Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
I meant companies will pass it up with better hardware (the EVO and Droid Incredible are almost on par with iPhone4).

"Universally usable" is a bit of a loose term. Many cars now simply have an AUX input or a USB jack (Ford Sync)

The Andoid UI needs some work, but the just hired the UI guy from Palm, so I have a feeling there will be some major changes in the next year.

In the end, iPhone will probably always be "sexier", but Android will be just as good.

The UI is tweaked by every company out there, its just an OS, which is why it may be more prevalent at some point, but each phone has a different look and feel which is why it will seem like 6 different phone trying to compete not only with the iphone but with each other.

And the Aux input doesnt allow control of the unit, and each unit will have different controls which wont allow manufacturers to set a standard for charging and control of the unit. This will be a huge weak point of Android based phones.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
The UI is tweaked by every company out there, its just an OS, which is why it may be more prevalent at some point, but each phone has a different look and feel which is why it will seem like 6 different phone trying to compete not only with the iphone but with each other.

The UI is a problem. There is a "base" UI that you can use, but most people leave on the phone distributer's overlay. I think the uniformity will come when Google releases a UI that is good enough to be the default across all the phones.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
And the Aux input doesnt allow control of the unit, and each unit will have different controls which wont allow manufacturers to set a standard for charging and control of the unit. This will be a huge weak point of Android based phones.

The control is a very fair point. I dont know how this will play out, but Android will be incorporated into cars soon... mark my words. With regards to charing, most, if not all, mobile phones will be charged via Micro-USB in the next few years. It's finally become the standard due to regulations in Europe.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
I meant companies will pass it up with better hardware (the EVO and Droid Incredible are almost on par with iPhone4).

I'm honestly struggling to see how iPhone4 is better than what the EVO offers.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
The UI is a problem. There is a "base" UI that you can use, but most people leave on the phone distributer's overlay. I think the uniformity will come when Google releases a UI that is good enough to be the default across all the phones.

The control is a very fair point. I dont know how this will play out, but Android will be incorporated into cars soon... mark my words. With regards to charing, most, if not all, mobile phones will be charged via Micro-USB in the next few years. It's finally become the standard due to regulations in Europe.

But each phone distributer wants THEIR phone to stick out which is why they will tweak the way the OS looks so that their users become accustomed to their brand of phones. I dont think we'll see a universal OS for all phones across the Android OS, because simply, those hardware companies dont want to be the same as each other.

I saw your edit. The thing is that most companies will say, do I want my users to be able to use the most widely used MP3 player in their cars for their enjoyment, or will I make the commitment to only allowing people with a certain brand of phone to be able to use it in the car. Most companies will choose an ipod control accessory, which ironically enough, also works with the iphone. Integrating audio controls with the phones themselves just isnt as important. I'd venture to guess most folks who own an android phone have an ipod as well.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
I'm honestly struggling to see how iPhone4 is better than what the EVO offers.

I would mostly agree with you on that. My only hold back is I dont know how the Apple A4 processor compares to the 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon. And, the EVO has less battery life.

Like I said, I think these will be things that improve int he next 6 months.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
I would mostly agree with you on that. My only hold back is I dont know how the Apple A4 processor compares to the 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon. And, the EVO has less battery life.

Like I said, I think these will be things that improve int he next 6 months.

Android 2.2. will significantly enhance processing and battery life.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
But each phone distributer wants THEIR phone to stick out which is why they will tweak the way the OS looks so that their users become accustomed to their brand of phones. I dont think we'll see a universal OS for all phones across the Android OS, because simply, those hardware companies dont want to be the same as each other.

I saw your edit. The thing is that most companies will say, do I want my users to be able to use the most widely used MP3 player in their cars for their enjoyment, or will I make the commitment to only allowing people with a certain brand of phone to be able to use it in the car. Most companies will choose an ipod control accessory, which ironically enough, also works with the iphone. Integrating audio controls with the phones themselves just isnt as important. I'd venture to guess most folks who own an android phone have an ipod as well.

very fair and valid points all around.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)

Actually, I think you are totally wrong on this point. If they tweak the OS, then they start losing out on the updates to the Android OS (can't go from v2.1 to v2.2 as an example). This is already the case for a few phones, and is a good reason NOT to buy them.

