Need advice on missed midterm

bigruss

So I missed my Econ 302 midterm last night because of illness, I was throwing up do to bad leftovers I ate (atleast I believe thats what upset my stomach, couldve just been dorm food). I emailed the professor about it and I am hoping he lets me take it at another time or combines this test amount with the next.

Anybody have experience missing one like this? Or have advice?

Im kinda freaking out because it was 25% of my grade.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
So I missed my Econ 302 midterm last night because of illness, I was throwing up do to bad leftovers I ate (atleast I believe thats what upset my stomach, couldve just been dorm food). I emailed the professor about it and I am hoping he lets me take it at another time or combines this test amount with the next.

Depending on the size of your school, I'd go talk to him/her in person.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)

I haven't had this experience personally, but I know that I've had professors who have given make-up exams after having printed "ABSOLUTELY NO MAKE-UP EXAMS" on the syllabus. If you e-mailed your professor ahead of time, you should be fine. Otherwise, you better hope the professor likes you a whole lot.

In other classes I've had, professors have allowed for make-up exams during finals week, while others just want it in before they actually give the test back. Definitely go talk to the professor in person though, that is a key.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Depending on the size of your school, I'd go talk to him/her in person.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
Definitely go talk to the professor in person though, that is a key.

Sooner rather than later. The sooner you contact him and explain, the better your chances. If he says no, ask if there is another way to make up the missing points such as a paper.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
I hope you e-mailed your professor beforehand. This sounds more like "skipped class forgot midterm" than sickness. I'd have gone to the midterm come hell or high water!

In my day, I would have shown up and told the prof in person that I couldn't take it.

However, with people's fears about flu these days there isn't so much respect for showing up sick. Even in law school, if you email saying you are throwing up, they will take your word for it. They'd prefer a doctor's note, but they would rather not take a chance on spreading illness.

Unfortunately, all profs are different.

The only midterm I ever missed the professor let everyone off the hook because it was the day after Wisconsin made the Final 4.

My roomate missed a few midterms, to mixed results. The worst result was when he sent a message to the professor claiming that he had a vision of the Columbia (spaceship) explosion and that he couldnt leave the apartment because he was suffering mental side effects.

Obviously the earlier you sent the message the better.

I missed a final last year, because I misread the schedule. Just go to the teacher (or shoot him an email), and be honest. Apologize profusely. He's not out to get you, tell him you want to take it ASAP, don't allow him to think that you're bulls***ting him or stalling.

I told him my story and that I am willing to do whatever it takes to make up for it, whether it be taking a make up test this upcoming week or pooling the midterm pts into the final test grade (adding the 25% to what I get on the final).

I guess Ill have to see how he responds. He seems like a nice guy, but I have never been in this situation before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
I'd have showed up to the midterm with a large mop bucket. "Professor, I can stay and take this test if you want, but I guarantee this bucket will get filled by the time I'm done."

I think most profs understand that these sorts of things can happen...but they also know that if they let 5 people try the same excuse, at least 1 of them is likely to be B.S. That's why I said...if you're missing a test, and you're the one with documentation saying "I was sick as a dog", then I'd know you weren't the B.S. one.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
I told him my story and that I am willing to do whatever it takes to make up for it, whether it be taking a make up test this upcoming week or pooling the midterm pts into the final test grade (adding the 25% to what I get on the final).

I guess Ill have to see how he responds. He seems like a nice guy, but I have never been in this situation before.

In my experience, almost all professors will let you take a make up exam. I wouldn't fret over it too much, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The professor just emailed me back asking for an emergency dean note (I think I can get that alright) and that I will be able to just take the final and have it count as both tests.

Relief...

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
Did you save any of the puke? You could bring it to him as proof.

You don't think that there are students that would make themselves vomit in order to provide the evidence to get out of a test if they weren't ready to take it?