Article in Herald indicates trade

Loaiza21

Manuel babbles and slips secret of trade, then trys to contradict himself. :)

With Monday an off day, Manuel plans to skip the fifth spot this week in series at Kansas City and Seattle.

"When we need the fifth starter, I'm sure we'll have somebody here at that time ready to give us some innings," Manuel said.

Manuel was asked if that meant someone from within the organization or from outside.

"We'll probably discuss that at some point to see what's available," he said. "We'll sit down as a staff when that time comes and make a decision."

With the trade deadline Thursday, if general manager Kenny Williams has one more deal up his sleeve, there certainly appears to be a need for a fifth starter.

"I don't foresee anything (happening)," Manuel said before Saturday's loss. "Everybody would like to probably get another starting pitcher, maybe someone for that fifth spot."

One pitcher who is supposedly very available right now is Freddie Garcia. He's been pretty brutal all year except for June, when he was nearly untouchable. Since Steff heard the former "mind blowing" deal Hawk mentioned was for a west coast pitcher, I wonder if it was him. They, as always, need a LF, we have an extra one or two, and probably a decent prospect or two.

One article I read said that Seattle, if they don't trade him may non-tender him this off season. He is arbitration eligible, and makes a ton of money. It does scare me that he is only .500 for a great Seattle team, but if it financially could be done, and Garcia pitched like he has in the past, the Sox would win the Central easily.

One pitcher who is supposedly very available right now is Freddie Garcia. He's been pretty brutal all year except for June, when he was nearly untouchable. Since Steff heard the former "mind blowing" deal Hawk mentioned was for a west coast pitcher, I wonder if it was him. They, as always, need a LF, we have an extra one or two, and probably a decent prospect or two.

One article I read said that Seattle, if they don't trade him may non-tender him this off season. He is arbitration eligible, and makes a ton of money. It does scare me that he is only .500 for a great Seattle team, but if it financially could be done, and Garcia pitched like he has in the past, the Sox would win the Central easily.

wow, i am surprise that he is available if it is true.

he reminded me of jaret wright of the old cle indians. now look at him.

Yeah, I have heard about Garcia being available too. The Mariners would like to add, I believe, another bat to their bench, but they have no payroll flexibility whatsoever. They get rid of his like $6.5 mill contract, and they suddenly do. If we can get rid of Konerko, we can do that move. Kong's making like $6.5 mill this year as well, but makes like $8 mill next year and a little more then that the year after. We can then take on some of Lee's salary(maybe $1.5 mill or so), and I'm sure we could easily do that deal. They only have to pay like $500,000 for Lee, if that even, and they then have room to acquire another bat. I could see something like that happening.

The nice thing behind this trade is the fact that Garcia will be our 4th or 5th starter, not our 2nd or 3rd where there is more pressure on him to succeed. He puts up a 4.50 ERA, and he is doing great for us in those spots. And if Cooper can straighten him out and get him to start throwing his devastating changeup like he has done in the past(namely 2001), I will go out on a limb, and say we will have the best rotation in atleast the AL.

Wow, I can't believe we are even discussing this. first the Mariners are not going to take Konerko and 6.5 million. They have no payroll room and they already have a first baseman and a DH. So Konerko is out. As for LEE, you want to take away our top RBI guy out of the lineup to get a pitcher who is three months away from free agency and won't resign with the Sox next year. I have lots of friends in seattle and they want to rid themselves of Garcia big time. He has major issues this year. I am not against getting him to pitch as a number 5 but we have only 5 more starts or so with the number 5 this year. Since the last two deals were not adding payroll what makes you think we will add payroll here? Pay LEE's contract and garcia's? doesn't sound something like the Sox would do.

I realize this may not be popular but we need more bullpen help not a fifth starter. if I am adding payroll and trading lee or konerko I want paul Shuey from the Dodgers. More choices in the bullpen is better than a guy that will only pitch 5 games between now and the end of the year.

I'm just going to say that I think calling up Ginter meant that the Sox were going to make a deal. I think that Glover may start getting more time after having two solid outings where his stuff looked much better then its been in a long long time.

But, reading that article, I think it just says we'll have someone for the innings and that means that Rauch or Wright will get an extra start or two in the minors so I don't think we'll see him.

If Sox got Garcia, I'm assuming with that contract it wouldn't be giving up anything very good because of his contract.

The question is would JR be willing to add the payroll. Maybe the Sox made the first two trades in the mindset that the 3rd one, which will come closer to the deadline would be one where the Sox could add payroll and not give up anything more really.

Wow, I can't believe we are even discussing this. first the Mariners are not going to take Konerko and 6.5 million. They have no payroll room and they already have a first baseman and a DH. So Konerko is out. As for LEE, you want to take away our top RBI guy out of the lineup to get a pitcher who is three months away from free agency and won't resign with the Sox next year. I have lots of friends in seattle and they want to rid themselves of Garcia big time. He has major issues this year. I am not against getting him to pitch as a number 5 but we have only 5 more starts or so with the number 5 this year. Since the last two deals were not adding payroll what makes you think we will add payroll here? Pay LEE's contract and garcia's? doesn't sound something like the Sox would do.

I realize this may not be popular but we need more bullpen help not a fifth starter. if I am adding payroll and trading lee or konerko I want paul Shuey from the Dodgers. More choices in the bullpen is better than a guy that will only pitch 5 games between now and the end of the year.

I think a 5th starter is a more important need because the Sox do have guys like Munoz, Sanders, Ginter, Wright, Rauch and Diaz that are at least capable. Plus I still have faith in Koch.

If the SOx make the playoffs, at least one of the starters would be moved to the pen anyway. Still the best would be the Sox willing to add payroll to the point that they could get a starter and a reliever for basically nothing.

Or if they could unload Konerko and a prospect for Ponson and Lightenberg.

Those are 5 huge games, IMO. Think about it, there are less than 60 games left in the season, we need every game we can get.

Those are 5 huge games, IMO. Think about it, there are less than 60 games left in the season, we need every game we can get.

getting a 5 th start is very important right now. we need someone who will go out there every 5 th game and give us a chance to win.

HMMM, Ok We'll just dissagree for now, we will know within a week. I just think it means we blew out the bullpen last week, we don't need a fifth starter for a week, and we will go with an extra releiver until we need a fifth starter. Ginter will ptich today if colon doesn't go all the way, that leaves Gordon and marte fresh for KC. In a week Ginter will be sent down for the fifth starter.

If there is a trade it will be for bullpen help. We will see in a week.

PS KC up 1-0 in the 3rd

No problem guys, I just don't think that sending Porzio down indicates a trade. Danny wright would be considered a 5th starter on most teams. he will probably be called back up. Hey I would love ponson for konerko. I don't like Konerko anyway. But I don't think Balt would do that. Seattle won't either. Personally I think Seattle would be better trading Garica to KC for Randa. Both are in final years and Seattle needs a 3b with Power. KC would get a veteran pitcher. anyway.

KC 1-0 in the 3rd.

Well hopefully we do get a decent 5th starter. We need it to make a run for the AL title. Its hard to see our streak go down because our 5th starter cant hold down the opponent.

PONSON DAMMIT!!! :headbang :headbang :bringit