Dog Issues

Marky Mark

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)
Excellent point. Also it is good to discipline them (take them to where they pee'd/poop'd at tell them no/bad dog/etc.. and hit them, doesn't have to be super hard, but they know you mean buisness) so they will think twice. Dogs are obviously very smart. I have a 5 month old myself. Yes he still slips up from time to time, but not nearly as much as he used to. When he slips up, he runs right to his dog cage cause he knows he f***ed up.. :lol: I also credit my other dog too (older) who shows him the ropes sort of speak. I.E. where to do his business at outside (amazing that I can let him out at 5 months in my backyard with no fences, etc.. and he does his business and heads right back into the house not worrying about him running away, pooping/peeing in the neighbors yard) not to walk in the living room, etc..

I'm pretty sure any dog expert/trainer would tell you that you should never hit your dog.

Positive reinforcement when she goes outside (treats), negative reinorcement when she goes inside (not hitting - usually a stern NO! will do it), don't leave the water bowl out, etc.

Repetition, repetition, repetition. That's the key to everything. Dogs are creatures of routine.

(Of course, it helps when you have a bigger dog because they're smarter, but what are you gonna do? Get a Pit Bull next time :) )

BTW, Milo

was the wildest dog I've ever seen when I adopted him. A friend found him starving to death all alone and crazy as hell having been abandoned in a park in downtown LA. And now he's the most well-behaved boy you ever did see. It takes a lot of commitment to repetition and hard work to get them there, but eventually they get there.

Best response I’ve seen so far is from Ace, and that is if you catch the dog, carry it, point its nose at the scene of the crime and give it a knock on the head while saying “Bad or no good”. It may seem cruel, but it should work. And one more thing, don’t scream at them because that will just confuse the puppy. Try to use the same type of tone you would use when praising a dog, but with a more harsh tone and of course the thud over the head will further illustrate your disappointment.

I’m giving my two cents here as I currently am trying to get my 10 week old mini-poodle to get used to the fact that it can’t be outside every hour. I also have two other poodles (mom & dad) which I’ve had since they were puppies and are well trained.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
BTW, Milo

was the wildest dog I've ever seen when I adopted him. A friend found him starving to death all alone and crazy as hell having been abandoned in a park in downtown LA. And now he's the most well-behaved boy you ever did see. It takes a lot of commitment to repetition and hard work to get them there, but eventually they get there.

I can't understand why someone would abandon an animal. Take it to a shelter, they do take in animals that people can't keep. Dogs remember the people who help them.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
I can't understand why someone would abandon an animal. Take it to a shelter, they do take in animals that people can't keep. Dogs remember the people who help them.

Not to start an argument here, but shelter’s aren’t always the best way to get rid of a dog or any type of animal for that matter. I suggest asking friends who will find interest in taking care of them should be the first to go to.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Not to start an argument here, but shelter’s aren’t always the best way to get rid of a dog or any type of animal for that matter. I suggest asking friends who will find interest in taking care of them should be the first to go to.

Oh, I know, but it's better than leaving them somewhere.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
Oh, I know, but it's better than leaving them somewhere.

Tell me about it. I rescued a super cute Jindo wandering near USC who the neighbors said was abandoned after its family moved and didnt want to take him with. The shelters aren't great, but at least the dog won't starve to death on the streets.

I have a fat little puggle (75% pug, 25% beagle) that is now 2 years old. I bought him at 3 months old, and crate trained him while I was at work all day. I also taught him to use the bell. At first, very frustrating, because he rang it for fun, and living in a condo, it's not a fun chore to take the dog out. After about 5 months of having him, he was good to go.

I no longer worry about him using the bathroom in my house, he goes almost 10:30-10:45 minutes everyday (I leave at about 7:00 AM, get home at about 5:30 PM), but even though I wish I could get home faster for my dog, I also realize that he sleeps most of the day and doesn't exert much energy.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
Damn. So sorry to hear that.

Thank you.

You'd think that "he's only a dog", but everyone at home including me has been broken up about it for two days now.

Poor innocent thing died and he never knew what happened.

He was older but died from injuries resulting from falling down the basement stairs.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Thank you.

You'd think that "he's only a dog", but everyone at home including me has been broken up about it for two days now.

Poor innocent thing died and he never knew what happened.

He was older but died from injuries resulting from falling down the basement stairs.

Damn I'm sorry to hear that Jeremy. As a fellow dog (animal) lover myself, it kills me to see any dog (or animal) die, especially if it wasn't natural causes. My little guys are definitely part of my family no doubt.

RIP to the little guy. :(

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
My little one died today. :crying

Duuuuude that sucks. I was just perusing this thread and was going to comment on how adorable that little sucker is... I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm sure that was a very lucky pooch who lived a very loved life.

Edited by Steve9347