Home Security

RockRaines

I wanted to start this topic because i feel it is relevant to all of us regardless of whether you own a home, rent it, or live with someone else. The question is, how far have you gone to secure your home?

Personally, as you know I live in Downtown Chicago. Even though I live in a secure condo building, there have still been break-ins and I get very nervous about the security of my home. Even with a dog, there are ways to get into my unit. Currently I have a regular old deadbolt and handle with a small plate blocking crowbar entry into my condo ( as this has been a way of entry in our building before). I also have a security system that I dont usually set because its really a nuisance.

Because of recent crime waves in Chicago, I just invested in a Sunnect digital deadbolt which apparently is break-in proof. I hope it gives me a little more piece of mind. Of course I have some concealed weapons in the house in case someone wants a go at it while I am home.

I am really bad with this...even after I lived in a condo in the City that was broken into back in 06'.

I live in a condo building like you, Rock, and I just have a regular deadbolt. I live in a building that is not particularly easily accessible by car or on foot. You can find entrance on foot, but you have to get past a doorman as well as have a keycard or fob to get through the door. If you come in via a car, you have to get past an entry booth, and then get up an elevator which does not work without a keycard/fob. There are also 207 security cameras concealed within the building that are constantly monitored.

I feel very safe here, but at the same time, I would not be shocked if a resident of the building found a way to cause some trouble.

I'm on a quiet block, working class community. My neighbors and I work different shifts, if something suspicious is going on someone will notice. If I'm going to be gone for an extended amount of time then I let people know. I have locks on the door ...then again, half of the door is glass so I don't know what good it really does me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
I am really bad with this...even after I lived in a condo in the City that was broken into back in 06'.

I live in a condo building like you, Rock, and I just have a regular deadbolt. I live in a building that is not particularly easily accessible by car or on foot. You can find entrance on foot, but you have to get past a doorman as well as have a keycard or fob to get through the door. If you come in via a car, you have to get past an entry booth, and then get up an elevator which does not work without a keycard/fob. There are also 207 security cameras concealed within the building that are constantly monitored.

I feel very safe here, but at the same time, I would not be shocked if a resident of the building found a way to cause some trouble.

That was the problem in my building previously, one of the residents helped his friend break into multiple units. We have also had a little bit of crime lately where an experienced locksmith was picking locks and then breaking in without anyone knowing it.

I often leave some of my doors unlocked unless I'm going to be gone overnight. I do have a dog and a couple registered handguns in the house, but it's a quiet suburban neighborhood with no history of break-ins or problems. There's also two cops who live on the street, and two more in the nighborhood, and everyone knows it. Probably not the smartest idea but my parents live in the same neighborhood and we've done it, as well as many friends of mine growing up, for years.

Of course, if I lived elsewhere or had kids, I would take more precaution and probably have a home security system like a Brinks.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (Soxy @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Giant dog and regular door locks.

Of course I also live in Duluth, so i could probably go without the locks. :)

What kind of dog, Soxy? My parents have a security system called Watson/Eirnan/Rory/Cian, better known as an English Mastiff and 3 Irish Wolfhounds.

They tend to work very well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
What kind of dog, Soxy? My parents have a security system called Watson/Eirnan/Rory/Cian, better known as an English Mastiff and 3 Irish Wolfhounds.

Right I have a dog as well. But I heard stories of intruders poisoning dogs. Also my concern is when im on vacay or traveling because I put my dog in the kennel.

Monitored security system. Now that the kids are older and not there all the time, I can get to a gun fairly quickly. My bedroom set has a couple hidden compartments which would take a burgler more than a few seconds to locate. One I modified to where it will not open without something else happening. So I feel reasonable safe that a burgler would not use my own gun on me. It also is an extra step that I would have to be awake enough to get to the gun and possible not accidentally shoot someone.

And those that remember my position during some of the earlier gun debates, I am still against having a loaded gun in a house with children. I decided the risk of a break in was less than the risk of the kids screwing aorund and hurting themselves or someone else.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Right I have a dog as well. But I heard stories of intruders poisoning dogs. Also my concern is when im on vacay or traveling because I put my dog in the kennel.

Train the dog to not eat something unless you say "OK". I had my lab trained that way.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Monitored security system. Now that the kids are older and not there all the time, I can get to a gun fairly quickly. My bedroom set has a couple hidden compartments which would take a burgler more than a few seconds to locate. One I modified to where it will not open without something else happening. So I feel reasonable safe that a burgler would not use my own gun on me. It also is an extra step that I would have to be awake enough to get to the gun and possible not accidentally shoot someone.

And those that remember my position during some of the earlier gun debates, I am still against having a loaded gun in a house with children. I decided the risk of a break in was less than the risk of the kids screwing aorund and hurting themselves or someone else.

I'd be interested to hear more about those secret compartments. I am not a huge gun advocate, but if some s*** goes down in this area some day, I want the ability to defend myself.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
I'd be interested to hear more about those secret compartments. I am not a huge gun advocate, but if some s*** goes down in this area some day, I want the ability to defend myself.

My bedroom set has a couple drawers and areas that are not obvious. Basically pieces of trim hide shelves and such that lift or slide out. I saw them a several styles when I bought this quite a while ago. One compartment I drilled a couple holes in and modified it so you have to do a couple things and then it will slide open. Nothing too fancy, just enough.

Visit a decent furniture store, they should have them.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
My bedroom set has a couple drawers and areas that are not obvious. Basically pieces of trim hide shelves and such that lift or slide out. I saw them a several styles when I bought this quite a while ago. One compartment I drilled a couple holes in and modified it so you have to do a couple things and then it will slide open. Nothing too fancy, just enough.

Visit a decent furniture store, they should have them.

I like the idea for sure. I'm not very handy however.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
I like the idea for sure. I'm not very handy however.

Don't worry about modifying it then. I just ran a bolt through a couple holes and routed a wire to where you have to pull the pin out before it will slide. Basically, if someone was checking they would think that piece of trim doesn't slide out. It's about 4" high and 12" deep and 18" wide. Matches all the other trim, except it hides that drawer.

I was honestly worried about having a nightmare and grabbing the gun and shooting at shadows.

Deadbolts on both entry-ways, two cats that scatter at the sight of strangers, and an ADT sign out front. We don't pay the ADT, we just have the sign.

However, we live in an extremely low-crime suburb with lots of police presence.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)

Great Dane/lab mix.

But they really need to watch out for my evil little cairn/boston terrier mix.