3 years, they've got what, Howard and Utley for at least the next 2, JRoll for probably the same amount, Werth is probably arb-eligible, Lee for the next year, Hamels for a couple more, I don't think they really need a strong bat at 3b with the kind of production they're getting at 1b and 2b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
Over the next 3 years, they've got what, Howard and Utley for at least the next 2, JRoll for probably the same amount, Werth is probably arb-eligible, Lee for the next year, Hamels for a couple more, I don't think they really need a strong bat at 3b with the kind of production they're getting at 1b and 2b.

Along those lines of thinking, why didn't they just re-up with Pedro Feliz to play third? He doesn't give you much with the bat, but is one of the premiere defensive third basemen in the league.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 01:38 AM)
Why can't we ever sign guys we can get excited about?

Polanco would be one of those guys.

Peavy is the lone exception of somebody we've acquired of late who we can get excited about.

I'm more excited about Alex Rios than I would have been had the Sox signed Polanco. Polanco isn't that exciting of a ballplayer, and he didn't have a good season last year, and at 34, I'm not sure the Sox should have even considered him at $6 mill a year considering that it's very possible he's not much more than a super utility player by the end of the contract.