2010 Season Preview: Birmingham Barons

Ozzie Ball

2010 Season Preview: Birmingham Barons

On to part three of the season preview series and it's the turn of the Birmingham Barons. After a record setting 2009 campaign, how will the Barons fare in 2010?

2009 in review:

The Birmingham Barons set a team record last year winning 92 games with a .662 winning percentage. The Barons' nearest rivals, the Jacksonville Suns, finished a whole 10.5 games back, however they did sweep the Barons out of the playoffs. The Barons were an offensive juggernaut, leading the Southern League in a whole host of offensive categories, including OPS, R, RBI and HR. David Cook (25 HR), Stefan Gartrell (19 HR), Tyler Flowers (.993 OPS) and C.J. Retherford (.813 OPS) were amongst their team leaders. The Barons were also very strong on the pitching front as they finished second in the league in ERA, WHIP and shutouts. They received solid contributions from lots of different pitchers, but John Ely was the mainstay and he led the team in ERA (2.82), wins (14), strikeouts (125) and WHIP (1.22).

Now to the 2010 team...

http://bit.ly/dyiEBf

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
From a prospect perspective, that Barons team looks really really, well "Baron". Morel is one of the lone bright spots when it comes to major league potential. Great job on these pieces too Ozzie. They have been very informative.

Wow, the Barons really are "barren." Oh well, I'm definitely excited to see how Morel does this year. But jeez, the infield is so weak...

Regardless, I'm going to catch a game or two (baring an unforeseen circumstance) when the Barons come to Knoxville in late April, so hopefully I'll have some good stuff to report.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
Wow, the Barons really are "barren." Oh well, I'm definitely excited to see how Morel does this year. But jeez, the infield is so weak...

Regardless, I'm going to catch a game or two (baring an unforeseen circumstance) when the Barons come to Knoxville in late April, so hopefully I'll have some good stuff to report.

I'm in the first row behind the home team dugout for Sunday's game.

That article was kinda depressing. Not a whole lot to get excited about (Jared Mitchell's injury f***ing sucks). And I think it's safe to say that it's put up or shut up time for John Shelby. He's going to be 25 in August. It's getting to the point that he no longer can be considered a prospect.