Tim Tebow to appear in anti-abortion Super Bowl ad

Balta1701

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
When will you grasp that what we are arguing is NOT that this message should not be shared, but that it should NOT be shared in a 30-second commercial where it cannot be adequately, responsibly, and respectfully shared. You seem to be completely missing the point here.

iamshack, that is your objection, but there are others here objecting simply to the message, others to who is helping with the message, etc.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
iamshack, that is your objection, but there are others here objecting simply to the message, others to who is helping with the message, etc.

I understand I am sort of dialing in on a more specific objection than some others, but I have not really seen too many object to the idea of presenting the message in a respectful and adequate manner.

Who among us posting in this thread would object to the idea of this issue being presented in a documentary, or in book or pamphlet of some type, where it could be fully explained and discussed in a respectful manner?

I would have no issue even with the Tebow's story being a part of that. I think I do agree with Tex in that there is some value in them sharing their story, since people know who they are and have some level of trust in them as reasonable and caring people.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
When will you grasp that what we are arguing is NOT that this message should not be shared, but that it should NOT be shared in a 30-second commercial where it cannot be adequately, responsibly, and respectfully shared. You seem to be completely missing the point here.

There are multiple arguments happening here.

Without seeing the ad, I can't really respond. I agree the total message cannot be shared in thirty seconds. I truly doubt they will try. But how many commercials, Public Service Anbnouncements, etc. can be adequately, responsibly, and respectfully shared?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
There are multiple arguments happening here.

Without seeing the ad, I can't really respond. I agree the total message cannot be shared in thirty seconds. I truly doubt they will try. But how many commercials, Public Service Anbnouncements, etc. can be adequately, responsibly, and respectfully shared?

The vast majority of them.

I'm not sure you could produce a more complex issue than the one the Tebow's are attempting to share with us in 30 seconds.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
I understand I am sort of dialing in on a more specific objection than some others, but I have not really seen too many object to the idea of presenting the message in a respectful and adequate manner.

Who among us posting in this thread would object to the idea of this issue being presented in a documentary, or in book or pamphlet of some type, where it could be fully explained and discussed in a respectful manner?

I would have no issue even with the Tebow's story being a part of that. I think I do agree with Tex in that there is some value in them sharing their story, since people know who they are and have some level of trust in them as reasonable and caring people.

I think you are placing way more medical importance to this than I am. There is a huge difference between discussing a serious medical decision and hearing about someone's story. Much like just listening to Joe Walsh sing about his battle with alcoholism is far different than seeking treatment for the disease. Perhaps there is someone who would decide what cancer treatment to take after reading about Farrah Fawcett, but I really doubt it.

It is my guess, and since no one has seen it we are all guessing, that it will be more People Magazine than the New England Journal of Medicine. When People Magazine reports on some celebrity and their latest surgery, or the coolest new bit of cosmetic surgery, I don't hear too many complaints around here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)

I'm not sure you could produce a more complex issue than the one the Tebow's are attempting to share with us in 30 seconds.

That's where we have a huge difference. You are thinking some big medical thing, I'm thinking human interest piece. You are thinking medical advice, I am thinking People Magazine fluff.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)

Vast majority? Car ads, are they enough to have you buy a car? All the Pharma ads? Stay in school? Really 30 seconds is enough to discuss financial aid, job outlooks, Colleges versus Universities? Trade Schools versus Academic. I can hardly think of one issue that could be fully, to the level you are thinking, be explained in thirty seconds.

Tex, obviously none of us have seen the commercial.

But do you not see the implication here?

By stating that her doctor advised her not to take her pregnancy to term, and that she did anyways, and she had the child who grew up to be Tim Tebow....I mean, you don't get what they are saying there?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Tex, obviously none of us have seen the commercial.

But do you not see the implication here?

By stating that her doctor advised her not to take her pregnancy to term, and that she did anyways, and she had the child who grew up to be Tim Tebow....I mean, you don't get what they are saying there?

I do get it and you realize that People Magazine and the New England Journal would have far different articles? That there is news of celebrity diets, surgeries, etc all the time which do not get pamphlets, journal articles, etc.

It's a human interest piece. When celebrities talk about their new diet, they don't spend two hours discussing the health implications for diabetics, people with suppressed immunity, etc.

