Thursday's game to broadcast on WSCR

SAVVY18

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
Saturday's game will be on the Score also, but it will be an interactive game.

I shutter at the thought. No offense, Rongey.

Thursday's game will also be shown on MLB Network at 10 pm obviously on tape delay and Friday's game will be broadcast live on whitesox.com. So we're only 23 hours away from seeing White Sox baseball.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)

Thursday's game will also be shown on MLB Network at 10 pm obviously on tape delay and Friday's game will be broadcast live on whitesox.com. So we're only 23 hours away from seeing White Sox baseball.

I believe I saw in the paper yesterday that the Saturday game in on WGN, but it might be a Cubs broadcast

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I believe I saw in the paper yesterday that the Saturday game in on WGN, but it might be a Cubs broadcast

At least we will find out what the Len and Bob band was up to in the off season. We might also get a smash cut to a clip of their cover of the seventh inning stretch at a live gig somewhere (cubby bear).

Edited by respectRESPECT

Great, instead of hearing Who You Crappin, I get to listen for a Brent Lillibridge groundout or Daniel Cabrera walk. I do really miss White Sox baseball but I can only listen to a spring training game on the radio for a couple minutes before I have to change the channel. Especially when the regulars arent playing at all.

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
Saturday's game will be on the Score also, but it will be an interactive game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)

Damn you guys! Where's the support??? You're all being removed from my will.

Actually, the reason they made the decision a couple of years ago to do this was because a lot of fans and listeners feel like this:

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
Great, instead of hearing Who You Crappin, I get to listen for a Brent Lillibridge groundout or Daniel Cabrera walk. I do really miss White Sox baseball but I can only listen to a spring training game on the radio for a couple minutes before I have to change the channel. Especially when the regulars arent playing at all.

A lot of people feel that way. I remember getting complaints in '06 because we aired 15 spring games, which was on the high end of what a lot of teams do. The fact is that most people tune out after the first few innings because, like Hurt said, most people don't really care to listen to a game when the announcers don't even know who's playing. I understand that.

But since we were obligated to have 15 broadcasts because of the contract, they came up with the interactive idea (which a couple of other teams adopted. I can't remember who they were, off the top of my head). At least it gives people a chance to talk about the team, which seems to draw more interest this time of year. We also replaced some of the games with the White Sox Baseball Live shows which air from 6p to 10p. We do a few of those throught the month, too.

Edited by Ranger

Most listeners are morons. I for one would rather listen to a live Brent Lillibridge groundout than listen to some turd call into the radio to harp on the same s*** over and over again. Real Sox fans are interested in all the players, 25-man roster or not. And actually, ST is one of my favorite times of the baseball year because you get to see some of the prospects play.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
Most listeners are morons. I for one would rather listen to a live Brent Lillibridge groundout than listen to some turd call into the radio to harp on the same s*** over and over again. Real Sox fans are interested in all the players, 25-man roster or not. And actually, ST is one of my favorite times of the baseball year because you get to see some of the prospects play.

I don't know if it makes a person a "real fan" just because they like to listen to all of the spring games. I think most people and fans (even real fans) only care about what happens with the big league club and what happens at the minor league level if it has a direct and imminent effect on the 25 man roster...kind of like how people felt about Beckham last year. Some people just like prospects and like to pay attention to prospects, but that doesn't make them better Sox fans than anyone else. I don't think it makes anyone a lesser fan for not knowing, or caring, who is wearing #89 in a game in March. Plus, it's one thing to see the no-name guys play as opposed to just hearing it.

I had an email conversation with a guy last season that was pretty pissed about the interactive thing, and I tried explaining to him that the great majority of listeners and fans don't want to hear that many spring games. You like it, he likes it, and I like it, but that doesn't mean that most people do. Most people only really care about games that matter. And as we know, spring training outcomes don't necessarily mean anything about how the actual season is going to go. Therefore, most fans would rather talk about, and hear some discussion about, their team.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
^And you also get to hear Farmio mispronounce the names of top prospects. I called Clayton Richard Clayton Re-charred for about a year thanks to Farmio.

Wasn't that Danny Richar?

Edited by Ranger

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
I don't know if it makes a person a "real fan" just because they like to listen to all of the spring games. I think most people and fans (even real fans) only care about what happens with the big league club and what happens at the minor league level if it has a direct and imminent effect on the 25 man roster...kind of like how people felt about Beckham last year. Some people just like prospects and like to pay attention to prospects, but that doesn't make them better Sox fans than anyone else. I don't think it makes anyone a lesser fan for not knowing, or caring, who is wearing #89 in a game in March. Plus, it's one thing to see the no-name guys play as opposed to just hearing it.

