Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
It's pretty deliberate on Facebooks part. Giving FourSquare a big middle finger.

Not only that, but, it appears you cannot remove Places from Facebook at all. Your only options for who sees your "Places" are Friends, Friends of Friends and Everyone. How about "no one"? How about, don't let that application even go near me?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Not only that, but, it appears you cannot remove Places from Facebook at all. Your only options for who sees your "Places" are Friends, Friends of Friends and Everyone. How about "no one"? How about, don't let that application even go near me?

You can change the setting to "only me" which I just did.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
And friends can check in for you with that feature unless you change your settings.

Which everyone on Facebook should do by switching it to "disabled".

F*cking facebook. Default should NEVER be "enabled".

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Which everyone on Facebook should do by switching it to "disabled".

F*cking facebook. Default should NEVER be "enabled".

Well, my understanding is that it only uses your location if you tell it to. you have to go out of your way to Facebook your location. SO, i dont see it being all THAT bad. If you never use it, it is in a sense disabled.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
So far, I see no such option, even looking through the help page. How did you accomplish this?

click the 'account' in the upper right corner

select privacy settings

click 'customize settings'

select 'only me' for Places i check into

select 'disabled' for Friends can check me in to Places

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Well, my understanding is that it only uses your location if you tell it to. you have to go out of your way to Facebook your location. SO, i dont see it being all THAT bad. If you never use it, it is in a sense disabled.

No you misunderstand.

OTHER people can check YOU in as a default setting.

Say Joe Friend checks Athomeboy_2000 into XYZ Stripclub, this may or may not be a problem for you.

So a few really badass new things about the iPad...DirecTV is allowing Sunday NFL Ticket subscribers to watch games remotely on their smartphones and iPads this season (yes, there is a $9.99 monthly fee). This means I can watch the Bears (or any other game I want) here in Vegas on my iPad when I am at work (a few Sundays out of the year). Now that, is just ridiculously awesome.

Secondly, there is an app called Zinio which allows you to get digital magazine subscriptions (I do believe this does work for Mac and Windows machines as well). I subscribed to Rolling Stone and ESPN the Magazine. When the issues are released, they automatically load into your iPad. This allows your iPad to not only be a really cool book reader, but also to store thousands of full-length magazines for when you're on the go. They look absolutely gorgeous too.

Couldn't be happier with this device.

Alright, so, here is a question for some of you tech folks, and further, for Apple-ites. I work in tech, but big machine tech, and I'm not necessarily up on the latest PC/laptop/portable computer capabilities...

I'd love to have an iPad or similar device - one which is highly portable, travels well, has full laptop-like functionality, etc. But, there are a few potential issues. One, the iPad doesn't have a ton of memory space - and I have like 60 GB of data (mostly pictures, iTunes and rasterized maps), and that number goes up all the time. Two, I live my financial life in Quicken, and I am not sure you can even run Quicken on Apple products at all, let alone an iPad. Three, I'd like to also have a real keyboard and dual monitor setup at a desk as well.

So I was thinking, my ultimate setup would be to have a dual monitor setup on a desk, but also an iPad or similar device, that acted like a remote device. The main computer could store everything, use Quicken and some mapping programs, etc. But I would still want to take the iPad with me, and have it at least have some of the files on the PC stored on it as well, in addition to all the usual programs. As a final addition, I'd like it if my wife's iPad or similar could also hook up with the base computer, and do the same sorts of things.

Is there a reasonably cheap way to make that work? I mean, obviously I'd need the iPad or two, and the monitors and keyboard. But does Apple make a standing computer that can act in the way I describe, that could be the base station? Could they all communicate wirelessly as well?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
Alright, so, here is a question for some of you tech folks, and further, for Apple-ites. I work in tech, but big machine tech, and I'm not necessarily up on the latest PC/laptop/portable computer capabilities...

I'd love to have an iPad or similar device - one which is highly portable, travels well, has full laptop-like functionality, etc. But, there are a few potential issues. One, the iPad doesn't have a ton of memory space - and I have like 60 GB of data (mostly pictures, iTunes and rasterized maps), and that number goes up all the time. Two, I live my financial life in Quicken, and I am not sure you can even run Quicken on Apple products at all, let alone an iPad. Three, I'd like to also have a real keyboard and dual monitor setup at a desk as well.

So I was thinking, my ultimate setup would be to have a dual monitor setup on a desk, but also an iPad or similar device, that acted like a remote device. The main computer could store everything, use Quicken and some mapping programs, etc. But I would still want to take the iPad with me, and have it at least have some of the files on the PC stored on it as well, in addition to all the usual programs. As a final addition, I'd like it if my wife's iPad or similar could also hook up with the base computer, and do the same sorts of things.

