Apparent shoebombing actually just douchebag Diplo

bmags

Yep, what was originally reported and thought was a shoe bombing was actually just the Qatar diplomat being a douchebag and smoking in the bathroom. And when asked by air marshals, he joked that he was lighting his shoe on fire. Funny, right? You know what makes it less funny...douchebag is a diplomat, and therefore has diplomatic immunity.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/...2.php?ref=fpblg

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2010...oke.php?ref=fpa

A law enforcement official says an incident aboard a Washington to Denver flight Wednesday night appears to have been a misunderstanding after the man was confronted trying to sneak a smoke in the bathroom.

The official says the man "made a joke about it" — which only alarmed people further.

No explosives were found on the man and officials do not believe he was trying to harm anyone.

The official was not authorized to discuss details of the case and therefore spoke on condition of anonymity.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI is probing whether a man tried to ignite his shoes on a DC to Denver flight Wednesday, according to law enforcement officials, who say the man is a Qatari diplomat.

An official said an air marshal on the flight apparently restrained them. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the investigation.

The officials said fighter jets were scrambled but proved unnecessary, as the plane landed safely in Denver with no injuries to passengers.

Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman Kristin Lee said the man is being interviewed by law enforcement officials in Denver.

Two officials say the man is a Qatari diplomat who has been in the United States for years.

Unlike the Christmas Day bomb attempt on an Detroit-bound airliner, officials say it is not immediately clear what the man was trying to do — something harmful like start a fire or explosion, or something as innocent as smoke a cigarette.

Officials insisted Wednesday night it was still too early to tell whether the incident was an attempted act of terrorism or a giant misunderstanding.

A media hot line at Denver International Airport says the United Flight 663 from Washington to Denver was met by FBI and TSA officials around 7 p.m. MDT. Airport officials didn't immediately return phone calls to The Associated Press.

___

Associated Press writer Judith Kohler in Denver contributed to this report.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
Yep, what was originally reported and thought was a shoe bombing was actually just the Qatar diplomat being a douchebag and smoking in the bathroom. And when asked by air marshals, he joked that he was lighting his shoe on fire. Funny, right? You know what makes it less funny...douchebag is a diplomat, and therefore has diplomatic immunity.

I can't see this without thinking of that constipated lookin putz from Lethal Weapon 2.

The officials said fighter jets were scrambled but proved unnecessary, as the plane landed safely in Denver with no injuries to passengers.

And what the hell were they going to do?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/...2.php?ref=fpblg

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2010...oke.php?ref=fpa

Diplomatic immunity doesn't work that way. The diplomat has to be acting within the scope of his duties or in carrying out his official duties. He broke a federal law by smoking on an airplane and making whatever comments he made, which had nothing to do with his job. He probably won't be imprisoned, but he will likely be kicked out of the country.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
And what the hell were they going to do?

I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure now as a precautionary measure. If there was ever an event again when American planes were commandeered by terrorists or whoever I'm pretty sure those planes would be shot down before ever having a chance to crash somewhere of their choosing.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
Diplomatic immunity doesn't work that way. The diplomat has to be acting within the scope of his duties or in carrying out his official duties. He broke a federal law by smoking on an airplane and making whatever comments he made, which had nothing to do with his job. He probably won't be imprisoned, but he will likely be kicked out of the country.

if they are allowed to park wherever the hell they want and it be "carrying out their duties" then how is him smoking while traveling to perform his duties not "carrying out his duties"

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
I can't see this without thinking of that constipated lookin putz from Lethal Weapon 2.

Diplomatic immunitaayyy!

*bang*

HAS JUST BEEN REVOKED

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure now as a precautionary measure. If there was ever an event again when American planes were commandeered by terrorists or whoever I'm pretty sure those planes would be shot down before ever having a chance to crash somewhere of their choosing.

Which shows the insanity of the situation. A guy threatens to blow up a plane with a bomb, we respond by shooting down the plane?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
Which shows the insanity of the situation. A guy threatens to blow up a plane with a bomb, we respond by shooting down the plane?

No. Guy attempts to fly plane into buildings containing thousands of people, we respond by shooting down the plane.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
No. Guy attempts to fly plane into buildings containing thousands of people, we respond by shooting down the plane.

No. Guy wants to kill people and get on TV for his cause. We respond by shooting down the plane, killing people and getting him on TV for his cause. He won't even need the bomb, only the threat of one. We'll provide the bomb at the end of a missle. No assembly required.

s***ty, no win situation. I am glad I will never be in the position to make that call.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 07:10 AM)
No. Guy wants to kill people and get on TV for his cause. We respond by shooting down the plane, killing people and getting him on TV for his cause. He won't even need the bomb, only the threat of one. We'll provide the bomb at the end of a missle. No assembly required.

s***ty, no win situation. I am glad I will never be in the position to make that call.

200 people

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)

Well it's not like they don't try to divert the plane first. They don't just go up there and shoot.

I just don't understand what alternative you would pursue.