Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

OSX is very secure, so is Windows. Windows has been secure for a LONG time, despite what people say. What matters most is the thing between the keyboard and the chair.

Are you running a bunch of unnecessary services? If so, I don't care WHAT OS you are using.

Are you browsing random websites from "email" links? See above.

Are you logged in as administrator or root 24/7 even though you don't need to be? See above.

Is your firewall enabled and configured PROPERLY? Furthermore, is it a two way firewall or a useless one way firewall?

I can go on and on.

I don't care what OS you put in front of me, I can harden it to be as secure as possible, it will be virus/malware free, and it will remain that way so long as the users that use it follow some basic instructions.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
OSX is very secure, so is Windows. Windows has been secure for a LONG time, despite what people say. What matters most is the thing between the keyboard and the chair.

Are you running a bunch of unnecessary services? If so, I don't care WHAT OS you are using.

Are you browsing random websites from "email" links? See above.

Are you logged in as administrator or root 24/7 even though you don't need to be? See above.

Is your firewall enabled and configured PROPERLY? Furthermore, is it a two way firewall or a useless one way firewall?

I can go on and on.

I don't care what OS you put in front of me, I can harden it to be as secure as possible, it will be virus/malware free, and it will remain that way so long as the users that use it follow some basic instructions.

I used to do the bolded all the time. It makes a HUGE difference

HP Buys Palm

As you may have heard, HP has just announced the acquisition of Palm for $1.2 billion. It’s a massive move that HP hopes will reshape the mobile industry. I got a chance to talk with Brian Humphries, HP’s Senior Vice President of Strategy and Corporate Development, about the deal just now.

“This is a great opportunity to take two Silicon Valley idols and put them together,” Humphries noted. That’s an obvious statement, but he quickly moved on to the meat. “WebOS is the best-in-class mobile operating system. Our intent is to double down on webOS,” Humphries said.

Hewlett-Packard To Kill Windows 7 Tablet Project

Hewlett-Packard has killed off its much ballyhooed Windows 7 tablet computer, says a source who’s been briefed on the matter.

The device was first unveiled by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer at CES 2010 in January and was supposed to hit the market in mid 2010. But our source tells us that HP is not satisfied with Windows 7 as a tablet operating system and has terminated the project (something CrunchGear mentioned months ago).

HP may also be abandoning Intel-based hardware for its slate lineup simply because it’s too power hungry. That would also rule out Windows 7 as an operating system.

So what will HP use as an operating system? Look for Google-powered devices, which have already been announced. And HP really does seem determined to make a go of the Palm WebOS. They said how important it was to them yesterday, and they will likely experiment with porting it to a slate-type device.

Will WebOS emerge as a successful operating system for tablet devices? That seems very unlikely given the dominance of the closed Apple OS and the likely success of the open Android and Chrome operating systems from Google. To get traction from third party developers with WebOS HP will need to sell a lot of units. And it’s not clear what they’d gain from all that effort, anyway. HP knows how to build and sell hardware, not operating systems.

I must say, one thing I am enjoying about my iPad is the the ability to download samples of books via the iBook store. Usually before I head into work for nightshifts or weekend shifts, I will download a bunch of samples (usually 1 or 2 chapters) of books that appear somewhat interesting from the iBook store. I then read through them during down times at work, and if I find something really interesting, I might buy the full book. While this certainly doesn't sound all that extraordinary or unintended, I've found that just having such easy and quick access to samples of books on a 24-hour basis has broadened my interest range and led me to quite a few interesting books.

If nothing else, the iPad has already led me to read several books and authors I would have never read previously (or at least not until a much later date).

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 8, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Apple developing Flash alternative named Gianduia

Sounds like you write in Objective-C and it somehow translates into HTML5+JavaScript.

There needs to be a set standard for web development, so I like this. I am a programmer in Flash and .NET, so I can see this from all sides. Flash ActionScript 4 needs to be compatible with HTML 5, or at least a giant step closer. .NET and Silverlight will have less work to do, but still have a funky setup of a XML/HTML mismash to run Silverlight.

The Flash creative environment is still the best around and will continue to be, however having to install an extra plugin just to run a "language" is not the way of the future with HTML 5 implementation. HTML 5 offers a new "embed" tag that is used for Flash, but it still needs to be better from Adobe's side.