Is there a reasonably cheap way to make that work? I mean, obviously I'd need the iPad or two, and the monitors and keyboard. But does Apple make a standing computer that can act in the way I describe, that could be the base station? Could they all communicate wirelessly as well?

They cannot synch wirelessly for general items such as iTunes synching -- yet anyway, this functionality will come. Some iPhone/iPad apps CAN synch wirelessly, however, but it depends on the app and if the makers of that app implemented it. For example, my password encrypter (1password), synchronizes wirelessly to my Mac.

iPAD's don't have unlimited storage space (no portable devices do), so you have to pick and choose what you want to bring with you on the portables, for example, you take a few gigs of your music, not ALL of your music, pictures, etc.

Quicken for Mac : http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance...al-software.jsp

Quicken for iPhone/iPad : http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance...application.jsp

These devices work with Windows or OSX (Mac's), so it doesn't matter what your base station is, Windows or otherwise, iPods/iPhones/iPad's can synch to them via iTunes just like anything else. Apple computers can use any monitor/monitors you have, so you don't "have" to buy Apple branded monitors, they will work with your Dell or HP monitors, too.

Not sure what questions I missed. :D

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
They cannot synch wirelessly for general items such as iTunes synching -- yet anyway, this functionality will come. Some iPhone/iPad apps CAN synch wirelessly, however, but it depends on the app and if the makers of that app implemented it. For example, my password encrypter (1password), synchronizes wirelessly to my Mac.

iPAD's don't have unlimited storage space (no portable devices do), so you have to pick and choose what you want to bring with you on the portables, for example, you take a few gigs of your music, not ALL of your music, pictures, etc.

Quicken for Mac : http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance...al-software.jsp

Quicken for iPhone/iPad : http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance...application.jsp

These devices work with Windows or OSX (Mac's), so it doesn't matter what your base station is, Windows or otherwise, iPods/iPhones/iPad's can synch to them via iTunes just like anything else. Apple computers can use any monitor/monitors you have, so you don't "have" to buy Apple branded monitors, they will work with your Dell or HP monitors, too.

Not sure what questions I missed. :D

Thanks!

The wireless sync I'm not overly concerned with, that was a nice to have. I guess what I'd really like is just to be able to plug an iPad into the base station, and have software that allows me to pick and choose those specific files/directories I want to sync between the units, automatically, when I plug it in. As long as that software exists (so that I don't have to write a batch file myself), then I'd be happy.

But here is the other dilemma - will an iPad sync with a non-Apple computer for file sharing? Because some of the mapping software I use doesn't work on Apple (that I already researched). Looking at the iPad pages on the Apple site, that isn't made clear (the syncing with non-Apple computers), unless I am missing something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:23 AM)
Thanks!

The wireless sync I'm not overly concerned with, that was a nice to have. I guess what I'd really like is just to be able to plug an iPad into the base station, and have software that allows me to pick and choose those specific files/directories I want to sync between the units, automatically, when I plug it in. As long as that software exists (so that I don't have to write a batch file myself), then I'd be happy.

But here is the other dilemma - will an iPad sync with a non-Apple computer for file sharing? Because some of the mapping software I use doesn't work on Apple (that I already researched). Looking at the iPad pages on the Apple site, that isn't made clear (the syncing with non-Apple computers), unless I am missing something.

I believe you can with iTunes, not sure about other file sharing.

Apple

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
That link was helpful, didn't see that one before - thanks!

I don't think file sharing works quite the same way as you'd normally expect with Apple products. There are apps out there that let you move files around, etc, but without jailbreaking, you never have direct access to the iOS devices file system.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't think file sharing works quite the same way as you'd normally expect with Apple products. There are apps out there that let you move files around, etc, but without jailbreaking, you never have direct access to the iOS devices file system.

Well that's annoying.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
Well that's annoying.

Well, it can be. I'm a power user to an extent most here couldn't begin to understand, however, I've never had or felt the need to access my iOS devices file system...just, no real need.

For a desktop computer, it's necessary, for a portable device, it's really not, so long as my the files I do use can be opened with the app they're related too, etc.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
Well, it can be. I'm a power user to an extent most here couldn't begin to understand, however, I've never had or felt the need to access my iOS devices file system...just, no real need.

For a desktop computer, it's necessary, for a portable device, it's really not, so long as my the files I do use can be opened with the app they're related too, etc.

Based on the description from that page iamshack linked, it seems like I can elect file sharing between iPad and a PC just fine. Good enough for my purposes anyway.