Why isn't Ricky Henderson ever in Steroid talk?

Jerksticks

Canseco mentioned a player that is in the hall of fame right now (span of 3-5 years ago.. who knows) that has taken PEDs. There was actually a thread on it (as on many boards) with speculated names and Rickeys name was brought up the most. Canseco (I think 2 days later) said publicly, it was not Rickey however.

Henderson's (ages 20-29) numbers before returning to Oakland - .290/.399/.437/.836, 1286 H, 120 HR, 367 XBH, 701/875 SB/ATT, 135 OPS+ in 5930 PAs

Henderson's (ages 30-44) numbers after returning to Oakland - .268/.404/.407/.810, 1600 H, 171 HR, 468 XBH, 612/760 SB/ATT, 122 OPS+ in 7416 PAs

Is it possible he used? Sure, considering his line after leaving Oakland for a second (technically third, since he was traded for Toronto for half a season) time was .247/.388/.357/.745. Then again, he was 37 by the time he started going on his tour of the baseball nation.

I would say it's much more likely and probable that he did use amphetamines before games.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 01:51 AM)
Henderson's (ages 20-29) numbers before returning to Oakland - .290/.399/.437/.836, 1286 H, 120 HR, 367 XBH, 701/875 SB/ATT, 135 OPS+ in 5930 PAs

Henderson's (ages 30-44) numbers after returning to Oakland - .268/.404/.407/.810, 1600 H, 171 HR, 468 XBH, 612/760 SB/ATT, 122 OPS+ in 7416 PAs

Is it possible he used? Sure, considering his line after leaving Oakland for a second (technically third, since he was traded for Toronto for half a season) time was .247/.388/.357/.745. Then again, he was 37 by the time he started going on his tour of the baseball nation.

I would say it's much more likely and probable that he did use amphetamines before games.

Everybody used amphetamines before games late in the seasons. I've always said banning these will make a bigger impact on baseball than steriods because everyone used them. The older players wear down much more by the end of the season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
Rickey had the best line I have ever heard in an interview over 20 years ago about playing hurt. I'll never forgot it.

"When I'm injury, I'm totally concentrated of my mind."

The guy interviewing him just moved on like it made perfect sense.

Having a pea sized brain reduced his ballast and made him fast.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Rickey had the best line I have ever heard in an interview over 20 years ago about playing hurt. I'll never forgot it.

Probably made perfect sense to Yogi Berra.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
Nothing wrong with a baseball player using steroids.

Even if such a statement is true (and it's not), players who have even reasonable evidence against them have no shot at getting into the hall of fame. So questions such as the title of this thread are very important.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
Everybody used amphetamines before games late in the seasons. I've always said banning these will make a bigger impact on baseball than steriods because everyone used them. The older players wear down much more by the end of the season.
Sorry but I would have to disagree. I have no doubt that many players in the past used "greenies" and other similar pick me ups. The problem with amphetamines is although they can give an energy boost over the short term, in the long haul they have devastating affects in the manner opposite of what they're intended to do. One of the saddest sites of my long ago youth was a burnt out speed freak. Gaunt, pale, paranoid and unhealthy. The strength and stamina long gone. Greenies will not help you bulk up, increase your skull size. Anyone taking them gets a short term edge at best. Comparing greenies to steroids is like comparing a popgun to a bazooka.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
Sorry but I would have to disagree. I have no doubt that many players in the past used "greenies" and other similar pick me ups. The problem with amphetamines is although they can give an energy boost over the short term, in the long haul they have devastating affects in the manner opposite of what they're intended to do. One of the saddest sites of my long ago youth was a burnt out speed freak. Gaunt, pale, paranoid and unhealthy. The strength and stamina long gone. Greenies will not help you bulk up, increase your skull size. Anyone taking them gets a short term edge at best. Comparing greenies to steroids is like comparing a popgun to a bazooka.

I understand what you're saying and it's true as far the steriods.

However, once the end of July hits and players especially older players begin to wear down the "leaded" coffee begins to really flow. Baseball is really an endurance game and as Yogi Berra would say 90% of the game is half mental. Look at players who really wore down at the end of the season such as Dye. This is becoming more commonplace due to the lack of greenies. Of course, the banning of steroids is making a huge difference but only for a select group of players. The greenies is making a difference in everyone's performance. The game is becoming a younger players game again.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
I understand what you're saying and it's true as far the steriods.

However, once the end of July hits and players especially older players begin to wear down the "leaded" coffee begins to really flow. Baseball is really an endurance game and as Yogi Berra would say 90% of the game is half mental. Look at players who really wore down at the end of the season such as Dye. This is becoming more commonplace due to the lack of greenies. Of course, the banning of steroids is making a huge difference but only for a select group of players. The greenies is making a difference in everyone's performance. The game is becoming a younger players game again.

Excellent point, and I couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
Nothing would surprise me. Just because he was before the "steroid era" doesn't mean he couldn't have used steroids.

exactly...steroids were used long before the modern idea of the "Steroid era"

I guarantee there were guys in the early 80s and maybe even in the 70s doing it. Hell football players were, why wouldn't we expect baseball players as well. Likely the roids weren't as effective and potent as they are today, but you can make a good argument that the players who benefited most from steroids were those who used right before the so called steroid era. They had their leg up on the game before the stuff was prevalent and everyone in the league was using.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)

[ring, ring]

[Harold Reynolds]: "Hello?"

[Ricky Henderson]: "Reynolds? Henderson here. Sixty stolen bases? Boyyyy, you should be ashamed of yourself. Ricky had 60 by the break!"

[hangs up]

• 2 weeks later...