Alex Rios as a leadoff hitter?

BFirebird

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
Shuffling the lineup will make a marginal difference at best. The Sox won't begin scoring "a lot more runs" until the latter three in your lineup start hitting.

from the Cle series and last night, if Q and/or Beckham start hitting a little they'll score more runs

One question:

Why the HELL is Rios in the 7th spot?!?!!??!?!? The guy is hitting the ball just as well as ANYONE on this damn team. The Twins seem to be just fine batting Span, Mauer, Morneau etc in order as lefties- the LRLR thing isn't good enough. Talk about over thinking the game - Ozzie needs to get a bench coach to talk some sense into him, what a joke

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
I think it is really messed up how Pierre was brought in to solve the leadoff problem yet the problem isn't solved at all.

We already have a good number 9 hitter in Alexei.

well, they've played 14 whole games and his BABIP is around .200. Over their careers Pods and Pierre are 4.7 and 4.8 RCG players, I imagine once the season shakes out they'll both be around those numbers, but to do that Pods will have to stay healthy for about 2 full seasons, something he hasn't made a habit of in his career

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
I think it is really messed up how Pierre was brought in to solve the leadoff problem yet the problem isn't solved at all.

Agreed, but I don't know of any other cheap corner OFs with a .350+ OBP who were available this winter.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
Agreed, but I don't know of any other cheap corner OFs with a .350+ OBP who were available this winter.

Crawford is the closest....but God knows what we would have had to give up, not as much as A-Gon, but then it's the same issue....keeping him in the fold long-term.

Might have been worth it though, at this point it might be a moot point anyway.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
Crawford is the closest....but God knows what we would have had to give up, not as much as A-Gon, but then it's the same issue....keeping him in the fold long-term.

Might have been worth it though, at this point it might be a moot point anyway.

I would've over-paid for Damon, rather than give up Hudson or Flowers/Danks for Crawford.

It's too bad that the Sox don't appear to have an in-house solution to the lead-off spot for the foreseeable future. They'll probably have to over-pay for a veteran, as Kenny did to solve the CF situation last summer.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
I would've over-paid for Damon, rather than give up Hudson or Flowers/Danks for Crawford.

It's too bad that the Sox don't appear to have an in-house solution to the lead-off spot for the foreseeable future. They'll probably have to over-pay for a veteran, as Kenny did to solve the CF situation last summer.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.

The Sox should have held off on trading for Pierre, and put more money towards signing Damon, as there offense would obviously be better with him leading off than Pierre, but what's done is done I guess.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)

The Mitchell setback really doesn't help matters, either.

That puts him a full 2 and probably 3 years away now, at best.