Tim Tebow to appear in anti-abortion Super Bowl ad

Balta1701

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Yeah that was a very inoffensive, non-controversial commercial, to the point where the message wasn't even obvious... honestly it made everyone who made such a big deal out of it look kind of foolish.

Yep. The commercial was lame.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand they wanted to get their message and their thoughts out to the public, and I can appreciate that, but that looked like a monstrous waste of money to me. They would have been better off spending $2 million to get some type of ad played over the entirety of the year, rather than during one 30 second interval during the Super Bowl when someone could have glanced away or gotten food or gone to the bathroom or whatever and missed it. Hell, I didn't realize it was Mama Tebow until it dawned on me that it was a hot milf that obviously wasn't an actor (and then she got f***ing speared).

The ad just didn't do a whole hell of a lot for me at all. Maybe that was the plan, but for the Super Bowl, that seems like a pretty damn weak plan.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
That commercial was a waste of $3+ million. Not only was it stupid and badly acted, it had no teeth.

Considering the amount of publicity the ad got before it ever ran, I think they got their $3M worth.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
Considering the amount of publicity the ad got before it ever ran, I think they got their $3M worth.

And the amount of people who turned it into some bunch of crazies killing doctors making a commercial game them the most free publicity of all.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
And the amount of people who turned it into some bunch of crazies killing doctors making a commercial game them the most free publicity of all.

^^^^

It totally ruined my Super Bowl. The family started fighting, people were dying . . .

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)

Yeah and the gay dating ad that got rejected had more or less the same plan, they knew it was going to be rejected and they saved a couple million in the process.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Yeah and the gay dating ad that got rejected had more or less the same plan, they knew it was going to be rejected and they saved a couple million in the process.

They saved $3 mil, got the web site publicity AND the commercial got views - for free.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
^^^^

It totally ruined my Super Bowl. The family started fighting, people were dying . . .

sorry to hear that Texsox, but you were warned here at Soxtalk. you should have known that scenario would play out.

Honestly, I ate my crow already, but to all of you rubbing it in, you have to admit that the commercial was so incredibly tame that it didn't even get a message across. It isn't as if they pulled it off in a respectful way such as some here apparently envisioned.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
Honestly, I ate my crow already, but to all of you rubbing it in, you have to admit that the commercial was so incredibly tame that it didn't even get a message across. It isn't as if they pulled it off in a respectful way such as some here apparently envisioned.

It actually got the tougher message across in the weeks leading up and now. Pick another ad and let's try to have 100 posts about it. I was actually surprised that Focus on the Family was so low key. They are not a group I would have expected that from.

Did CBS lie to us about the Tim Tebow ads to draw national attention to them?

Did you see the Tim Tebow ad that actually aired during the Super Bowl yesterday? The only one I saw was much different than what CBS told us was going to air during the game and which drew a ton of controversy all across the blogosphere and throughout the pro-choice movement. What I saw was not controversial and didn't even talk about the abortion issues that were supposed to be aired. The LA Times said: Tebow ad falls short of the hype

Here's some CBS reporting which helped get the controversy going on January 26th and then the 27th.

The 30-
s
econd commercial i
s
expected to recount the
s
tory of Pam Tebow'
s
pregnancy in 1987. After getting
s
ic
k
during a mi
s
s
ion trip to the Philippine
s
s
he ignored a recommendation by doctor
s
to abort her fifth child.

S
he later gave birth to Tim, who won the 2007 Hei
s
man Trophy and helped the Florida Gator
s
win two BC
S
champion
s
hip
s

CB
S
s
aid Tue
s
day that the deci
s
ion to air the Tebow ad reflected a change in it
s
policie
s
toward advocacy
s
pot
s
that ha
s
evolved over the pa
s
t
s
everal year
s

"We have for
s
ome time moderated our approach to advocacy
s
ubmi
s
s
ion
s
after it became apparent that our
s
tance did not reflect public
s
entiment or indu
s
try norm
s
,"
s
aid
s
po
k
e
s
man Dana McClintoc
k
. "In fact, mo
s
t media outlet
s
have accepted advocacy ad
s
for
s
ome time."

These ads had nothing to do with advocacy on the abortion issue. I think either CBS or Focus on the Family (or both) pulled a fast one on America and they should be called out on it. Not only that they should be panned roundly by the media for providing false journalism and advertising to drum up buzz for the commercial.

LINK

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)

That's true, it really didn't. They got their free hype in though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Awesome, now they are upset that the commercial wasn't radical enough :bang

Unbelievable. Not to mention...where the heck does CBS hype up an ad or talk about it's content. The only thing I see from the network is The network said it has approved the script for the 30-second ad and has given no indication that the protest would have an impact. A network spokesman, Dana McClintock, said CBS would ensure that any issue-oriented ad was "appropriate for air." The other s*** is from a blogger who was giving background on the ad. This is the problem with everyone jumping to conclusions about something you had no clue about. The pro abortion crowd, not pro choice crowd, flipped over the idea of the ad...without knowing a thing. Oh there might be an ad that celebrates life...lets raise hell!! Then the ad celebrates life and it's....we were duped, who can we blame!!! GMAFB.

This may go down as one of the greatest Super Bowl commercials of all time. Next to the Macintosh. I can't beleive that Focus on the Family winds up looking normal and the rest look like radical crazies. I never saw that coming.