I believe since this is such an important topic, that potentially has fatal implication, people will be guided more by their Doctors and family than some QB's mom. In fact, I'm surprised you are thinking this will have such a huge impact. If that were truly the case, smoking and drugs would be gone from society with all the celebrity anti-drug and anti-smoking campaigns. If they don't listen to a celbrity say stop this or you will die,why will they listen to her?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
I do get it and you realize that People Magazine and the New England Journal would have far different articles? That there is news of celebrity diets, surgeries, etc all the time which do not get pamphlets, journal articles, etc.

It's a human interest piece. When celebrities talk about their new diet, they don't spend two hours discussing the health implications for diabetics, people with suppressed immunity, etc.

I believe since this is such an important topic, that potentially has fatal implication, people will be guided more by their Doctors and family than some QB's mom. In fact, I'm surprised you are thinking this will have such a huge impact. If that were truly the case, smoking and drugs would be gone from society with all the celebrity anti-drug and anti-smoking campaigns. If they don't listen to a celbrity say stop this or you will die,why will they listen to her?

I just find it incredibly offensive and disrespectful. I don't think it will have a big impact at all.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
I just find it incredibly offensive and disrespectful. I don't think it will have a big impact at all.

I guess that is where I am confused. Offensive and disrespectful to who?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
I guess that is where I am confused. Offensive and disrespectful to who?

To all the people grappling with the decision themselves? To anyone who has gone through it in the past? To anyone who realizes the gravity of the issue and how ridiclous it is to make it seem so cut and dry, like the Tebow's are apparently doing?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
To all the people grappling with the decision themselves? To anyone who has gone through it in the past? To anyone who realizes the gravity of the issue and how ridiclous it is to make it seem so cut and dry, like the Tebow's are apparently doing?

I am trying to see the point where someone going through it would be insulted by hearing about someone else that went through it. Listen in at a hospital waiting room, the conversations are often brief, not filled with medical advice. People want to hear about others facing similar choices. Again, we are both making assumptions about their message. I probably would agree with your take if I accepted the commercial as you believe it will be done.

I think the biggest difference we have is in how you look at the message. You are thinknig heavy duty medical, I am thinking it is more like this Tim McGraw song

He said: "I was in my early forties,

"With a lot of life before me,

"An' a moment came that stopped me on a dime.

"I spent most of the next days,

"Looking at the x-rays,

"An' talking 'bout the options an' talkin’ ‘bout sweet time."

I asked him when it sank in,

That this might really be the real end?

How’s it hit you when you get that kind of news?

Man whatcha do?

An' he said: "I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,

"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.

"And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,

"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."

An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,

"To live like you were dyin'."

Now you could say how insulting. Someone was just told they have three months live and this stupid f*** tells them to go sky diving and bull riding?! That's irresponsible. They should be seeking second opinions, researching alternative strategies, etc.

I'm thinking it's a nice uplifting message of hope.

We'll see what the commercial looks like.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:07 AM)
I think the biggest difference we have is in how you look at the message. You are thinknig heavy duty medical, I am thinking it is more like this Tim McGraw song

Now you could say how insulting. Someone was just told they have three months live and this stupid f*** tells them to go sky diving and bull riding?! That's irresponsible. They should be seeking second opinions, researching alternative strategies, etc.

I'm thinking it's a nice uplifting message of hope.

We'll see what the commercial looks like.

This isn't telling someone to fill out their bucket list because they are ill.

This is rubbing a gamble in the face of an incredibly complex issue.

I'm just not seeing this as you are, Tex.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:20 AM)

I think you're assuming the message is going to be, "I risked my life because I think abortion is murder, plain and simple. And you should make the same choice, not because of medical advice, but because the end result could be like mine, my son, Jesus reincarnate."

I'm in 100% agreement with Tex. So long as the message isn't a blatant "abortion is murder" message, this is simply some family telling its story.

IN other words, they can't afford to say no to them anymore...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-supe...0,4804840.story

CBS willing to air more Super Bowl advocacy ads

Associated Press

January 26, 2010 | 11:57 a.m.

* EmailE-mail

* printPrint

* increase text size decrease text size Text Size

NEW YORK -- CBS responded to complaints over a conservative group's planned Super Bowl ad featuring football star Tim Tebow by saying that it had eased restrictions on advocacy ads and would consider "responsibly produced" ones for open spots in its Feb. 7 broadcast.

