White Sox NOT in attendance for Chapman workout

southsider2k5

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4745486

Source: Scouts watch Chapman throwComment Email Print Share By Jorge Arangure Jr.

ESPN The Magazine

Archive

Fomer Cuban national team starting pitcher Aroldis Chapman threw a bullpen session on Tuesday in Houston in front of representatives from 15 major league teams.

On Tuesday morning at the Baseball USA complex, the left-hander tossed two separate five-minute side sessions, throwing mostly in the 92-93 mph range and topping out at 96 mph. Chapman, 21, also threw his slider and change-up.

Team representatives who attended included Houston Astros general manager Ed Wade, Los Angeles Angels scouting director Eddie Bane, Florida Marlins vice president of player development Jim Fleming, Pittsburgh Pirates international scouting director Rene Gayo, and Baltimore Orioles international scouting director John Stockstill, according to the source. The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, who are expected to be heavy bidders for Chapman, each had one area scout in attendance.

Several teams were expected to meet with Chapman after the workout, at the offices of his agents, Randy and Alan Hendricks.

"I think it's important that he demonstrated that he's ready, that he's in shape, that he's throwing free and easy and that's what he did," Randy Hendricks said, according to KRIV-TV in Houston. "A lot of life on his pitches, threw real well. Not all-out, which is what we told the teams he would not do, but sufficient I think to let everybody know he's ready for prime time."

According to the report, the Cincinnati Reds, Washington Nationals, Kansas City Royals, Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, Seattle Mariners, and Texas Rangers also had representatives in attendance.

"Everybody in baseball needed to see this and most everybody was here," Bane, the Angels' scouting director, said of the session, according to the report.

According to sources, Boston is the only team known to have made an offer for Chapman, for $15.5 million. But that offer was made a few weeks ago to his former agent, Edwin Mejia.

Randy Hendricks confirmed there are on offers on the table for Chapman, but did not disclose details, according to KRIV-TV.

Chapman, whose fastball was clocked at 102 mph at the World Baseball Classic this year, defected from the Cuban national team in August during a tournament in the Netherlands.

Jorge Arangure Jr. writes for ESPN The Magazine.

QUOTE (monomach @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
The fact that the Sox wouldn't even look at him kind of disturbs me. Don't we have a regional scout in the south who could have driven over there with a radar gun and a video camera just to see what's to be seen?

It's possible they feel they've done all the scouting they need to on this guy, as he's beginning to price out of their range. Or maybe they just don't want any Hispanic players on the team.

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
It's possible they feel they've done all the scouting they need to on this guy, as he's beginning to price out of their range. Or maybe they just don't want any Hispanic players on the team.

LMAO. This dude is awesome. Welcome to the board, Sox72. Post more, my friend.

The Red Sox already offered $15M, and that was probably a 4-year MLB deal similar to the ones we gave Alexei and Dayan. If the Sox wanted Chapmann they'd probably have to offer at least $16 over 4, which would mean we wouldn't have been able to pay Juan Pierre. Clearly then, if the choice is Pierre vs. Chapmann, you go for the guy with the brownest underwear.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
The Red Sox already offered $15M, and that was probably a 4-year MLB deal similar to the ones we gave Alexei and Dayan. If the Sox wanted Chapmann they'd probably have to offer at least $16 over 4, which would mean we wouldn't have been able to pay Juan Pierre. Clearly then, if the choice is Pierre vs. Chapmann, you go for the guy with the brownest underwear.

KHP, you need to stop. I think you're a terrific (although your long-winded as hell sometimes) poster. But don't let emotions take over.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
You're right, I shouldn't b**** about any of this. That's not what a message board is for. Thanks for letting me know.

There's a difference between b****ing and being silly. But if it makes you feel better, have fun. Hope you accomplish something.

QUOTE (monomach @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
The fact that the Sox wouldn't even look at him kind of disturbs me. Don't we have a regional scout in the south who could have driven over there with a radar gun and a video camera just to see what's to be seen?

They would have had to reimburse the scout for his gas, which puts Juan Pierre out of the budget.

Edited by Eminor3rd

If they arent going to bid for him, why waste the time scouting?

He played in the WBC, people have seen him and know what he is about.

The Sox have a lot of money invested in pitching, throwing money at Chapman wouldnt be a good use of resources. Especially if there is a bidding war with NYY and Boston.

KW knows he can not sign Chapman. I think the Angels will land him after Lackey defected to Boston. The Mets are the wild card here. They need pitching and I assume Wilpon has some money left.

The White Sox will sign other Cubans. That is my gut feeling.

Chapman video clips in case you want to see them.

http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com/2009/...-in-tryout.html