I had an email conversation with a guy last season that was pretty pissed about the interactive thing, and I tried explaining to him that the great majority of listeners and fans don't want to hear that many spring games. You like it, he likes it, and I like it, but that doesn't mean that most people do. Most people only really care about games that matter. And as we know, spring training outcomes don't necessarily mean anything about how the actual season is going to go. Therefore, most fans would rather talk about, and hear some discussion about, their team.

I'm just being a smelly butthole, like it says on the left. Still, I'd much rather hear real sports than people talking about sports, no offense to you or your homies over there at WSCR. Even if the baseball is essentially meaningless at least we're hearing real baseball sounds in the background while Farmer talks about golf. But I get what you're saying anyway. I just don't like it.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
Wasn't that Danny Richar?

He called Clayton Richard Clayton Re-charred, but I don't remember what he called Danny Richar. I have no idea how that name is pronounced as I've heard Ree-char, Ree-shar, Rich-ar, and Rich-shar. So if Farmio f***ed that one up then he gets a pass because nobody else knows how to pronounce it either. But I swear I thought Clayton Richard's family was French after hearing Farmio pronounce it.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 07:40 PM)
Damn you guys! Where's the support??? You're all being removed from my will.

Actually, the reason they made the decision a couple of years ago to do this was because a lot of fans and listeners feel like this:

A lot of people feel that way. I remember getting complaints in '06 because we aired 15 spring games, which was on the high end of what a lot of teams do. The fact is that most people tune out after the first few innings because, like Hurt said, most people don't really care to listen to a game when the announcers don't even know who's playing. I understand that.

But since we were obligated to have 15 broadcasts because of the contract, they came up with the interactive idea (which a couple of other teams adopted. I can't remember who they were, off the top of my head). At least it gives people a chance to talk about the team, which seems to draw more interest this time of year. We also replaced some of the games with the White Sox Baseball Live shows which air from 6p to 10p. We do a few of those throught the month, too.

Yeah, in reality the interactive games are probably more of a crowd-pleaser, in all honesty I likely wouldn't listen either way. Spring Training baseball on the radio don't do much for me and it just makes it worse when it's turned into an extended version of the post game show. I have a lower tolerance for stupid baseball thoughts than most and it doesn't get much more ignorant than the calls you field after every game. I understand why you've adopted the interactive format but it's just not for me.

I really actually like when Farmio, D.J. and Ranger get all causal. It usually only happens around rain delays, but a pretty good rapport exists between the 3. I imagine spring training will provide a similiar atmosphere, and i would listen were my computer capable of giving me sound while in safe mode.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
I'm just being a smelly butthole, like it says on the left. Still, I'd much rather hear real sports than people talking about sports, no offense to you or your homies over there at WSCR. Even if the baseball is essentially meaningless at least we're hearing real baseball sounds in the background while Farmer talks about golf. But I get what you're saying anyway. I just don't like it.

Ha! This one made me laugh. The funny thing is that those interactive games are the one time golf won't be a topic....because I won't ask him about it. I don't play golf.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
I really actually like when Farmio, D.J. and Ranger get all causal. It usually only happens around rain delays, but a pretty good rapport exists between the 3. I imagine spring training will provide a similiar atmosphere, and i would listen were my computer capable of giving me sound while in safe mode.

There was one game last year, against the Orioles I believe, where Joe Cowardly was on the air apparently all high on drugs after AJ and the Kiss Demon Dale Torborg beat the s*** out of him in a pro-wrestling match. That was pretty funny. IIRC this was the rain delay broadcast where DJ kind of shed the Barney Fife character he played alongside Hawk to reveal a more Cleveland-like persona underneath. That was actually a pretty good broadcast and much of it was spent ripping on MacDougal. I remember Farmer??? saying how teammates know when players are going to get dropped and therefore stop lending money to these people. I found that insightful.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)
Ha! This one made me laugh. The funny thing is that those interactive games are the one time golf won't be a topic....because I won't ask him about it. I don't play golf.

Cool. You should make a compromise though and close the lines to callers. Just have a rain delay theatre-type broadcast where someone periodically announces what's happening while everyone else talks about stupid s*** that loosely relates to baseball.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)

Ranger, you must take up golf. It's a great sport, has parallels to baseball (hitting a stationary ball instead of a moving one), and to move up the ladder in the White Sox broadcasting hierarchy, it will help you. Plus we live in a great area for golf, as well as baseball. I ran into Farmio at the clubhouse turn at Cog's Hill Dubsdread in Lemont last year, before one of the afternoon Cubs/Sox games at Wrigley - told him to watch out for the rats! Southside golf is like Southside baseball - the best!