Here's an article on just that sort of thing:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/androids-acne-problem

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
EVO is still 2.1, correct? If so, then yes.

It is 2.1 but every rooted android phone that has 2.2 on it is showing incredibly faster processing power and much improved battery life.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
Actually, I think you are totally wrong on this point. If they tweak the OS, then they start losing out on the updates to the Android OS (can't go from v2.1 to v2.2 as an example). This is already the case for a few phones, and is a good reason NOT to buy them.

My personal belief is that in the end a unified UI will win out, but I completely understand the argument about wanting your Andoid phone to stand out.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)

Interesting. I didnt know about the upgrade. I assume once the hardware companies will then unleash 2.2 versions with their skins on top of that as well which will make users buy more phones. You just simply dont see hardware companies unleashing the exact same OS on phones that compete with each other, the OS was one of the things that always made phones very different from each other.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
It is 2.1 but every rooted android phone that has 2.2 on it is showing incredibly faster processing power and much improved battery life.

great to hear. I really hate to leave Verizon... why leave something that has worked so well for me for 10+ years? I hope Verizon has some very solid Android based LTE phone when they roll out the network.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

I love this competition to be honest.

You have cellular carriers competing against one another for the most superior service for their.

You have hardware vendors competing for the best piece of technology for their customers.

You have software companies and developers competing for the best end user experience and customer loyalty.

You have accessory companies competing for the best experience and value for their customers.

It really cant get much better than this. Cable and Sat companies arent even competing and advancing as much as this market. I f***ing love it. Its about f***ing time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
Interesting. I didnt know about the upgrade. I assume once the hardware companies will then unleash 2.2 versions with their skins on top of that as well which will make users buy more phones. You just simply dont see hardware companies unleashing the exact same OS on phones that compete with each other, the OS was one of the things that always made phones very different from each other.

Yeah, I just read about this yesterday. The problem with them working on skins of 2.2 is that Google is working on 2.3 while they are doing that (as an example). So, they may release their phone with this great, new skin on 2.2 while Google releases 2.3 and already does many of the things their skin does while adding other improvements. Then, the 2.3 version won't port over. So, the company would need to try and work on 2.3 while Google just keeps on moving. It's a losing game IMO as they would always be playing catch up with what is a company focused much more on software than any hardware company would/should be.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

You have cellular carriers competing against one another for the most superior service for their.

You have hardware vendors competing for the best piece of technology for their customers.

You have software companies and developers competing for the best end user experience and customer loyalty.

You have accessory companies competing for the best experience and value for their customers.

It really cant get much better than this. Cable and Sat companies arent even competing and advancing as much as this market. I f***ing love it. Its about f***ing time.

^^^^ it's all just creating better products for the users.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Yeah, I just read about this yesterday. The problem with them working on skins of 2.2 is that Google is working on 2.3 while they are doing that (as an example). So, they may release their phone with this great, new skin on 2.2 while Google releases 2.3 and already does many of the things their skin does while adding other improvements. Then, the 2.3 version won't port over. So, the company would need to try and work on 2.3 while Google just keeps on moving. It's a losing game IMO as they would always be playing catch up with what is a company focused much more on software than any hardware company would/should be.

My understanding is that Google is slowing doing its Android release cycles. They realized that the flurry of updates was causing a major issue. So, they might be down to 1 release every 6-12 months.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

Amen. :headbang

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
^^^^ it's all just creating better products for the users.

Its so f***ing awesome. Look at the s*** we are debating nowadays. A few years ago the coolest phone on the planet was a fricking flip phone because it was super thin. Now we are figuring out whose processor is fastest, who allows us to do more things faster on the internet, with video, books, vid chat, etc. Its amazing how far this has come in a few years.

s*** in 2005 I had an old non-color blackberry that I thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I had this cool push email thing, it was super fast and I could search the internet with my scroll wheel.