Like Flash or not, it's not going anywhere for a while. But the implementation certainly needs to be improved.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 8, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
There needs to be a set standard for web development, so I like this. I am a programmer in Flash and .NET, so I can see this from all sides. Flash ActionScript 4 needs to be compatible with HTML 5, or at least a giant step closer. .NET and Silverlight will have less work to do, but still have a funky setup of a XML/HTML mismash to run Silverlight.

The Flash creative environment is still the best around and will continue to be, however having to install an extra plugin just to run a "language" is not the way of the future with HTML 5 implementation. HTML 5 offers a new "embed" tag that is used for Flash, but it still needs to be better from Adobe's side.

Like Flash or not, it's not going anywhere for a while. But the implementation certainly needs to be improved.

I largely have no issue with Flash in regards to interactive media such as games. But for things like web video and "navigation" i really dislike it.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 8, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
I largely have no issue with Flash in regards to interactive media such as games. But for things like web video and "navigation" i really dislike it.

I agree with this.

The problem with Flash in the mobile format will undoubtedly be in it's battery life effects, not to mention they've already compromised their promise of a "full web experience" with flash mobile in that flash sites need to be redone/reformatted for the mobile variety...that's not very "full web", IMO.

The problem with non mobile Flash, that I have, is like stated above, it's used for many things it's simply not good at (inefficient), and never will be. Flash has a place in the developer community, there is no doubt about this, but it's not for every little thing you do on a website.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/IPAD_KBD...mco=MTc0MjU1NTI

Apple now makes a docking keyboard for the iPad. Can you imagine having something like a desktop computer that is simply a screen and a keyboard and is completely portable for only $570? Oh yeah....it's called a netbook and it sells for half the price at twice the features......

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
Why not a laptop or an actual e-reader instead? Seems more like a marketing thing to me.

I was pretty pissed off at the response to this. yeah, it could just be a deal with apple, but schools do these deals ALL THE TIME with TONS of other products. However, for all the money the school takes from students to do minor aesthetic updates and to buy more flat screen tvs to up their US and World Report rankings, at least the school is spending the students money on a device that could actually enhance their learning experience, and in regards to ebooks, save them some money. I applaud them. I wish so much of my tuition wasn't used in a way tailored to artificially inflate our ranking instead of saving some of our departments that were producing great professors but completely underfunded and would leave.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 21, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
So I sent an e-mail to Steve Jobs today. this should be fun.

I expect a simple answer "nope"

That's a nowhere road. Although it's cool that a CEO would answer emails like that.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 23, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
I was pretty pissed off at the response to this. yeah, it could just be a deal with apple, but schools do these deals ALL THE TIME with TONS of other products. However, for all the money the school takes from students to do minor aesthetic updates and to buy more flat screen tvs to up their US and World Report rankings, at least the school is spending the students money on a device that could actually enhance their learning experience, and in regards to ebooks, save them some money. I applaud them. I wish so much of my tuition wasn't used in a way tailored to artificially inflate our ranking instead of saving some of our departments that were producing great professors but completely underfunded and would leave.

I'm pretty sure the ever increasing tuition that IIT students have to pay is responsible for some of those iPads, if not all of them. Old school people like my dad (who b****es about dinning hall food prices) would probably throw a hissy fit at something like this. And I sort of don't blame him.

It'd be great if the iPad had a more convenient stylus input function. That way, it can be really useful to take notes on, something that I hate to do on pen and paper because I barely bother reading my notes afterwards.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
I'm pretty sure the ever increasing tuition that IIT students have to pay is responsible for some of those iPads, if not all of them. Old school people like my dad (who b****es about dinning hall food prices) would probably throw a hissy fit at something like this. And I sort of don't blame him.

It'd be great if the iPad had a more convenient stylus input function. That way, it can be really useful to take notes on, something that I hate to do on pen and paper because I barely bother reading my notes afterwards.

tuition is going to go up regardless. I'd like to know why my tuition went up 33% with little special perks for me. (j-school was privately funded)

QUOTE (knightni @ May 23, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Sooooo, AT&T is raising the termination fee from $175 to $325 to leave the iPhone for another phone.

Sounds like Apple's smartphone market share is dwindling.

Apple really needs to offer that phone through other providers. I have to figure there's more people in my market...the people who could use and benefit from a smartphone, might be willing to spend the money on one...but have no urge to be under an AT&T contract.