CBS said Tuesday it had received numerous e-mails -- both critical and supportive -- since a coalition of women's groups began a protest campaign Monday against the ad, which the critics say will use Tebow and his mother to convey an anti-abortion message.

Funded by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family, the 30-second ad is expected to recount the story of Pam Tebow's pregnancy in 1987. After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child. She later gave birth to Tim, who won the 2007 Heisman Trophy and helped his Florida team win two BCS championships.

CBS said Tuesday that the decision to air the Tebow ad reflected a change in its policies toward advocacy ads that has evolved over the past several years.

"We have for some time moderated our approach to advocacy submissions after it became apparent that our stance did not reflect public sentiment or industry norms," said spokesman Dana McClintock. "In fact, most media outlets have accepted advocacy ads for some time."

He said CBS "will continue to consider responsibly produced ads from all groups for the few remaining spots in Super Bowl XLIV."

In 2004, CBS was criticized by many liberal organizations for rejecting an ad by the United Church of Christ highlighting the UCC's welcoming stance toward gays and others who might feel shunned by more conservative churches.

CBS said Tuesday that, under its new policies, the UCC ad would have been accepted for airing. The network said that it has run ads in the past year or so with divergent views on topics such as the health care overhaul, climate change and energy policy.

Thirty-second commercials during the Super Bowl are selling for $2.5 million to $2.8 million.

On Monday, a coalition led by the New York-based Women's Media Center, with backing from the National Organization for Women, the Feminist Majority Foundation and other groups, urged CBS to scrap the Tebow ad.

"An ad that uses sports to divide rather than to unite has no place in the biggest national sports event of the year -- an event designed to bring Americans together," said Jehmu Greene, president of the media center.

QUOTE (southsidetony @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
CBS loses all credibility (do they have any remaining) and joins the ranks of Fixed Noise if they air the ad. If Tebow wants to make ads, videos, posters, magazines, book, and whatever else he can think of- fine. Go ahead. But not on CBS, and certainly not on a day, one of the "holiest" on the sporting calendar, when the last thing I wanna do is argue with my friends and family on hot topic issues and morality.

I love Tebow as a player, and would love to have him on the Bears... but if this ad airs- I hope he burns a fiery death in hell, where he will eternally be sacked, over and over again- by Ndamukong Suh.

Please read and post your understanding of the rules of this forum. The thread for doing so is pinned at the top of the page.

Thanks,

The Mod Staff

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:20 AM)

Let's also remember that all preganacies carry risks. I honestly do not know where she falls on the scale. And as you mention, all cases are different. Someone with diabetes faces certain risks when she is pregnant. Are they acceptable risks? Couples with certain genetic predispositions also face unique challenges. Maybe this ad gets some of them to talk with their Doctor about becoming pregnant.

But I know the times I faced medical decisions I appreciated any feedback. From a general answer to the question "how did it go for you" in a waiting room, to longer, more involved discussions.

As far as my example, you easily dismiss it as fill out a bucket list. I believe many people will dismiss her messae just as easily. They will realize that her situation is not the same as anyone else.

This isn't rubbing the gamble in their face, life has already done that. It is exposing them to someone who has been there.

Another thought, I hope this urges women to get a second opinion when they are in these situations. Whether it is a Doctor that would encourage carrying the child or one who advocates for terminating the pregnancy, two different Doctors may give comflicting opinions, or they both may line up. Just because the first Doctor believes the risk is moderate, doesn't mean the next one might think it is severe, or mild.

You're right Tex. This is a wonderful opportunity for family members and friends to start talking about this issue. Who cares if households across the country get into major arguments. Sure it's a topic that can ignite very heated debates as evidenced in this thread but I couldn't think of a better opportunity to alienate yourself than at a Super Bowl party.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
You're right Tex. This is a wonderful opportunity for family members and friends to start talking about this issue. Who cares if households across the country get into major arguments. Sure it's a topic that can ignite very heated debates as evidenced in this thread but I couldn't think of a better opportunity to alienate yourself than at a Super Bowl party.

better than the fights over who was suppose to bring the chips. And I will be the 10,342,839 person the say the Super Bowl is a terrible place to air the ad. But it is easily the greatest place to have people talk about it.

The liberal media is taking an opportunity to champion one of their liberal ideas . . .

It also seems odd to me that some women's groups do not support the right to choose. They only seem to rally around one choice.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)

lol. Don't ruin the football game for a debate like abortion... :lolhitting